Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

I've looked over the more recent posts in the thread, and did a little poking around, but I still have a few questions. Apologies if they've come up before.

I've noticed that there are different cards being talked about for the DSi. Am I correct in assuming that the CycloDS that everyone is raving about in this thread is incompatible with the DSi? Are there any top of the line cards out for the DSi, or should I wait a while. Am I better off just find my old DS lite to home brew on?

Edit: Run on's are not cool.

You would be correct. And I don't know if it's an Acekard issue or a DSi issue, but pressure sensitivity is gone in stuff like Colors and homebrew doesn't read the touchscreen if Wifi is on.

As far as DSi-compatible devices go, the only cards that have much functionality over the Acekard 2i, though, are probably the iTouch 2 (which has realtime save) and the Supercard DS One-i (which has that and - allegedly - firmware updates).

(Also: Any current DSi card is backwards compatible all the way to the old fat DS. There may eventually be DSi-only cards, who knows.)

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 26, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Corridor posted:

what is the difference between this one and this one?

The GBA-sized one is designed to work with the GBA/SP/Micro/Player (as a stand alone title - as in for a single game) and the original Nintendo DS. While it will work with the DS lite, it will protrude like any other GBA cartridge.

The one that isn't GBA-sized is designed to sit flush with the DS lite's Slot-2, much like the dummy that comes with it, and while it isn't as flush as that, it gets within about a half-millimeter. Naturally this won't fit in older Nintendo systems, nor in the DSi (for more obvious reasons).

Note that Mother 3 is a 256Mbit cartridge, and if you try to emulate the patched version with the 3-in-1, saving gets complicated. Others in the thread will know more.

quote:

Also, is the 3-in-1 the same thing as this thing here? Different store, slightly more expensive but with free shipping which works out cheaper. Awful descriptive write-ups though.

If you do that: The EZ Flash IV is a Slot-2 solution that uses its own memory and depends on a PassME or something similar. You want the EZ Flash V version.

Also: That store works in Australian dollars (around 80c US each). So technically it's about a buck CHEAPER. But unless you're actually IN Asia, Jandaman is a lot faster.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jun 16, 2009

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Afro posted:

Does the Acekard 2i come with a microSD USB dongle?

Mine did. But it might depend on several factors. I got mine from RealHotStuff and it came in an old Acekard 2 box with a 'DSi Compatible' sticker on it.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Darth l33t posted:

So it lets you use a SD card in a flashcart? How is that any better than using a MicroSD card in the first place? And what kind of latency does it add?

Regular SD cards are available with larger storage capacities and faster speeds (and usually lower prices) than MicroSD cards, and since all it is is copper it's probably just circuit time (maybe a nanosecond).

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

DontMockMySmock posted:

This may be a stupid question, but how do you run .gba homebrew and such on a slot-1 flash cart (which the OP mentions is possible)?

With a slot-2 expansion cart. Read that section in the OP again.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Aug 30, 2009

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Powerful Wizard IRL posted:

Which of these would be the best overall buy?

Nintendo DS Lite - White + Super Card SD
Nintendo DS Lite Onyx + M3 Real Adapter + 2GB MicroSD
Nintendo DSi + Acekard 2i + 2gb MicroSD

Is there a reason you can't pick and choose? (Also the Acekard 2i works on older DSes and unlike the M3 is still supported.)

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

igtenos55 posted:

I was looking at getting an Acekard 2i, but my DSi firmware is v1.4U. Is this going to be a problem?

You'll have to run the 1.4 fix for it on someone else's i-less DS or it won't load at all. Afterward it'll look like the Danny Phantom game, but just on the DSi system menu - it'll still work the same.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Countblanc posted:

Probably a stupid question, but I'd rather not rend my AceKard 2i unusable - after I use the fan-made 1.4 patch and update my DSi, can I safely update the firmware on my AK2i?

By 'fanmade 1.4 patch' you're referring to the DannyKard, right?

Anyway. It's hard to describe the Acekard environment (or AKAIO) as firmware, as it's resident on your microSD card, not in the boot ROM. Really, unless you start setting bootflashers to run everytime you start the card, you can't do anything irreversible from the SD card.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Capsaicin posted:

How exactly do you get AR codes onto a game on the Cyclo? I'm running 1.55 for what it's worth.

http://cheats.gbatemp.net/

Pick the appropriate files. (You probably want the evoCheats one.)

To add your own: Get the Evolution Tools from here and read the guides on that page and in the tools package.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Try it again.

If it sporadically doesn't work, fashion a shim out of a post it cutting or something (this worked for me). If it continuously doesn't work, see if it can read actual titles.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

ShimSham posted:

Is there an online dealer you guys would suggest for an Acekard 2i?
Well, realhotstuff is in the OP, and I never had trouble with it. (And according to the OP, neither did almost anyone else who used it.)

