Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
I just got a DS lite as a present. After checking the general thread I figured I should check up on the state of DS homebrew as well. I checked the OP but it looks like it hasn't been updated in a while so I was wondering what my best homebrew choices are. Should I get an Acekard 2i? It seems that the goon supplier (Kalibar) doesn't have anymore and doesn't know when he's getting more. The CycloDS is almost twice as much so I don't think I want to go that route.

I'd mostly be using it for backups. I just know I'm going to lose those tiny little games so I'd like to keep them in a safe place and keep the flashcart in the DS. How do I load games onto the flashcart anyway?

Sorry for my noob-ishness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I just got my Acekart 2i for my DSlite (I got the 2i because I wanted the ability to use it on a DSi if I ever get my hands on one). Anyway, is it just me or is finding updated apps for this thing unnecessarily difficult? Nothing seems to have been updated in years and there's dead links galore. What happened to them all?

Edit: and what's with everything insisting on being in the root of the SD card?

FlyingCheese fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 23, 2010

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Has anyone had any problems with putting the DS to sleep and it not recovering using the Acekard? I closed my DS and opened it and it was completely shut off. I wanted to test it so I closed and opened it at various places (Acekard menu, in-game backup, etc). It happened twice more in game but it's been working fine since then.

I'm running the latest AKAIO if that has anything to do with it.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I'm having a problem with homebrew that accesses the internet on my DSlite. It simply wont connect to my router. DS games can access it just fine, but I haven't seen one homebrew app connect. Is there something specific I have to do to get it to work?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Does anyone else have a problem with the Acekard not staying connected with the DS? Any little jolt in my bag (in it's own pocket) or something unseats the cart and shuts off the DS. The cart is still physically in the DS but it just wont work until I pop it out and put it back in again.

Is this a widespread problem with these things? Should I email acekard or the place I bought it from? (leetmod) I just got it a few days ago.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

commander nojj posted:

Actually yes, this happens to me all the time. It's weird switching from an R4 to this cart and having this happen. Apparently this happens because of the micro sd slot, the slightest jostle to the system/cart can make the contacts on the micro sd card disconnect from the flash cart, even for a small second, but that's all it needs for the system to freeze up.

That really sucks. I wish I knew that before I bought it. I constantly turn it on and off throughout the day and throw it in my bag. Are other carts more durable?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Even the CycloDS, which has pretty good build quality and is considered a top-end flash cart does this from time to time. Apply a certain amount of pressure to certain spots on the back of the DS, and it's liable to lose connection with the contacts and you're hosed. Not even a lot of pressure, just kind of hold it the wrong way or something and you end up having to pop out the cart, reinsert it, and restart the DS. It doesn't happen all the time either, just seemingly at random. Kind of frustrating to get through a 40 minute puzzle in Picross or something and on completion the game freezes because of this.

It's just something you have to deal with, because pretty much all flash carts will do this.

I wonder of applying a small bit of tape would help keep it connected. I rarely ever remove the flashcart so it wouldn't be a problem. It might help, even if it would look ugly.

fishmech posted:

This was the first DSi-exclusive game released in North America, by the way, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Flaw . It came out in October 2009. The other one is this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picture_Perfect_Hair_Salon which came out in November 2009.

You'd think Nintendo would make a great first DSi game like they do with all of their other consoles. Instead we get horrible looking shovelware. It sure doesn't make me want to upgrade.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Keito posted:

I liked playing the first DS because of its size, especially the Lite makes my hands cramp up if using it for a more than a short while. I also love big screens, so I'd be all over the LL if it wasn't for me already owning all three previous revisions. Can't justify getting yet another one.

Why not sell the old versions since you have 3 of them? I can't even see any reason to own the 3 you have already honestly. Sell them and get the XL. You could definitely break even/get money out of it.

Or maybe keep the lite for the GBA slot if you want.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Crackbone posted:

The DSi and XL are both supposed to have nicer speakers - by how much I can't say though. In any event, you can't expect a lot from quarter-sized speakers.

I've heard that the headphone output sounds a ton better than the DSphat/lite.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Is there a guide for transplanting the 3-in-1's guts into the dummy cart?

If it's like any other GBA game, there's 2 tiny hex or tri-wing screws on the back of the cart that go through the pcb and into 2 holes on the front of the cart.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Ineffiable posted:

I've gotten two r4's and a friend got an acekard off https://www.leetmod.com

Sure, they ship from china, but shipping is reasonably fast at about 2-3 weeks. And they have pretty cheap cards.

They do? I got my acekard from them in 3 days.

