Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Deacon of Delicious posted:

Ok, I have an odd problem. I have a used copy of Shiren the Wanderer and would like to delete the previous owner's adventure log data, but there doesn't seem to be any in game way to do that. Is there some kind of slot one program than can be used to delete save data?
This program can backup and restore saves, not sure how you would completely erase it though. Maybe use a file filled with nulls. http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/SavSender

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

kode54 posted:

Yeah, and I think at least the Wii will do funny things if you try to run Nintendo's updater on a soft modded console. Like possibly "brick" it.
They did brick a bunch of consoles, but it wasn't intentional. They patched the bootloader using a function that didn't adequately verify the flash afterwards, leaving people with a corrupted boot2. You have the same odds to get bricked regardless of if you modded or not. Ironically, the homebrew bootloader is safer to patch than the official one.

I can't think of any company that specifically bricks modded consoles, and I don't think anyone is retarded enough to try.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Keito posted:

Seems like the first 3DS flash cart might have shown up: Crown3DS. I don't know if it's real or not, so watch the video and judge by yourselves. Guessing it's just a POC at the current stage, because that thing is many times more horrible than the first solutions we got on the DS.
It also can't run homebrew at all, its a pure piracy device.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Is there any way to backup saves from DS carts? I want to start a NG+ of Etrian Odyssey 3, but that deletes your existing save, which I'd like to keep. I have an R4 and an EZFlash 3-in-1.
Savsender has always been my go-to, but the backup tools linked above work nicely too.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Dr. Dos posted:

Since flashcarts still only run things in DS mode on 3DSes, I imagine eventually that will change. When they do get 3DS mode, is it going to be a software upgrade or will it likely require another new flash cart specifically for the 3DS?

I just traded in my DS Lite and got a 3DS the other day. I haven't been using mine in quite some time, so I'm not in a rush to buy an Acekard or something, especially if I'd have to get another flashcart in a year or whatever to run things in 3DS mode when that time comes.
Honestly, if you still care about DS games/homebrew stuff, you should probably just get a DS mode card. 3DS mode flashcarts are not an inevitability, and there's no indication they're coming any time soon (don't point to the Crown, that doesn't count).

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

Guys, I'm facing an odd situation which I hope someone here will help me figure how to solve. The European release of Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia has the five languages built-in on the game, but whoever implemented the feature decided to lazy it the gently caress up, so when you first start the game, you choose a language and are stuck with it forever without any option to ever change it. I've never seen anything like it.

Now, I just got a copy of this game, but the previous owner chose German, a language I am not familiar with at all, thus I am embarking on a quest to figure out how to format the flash memory that holds all saved data. Supposedly you can manipulate saved data with external tools like an Action Replay (which I don't own), but I'm not aware of the details. Help?
If you have a flashcart, you can use SavSender to send a blank save game. Just a 512KB file full of nulls ought to do it.

Alternatively you can buy something like this. There's a bunch of them out there, you can probably find one for as cheap as $10 if you look hard enough.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

DS games don't have region protection. Unless you're talking about a DSi or 3DS game, in which case they won't run on your DSTwo anyway.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

He doesn't, that's pretty much total BS. The security of the 3DS is entirely due to the fact that Nintendo was actually competent at cryptography this time around. There's no apparent huge fuckup like the DS' horribly broken cartridge authentication or the Wii's usage of strcmp. The 3DS also makes use of protected memory and hierarchical design which will limit the impact of most exploits, but that has nothing to do with whatever CPU magic he's going on about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

OK, a weird question, but I got this preowned copy of Pokemon Ranger Shadows of Almia yesterday. As an European version it has multilanguage support, but the developers implemented it in a very dumb way: soon as you make your first save it sticks with that language permanently and the previous owner put it on Spanish, which is just urgh. There is no way to erase the game to its original format from itself, so now I'm wondering what we got homebrew-wise that can restore a commercial cart to its original state. It's a long shot but I can't imagine anything else. Searching for Action Replay/Gameshark codes that would something like that lead to nothing.
Use something like savegame-manager or backup tool to write a null save file to the cart, and it should reinitialize.

• Locked thread