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

kcncuda71 posted:

acekard 2i's work usually out of the box with firmware 1.4. The problem is firmware 1.5 where you need either: a dsi on 1.4, a dslite, or a ds fat to update the acekard 2i. Otherwise it works fine for everything. I haven't had any issues except when i updated my dsi to 1.5 and didn't update the acekard beforehand.

Since when did the DSi come in 1.5? I remember having to use the DannyKard hack just to get the AK2i working with 1.4.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

The Worst posted:

Is there any update for the Acekard 2i that gets rid of that stupid Danny Phantom icon?

An older DS? Seriously, though, until (rather, at this point, unless) the hackers figure out how to forge a DS title's signature and the Acekard team wink-nudges at it it's not going to happen.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Weedle posted:

Is there a way to transfer save data from a retail cart to a CycloDS and back?

Either this or this.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Darth l33t posted:

RealHotStuff.com seems to have it. I was able to put one in my cart, at least.

RealHotStuff has a lot of things other places don't (anymore). Hell, I got a GBA size 3 in 1 expansion pack earlier this week from them.

Edit: And the battery still worked!

v v v Now you see why they're usually the first name I drop.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 21, 2010

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Cool Cool Cool posted:

Sooooooooo...I just bought a DS off SA-Mart, and the guy included a CycloDS. I'm assuming NES emulation is good? What about the Genesis or SNES? Would the extra ram from one of those Slot 2 expansion cards make them run better?

Any of them require shrinking or trimming the display to fit (256x224(240)/320x240 on a 256x192 screen).

NES is well within capacity, and Genesis is doable as well.

Super NES is so not - in fact, the PSP has trouble with most titles, and it's only been since the Core 2 that it could start going MAME-style (instruction accurate, as in wholly without speedhacks) on the PC; this is usually attributed to the Super Nintendo having one of the most complex console architectures of any system before the Playstation 2. The iPlayer is the only Slot-1 card that can do it, and Slot-2 is irrelevant for this purpose.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Hamburglar posted:

I'm confused by what you guys mean "GBA Support". I spent like 80 bucks on something to put in the slot 2 to let me play GBA roms. Are you saying you can put GBA roms in the slot 1 device and with nothing in slot 2 actually play GBA roms?

There is the iPlayer, if all you got is a DSi. It's the only one that doesn't need something in Slot-2 for GBA titles. Also does video. Doesn't do :filez:.

Of course, if you have an original or lite DS, you could just pair any other flash card with a 3-in-1.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

madprocess posted:

Those are standardized types that can be swapped in with just a little effort though, right?

It IS standardised, but neither terribly common nor terribly easy to replace, and replacement parts costs alone would put you over the one-dollar difference.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

FidgetyRat posted:

Still beats having a white 3-in-1 in my black DS :colbert:

But it a good warning to at least let people know.

Is there a guide for transplanting the 3-in-1's guts into the dummy cart?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Hung Yuri posted:

What is that 1.4 thing? I heard something about akiko 1.4 or something but I don't know what that is.

You're thinking of AKAIO (which is up to a 1.6 beta) and that's not what he means.

He means that a DSi on firmware 1.4 won't balk at it. Some cards can flash their bootloaders to make it work (although not all of them can do it while retaining the same game info - for an example, look up DannyKard). Others can't.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

amf5 posted:

I'm kinda curious, what spacer are you talking about?

I've got actually quite a few of these shells since I'm an indecisive douchebag and like taking things apart, but they're all absurdly high quality for what they are (all ordered from DX, by the way). I put replacement cases on both a near-launch DSL and one that I bought roughly a month ago, and as far as I can tell, the replacements are practically identical to the real thing. In fact, the only difference I've been able to find is a single letter on the back stamping (and it's not a typo, so it's pretty much only noticeable if you're looking for it); even most of the internal moldings are identical.

Either they run extras on the mold lines after hours (or on validated copies of the mold lines), or they pile off shells that were either just outside tolerance, disqualified for immaterial reasons, or intended for lots that otherwise fell through. After all, it's easier to duplicate things when you basically don't have to, say when the stuff is not on the books anyway. I can see why it'd be a surprise they're up to the task, though.

v v v Even on a real DS Lite - and parts of the Phat that weren't just stickers or stamps - it looks silkscreened. (Buttons may be screened, stamped/recessed or impregnated with text, depending on model and what they can get.) I'm guessing they don't make off with post-printing stuff, and simply get 'close enough' with parts of the text image they don't have typefaces for and can't be bothered to make precise vector reproductions of, like the logo. After all, silkscreen machines are a lot cheaper and more versatile than ABS plastic molding lines.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Apr 22, 2010

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

FlyingCheese posted:

After about a week of not playing my DS, my Acekard 2i is suddenly not working. My DSLite just says there's no game. I've taken both the Acekard and the memory card out over a dozen times and it still doesn't recognize it.