VVVV That's what I thought.

FlyingCheese fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 5, 2010

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

.Ataraxia. posted:

So I just got a shiny new Acekard 2i in the mail, been using the pos DS-Xtreme for years, so I must say I'm quite impressed with it. I'm only having one small issue though and I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered it. When I put Sands of Destruction in sleep mode, it wont wake up! The screen will flash white for a second, then go black with the led blinking as if it was still sleeping.

I've tried disabling all the patches and it's still a no go. Anyone have any ideas?

EDIT: Nevermind! Redumping the rom solved my problem! I do have another issue though, sometimes soft-resetting will reset my theme and language settings for some reason. Minor annoyance!

Are you using the standard Acekard firmware or the much better AKAIO firmware? I highly suggest you try it. It fixes a ton of bugs and feels like it's faster and better on battery life.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

After about a week of not playing my DS, my Acekard 2i is suddenly not working. My DSLite just says there's no game. I've taken both the Acekard and the memory card out over a dozen times and it still doesn't recognize it.

I looked up counterfeit cards online and it's a real one. I'm also out of the 30 day return policy. :(

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Try putting tape or a piece of post-it or something on the label side near the end with the DS interface contacts, and see if it loads.

This works pretty well. It still happens but it's rare now. Thanks!

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

ghostwritingduck posted:

Is there anyway to play Super Mario Crossover on the DS with a flash cart? That answer will go a long way in deciding whether or not to get one.

Considering it's a flash game, I doubt it.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Leovinus posted:

DS security measures are apparently enforceable laws now.

Well, even here in the US, the DMCA makes it illegal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Millennium_Copyright_Act

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Magnificent Quiver posted:

I'd check that against the new exemptions for the DMCA, since jailbreaking iPhones is now explicitly legal.

Yeah, it's an ever-changing grey area. Though for the longest time bypassing a security measure = instant breach of DMCA, especially if you're selling it.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

clamiam posted:

Yeah, the fact that you can still buy flash carts from US-based stores seems to indicate that Nintendo haven't found a way to do this, or that they're unsure if they'd win in court. I'm OK with that :shobon:

You have to admit though that buying them does seem a tad sketchy. I've never heard of any of the websites you buy them from before. You'll never see flashcarts at Best Buy, Fry's or Radio Shack.

If it were completely legal, they'd be sold in bigger stores. It's definitely a grey area subject.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Mitsune posted:

Just a head's up: AKAIO 1.8.0 was released this morning.

Updated after seeing this post. Everything seems MUCH snappier. I hope the new anti-anti piracy setting does something though, I haven't had a chance to try it out.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

schizopol posted:

it sounds like you would be satisfied with the R4 + 2gb microsd/sd adapter, which sits around 15-20 bucks before shipping, last i checked. You'll have to get your own SD-USB card reader.

Sometimes one or two show up in SA-Mart, but they shouldn't be terribly hard to find online.

No. Get an acekard2i so you're futureproof if you ever want to upgrade to a DSi. Same price, same features. Also, it supports SDHC cards.

Use the AKAIO firmware, it's sweetness.

FlyingCheese fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Nov 19, 2010

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

DigitalMocking posted:

Not sure how anyone could recommend any card but the supercard DSTWO at this point.

Fully functioning GBA emulator.
Fully functioning SNES emulator.
Mostly functioning MAME. (Got this running last night, sound is a little wonky, but I was able to play a dozen or so games without issue, pretty rad.)
Media player that does .avi/mkv files.

I've had no issues with security in new carts, patches have come frequently. It'll run :10bux: more than other cards, but for the features you get, its pretty fantastic.

Oh wow. That's pretty awesome actually. I thought they were more expensive.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

schizopol posted:

is it paranoid of me to take a flashcart out before charging my system?

yes

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

fishmech posted:

The DS screens are each only 256x192 so it's a waste of card space to even use standard def video.

Yeah, pretty much this. There's no reason to ever do HD on a DS. Even if you could do it (I doubt it), it would be a huge waste of battery to play such a huge video on a tiny screen.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

There are better projects to put more effort into, such as a web browser that doesn't suck rear end.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Longanimitas posted:

Are there any good homebrew firmwares for the R4 SDHC? I'm using Moonshell right now and it's kind of lovely.

I don't use the R4 but the Wood R4 firmware is mentioned a lot here.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Longanimitas posted:

That's only for the original R4, and I have an R4 SDHC. I might be SOL.