I looked up counterfeit cards online and it's a real one. I'm also out of the 30 day return policy. :(

Try putting tape or a piece of post-it or something on the label side near the end with the DS interface contacts, and see if it loads.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Phenotype posted:

Can anyone help me get one of these Pokemon Platinum saves running on my Acekard? I download them, then run them through this site, converting them from Action Replay DS files into Acekard 2 / Cyclo / etc. files, and then I rename the save to the name of my ROM and put it on my SD card. Hasn't worked at all. :( I've also tried using the AK Start menu > Properties > Convert Save, but that seems to create a .nds.sav file, which also isn't recognized.

Any ideas, or anyone willing to upload an AK Pokemon Platinum save near the end of the game? I don't want to play my current Pokemon game until I can trade some guys to a save file that can access the Move Relearner.

Go into Acekard settings and tell it to use .nds.sav files, instead of .sav?

Or re-extend the converted file to .sav.

Also make sure the pre-extension names match precisely. And that you're using a save from the same region (no *J-JPN saves on *E-USA carts or images).

... Or maybe the save is bad, or was converted bad. Because if it doesn't recognize it either way....

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 17, 2010

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Keito posted:

There is this cheat database here, but it was last updated in December last year. I think they had a more recent WIP database that was taken down or something. As for saves, it should just be a matter of downloading the poo poo from somewhere and eventually converting the file format using this tool if they are incompatible with your cart.

Yeah, the temp database got discontinued and taken down because scene drama*. The official database is officially 'not dead yet', which is kind of a bullshit claim when it's gone nine months without a single update.

Someone managed to get the final update (from August 7th) and put it up on some file sites, though. Too bad it won't bring back RSS. (This one seems to be the least hassle.)

*What a surprise.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Capnbigboobies posted:

Does anybody think the SNES emulator for the DSTWO will ever materialize? Emulating GBA is actually a LOT easier than SNES.

Probably not. While I don't know what processor is in it, nor how the GBA performs on it, between the heat limits of the system and the fact that the DS display is shorter than the Super NES's render target it might not be worth it to go ahead.

Given that the minimum full-performance clock rate even with as many speed hacks as you can muster are somewhere in the 3~400 MHz range (see PSP and x86, the latter of which is far more well known, if not more so than any other architecture then right around there, but never really got through that floor even though), I honestly wonder - and somewhat doubt - if it can be done.

And yeah, the GBA never had more than 2 or 3 chips working at once, so execution shortcuts never got popular. The Super NES could have anywhere from 3 to 8. And they all had to be in lockstep timing. Full speed cycle-accurate Super NES emulation has only been possible in the last year or two.

Edit: v v v Sweet merciful CRAP the timing. Still, if that's the assessment, then maybe they shouldn't have.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Sep 11, 2010

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Filetrip's pretty much the go-to for anything DS Homebrew these days. (I think they're GBAtemp's file library, actually.)

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Christoff posted:

So I gave my old dsl with bottom flash card to my niece and well I can't take it back.

So I want to get another one. Will try to get it in sa-mart. So you can't use a flash cart with the dsi if it's been updated? Does nintendo make you update it? Am I better off with a dsl just so I don't have problems with it being blocked? I was probably going to get a Acekard 2i and wanted a dsi. what do you guys recommend?

Does the Acekard 2i support sdhc? I'd like a large micro sd card. Should I bother with the high speed ones or will any work fine?

1) Acekard 2i will run up to the SDHC limit (32 GB). Speed WAS an issue with pre-SDHC cards and early flashcards, but it's not going to be a problem these days unless you buy a fake.

2) Things like the DSi store won't work without the latest update. However, there are ways to make a flashcard work on an updated DSi. For the Acekard, this involves making it look like a retail game (because who actually bought Danny Phantom?). Reputable dealers generally do this before sale. If not, borrow someone else's DS (not i) to do the job or just get it somewhere else.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

FlyingCheese posted:

What is a good reputable site that sells the Ez Flash 3-in-1 still? And which is the best version to get?

Real Hot Stuff still sells them.

Only get the GBA sized version if you have a fat DS or a GBA or a GBA SP or a GB Micro or a GB Player that you ever intend to use again (you can keep a game in the non-volatile part of the cart).