Some quick googling led me to this which may be of some use, I don't really know. Good luck, wish I could be of more help.

http://gbatemp.net/t255513-wood-for-r4sdhc-clone-only-not-r4-original

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

You're definitely better off bringing a netbook of some kind if that's what you want to do. Browsing the web on the DS sucks.

Edit: unless you just mean playing online.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Be Depressive posted:

If you want to spend the extra 20 bucks or so, DSTwo is pretty awesome. I just got off an 18-hour train ride and if not for watching xvid movies on my DS I would have been bored as hell.

How long did the battery last playing video?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Be Depressive posted:

Apparently current-gen DSi flashcarts still work on the 3DS.

http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2011/02/27/3ds-already-cracked-400000-sold/

So that's good news. I wouldn't want to give up my DSTwo - it can do so many cool things.

Yep, obviously DS/DSi mode only. No 3D support and no access to the additional RAM and processor power though. Hopefully that will come soon.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

fishmech posted:

And unlike softmods, well, you don't actually mod anything. You take out your flashcart and the device is completely normal.

Yeah, homebrew on the Wii is great but if something goes seriously wrong, Nintendo won't fix it. There's no evidence of flashcart use, unlike softmods like that.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

lemonslol posted:

I just bought a DSTT, and I was wondering if I were to :files: the new pokemon game, if I could trade and battle with people that bought the game, and play online and stuff?

Yes. As far as the DS is concerned, you're playing a normal game.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Keito posted:

The sleep mode on the carts I've owned has been equal in power drain to actually leaving the DS open running whatever I'm playing, haven't tried it on the DSTWO yet though.

I've noticed this too with my Acekard 2i. I close the lid for a couple hours to come back to a dead DS. It sucks.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

m2pt5 posted:

I want to get a cheap, but still maintained, slot-1 flashcart to use with my old Phat DS. Am I correct in concluding that the best option that fits these criteria is the Acekard 2i with AKAIO?

Yep. Just keep in mind that you have to install AKAIO yourself (just copy the files over, overwriting the standard install).

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Quad posted:

I trust you guys more than other forums with a bit of engrish on them, and I just wanna make sure I'm not an idiot.
I just got my Acekard2i in the mail, now, ALL I need to do is get the newest AKAIO 1.8.6., right? I don't need to also update the cards firmware separately?

All cards by now would have the latest firmware unless they for some reason have really old stock. And if that's the case chances are the card is a knockoff.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

The Blarghonauts posted:

Also you get a 3D dog video. :smugdog:

Posting it because it's adorable. :3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHlJODYBLKs

Song isn't bad either. 2D version, obviously.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Is the Acekard 2i update for 3DS compatible with AKAIO or will I have to go back to the official firmware?

Considering AKAIO has replaced official on the website as the recommended version, I don't see why not.

Edit: well, I updated to the latest firmware and now it won't boot up. It just sits there with a white screen. I tried loading the official firmware and it's still no good. Must have been a botched firmware flash. gently caress.

FlyingCheese fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Apr 6, 2011

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

After some googling it seems you can easily unbrick an Acekard, but it requires the use of another flashcart (another Acekard was used in the method I found). All you have to do is run the update program on the DS using a working Acekard. You then take out the working one and insert the bricked one before hitting OK then just reflash.

Anyone wanna let me borrow their Acekard for like 5 minutes that lives in the NYC area? I don't want to have to buy another flashcart. :(

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

CaptainPoopsock posted:

Whereabout in NYC are you? I have an AK2i you can use if you're near midtown.

PM sent.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

FlyingCheese posted:

After some googling it seems you can easily unbrick an Acekard, but it requires the use of another flashcart (another Acekard was used in the method I found). All you have to do is run the update program on the DS using a working Acekard. You then take out the working one and insert the bricked one before hitting OK then just reflash.

Anyone wanna let me borrow their Acekard for like 5 minutes that lives in the NYC area? I don't want to have to buy another flashcart. :(

Confirming that this does work. You can reflash a bricked Acekard using another flashcart. Thanks again, CaptainPoopsock, you're the man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Saoshyant posted:

I just came to this thread to check on this, as I saw a couple of minutes ago web sites for a Cyclo3DS and an Acekard 3DS who claim to run 3DS games. Not even DS games on the 3DS, no, 3DS games.

Fake? Or was there some overnight breakthrough?

I don't know about the Cyclo's but the Acekard3DS is just a faked clone. It's not even a good clone either. Avoid like the plague.

http://www.acekard.com/
http://www.akaio.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=909&f=8&sid=b36dd6985628830ab66b0bdd54f3d71b

• Locked thread