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

FlyingCheese posted:

Yeah, I saw it there and then I saw this notice and was slightly confused about what exactly they meant:

PREVIOUS hardware version: New 3 in 1
This hardware version is the predecessor to the PLUS version

I THINK it might sound like "They made a plus version. This isn't it."

I'd have expected an American internet store to use English better.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

japii posted:

I'm thinking of picking up a DSi LL (I'm in Japan) and ordering a flash cart online. Does anyone know what firmware they are probably shipping with nowadays? Also, is there a recommended card I should get due to the region, or is that not an issue?

Region is not an issue. Flashing can be a different story, in some cases, notably older Acekard 2is.

But they don't work with the latest DSi firmware anyway. 1.4.3's pared the working set back to the CycloDSi (in DSi mode only), the iPlayer, the iSmart and the Supercard DStwo. Yes, R4i blah blah blah, but I try not to mention it these days. I'd recommend either the first or the last, the choice between the two depending on whether you want DSi mode or advanced emulation. Dealing with Japan's attitude toward flash carts is up to you.

Also the DSi XL is about the only variant of the DS I've used where the shoulder buttons can actually stay alive under the onslaught of my huge man hands for more than a few months, and the color reproduction is gorgeous and the screens don't do bad things to my eyes like the smaller ones on the other DS variants do. Just know that it's as long as a PSP and 20% wider (and bright enough at backlight 5 to slay vampires), and adjust accordingly.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

E2M2 posted:

Just bought a flashcart from a goon, CycloDS iEvolution. I have firmware 1.4.3, and pretty sure I'm screwed. Oh well. I guess I'll just wait for either a new firmware for the Cyclo or just get a different one.

If it's anywhere near updated, force it to run in DSi mode.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Zorblack posted:

So I just want to ask for sure here, and maybe this stuff should go in the OP soon because 3DS seems to be getting more popular: If I get a cycloDS, and run it in DSi mode, can I get it to update and play my old DS and DSi backups, along with all the assorted emulators and homebrew? I really want to be able to take my old library with me along with my new stuff, and I don't have a huge DS case. I haven't connected my 3DS to the internet to update at all yet, so I just want to know if that is a safe thing to do if I plan to order a CycloDS from SA-Mart for game backups and homebrews. Also, nothing can currently play 3DS backups at this point right?

Unfortunately I know nothing about 3DS flashcarding, except that nothing runs .3ds yet.

However, the reports on Team Cyclops' site are promising.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Xenomrph posted:

So I am looking to buy a Nintendo DSi XL, and I've never homebrewed anything before (not even coffee :suicide: ). I read through the OP but I was a little confused and figured I'd defer to people who know better than I do. :kiddo:

1. I take it the homebrew card I'd want to get is the SuperCard DSTWO? Any particular retailer or whatever that's recommended and has the best price?

2. I take it I also need a MicroSD card - what size should I get, and where should I buy from? I have no experience with MicroSD cards so I don't know what a "good" price is. :saddowns:

I'm not sure if there's other questions I should be asking at this point. :effort:

Flashcard from RealHotStuff. MicroSD card from Amazon or something. Class 6 is fast enough, but Class 10 isn't much more (unless it's 32GB or something, which you shouldn't need).

Information only valid in the United States. I have no idea where you are.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

E2M2 posted:

Just got my Cyclo iEvo and it doesn't work in my updated DSi, guess I'll have to wait on the new bootstrap

Are you running in DSi mode?

Also it could be EXTREMELY un-updated, depending on where you got it. Borrow someone's DS Lite for five minutes and update it.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

moms pubis posted:

I'm thinking of picking up a DSi and flashcart soon. I'm looking at the AceKard 2i and the CycloDS iEvolution. I used to use an Evolution when I had a DS Lite and I really liked it, but I'm wondering whether it's worth the extra $30 over the AceKard. Give me your reasons for liking one or the other.

1) The DSi has a lot of the same problems the DS Lite had. You want a DSi XL unless you need to take it places and you have no place to put it (in which case you may actually want a 3DS).

2) The CycloDS iEvolution has a DSi mode which opens up more processing power for homebrew and DSi features (like camera and WPA) for DSi-enhanced titles - and bypasses the DS's header checks on recent DSi and 3DS firmwares. (Note that you'll probably need some way to enable DSi mode, since you'll probably be buying an updated DS and a not-updated iEvo. I don't know all the details; I don't have an iEvo.)
The Supercard DSTWO has an onboard processor for emulation and multimedia, but the 256x192 render target doesn't do anything other than handheld emulation justice.
The Acekard has the advantage of being cheap, but it's not updated nearly as often or as promptly as, well, any other card out there anymore.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

1) Acekard 2i is the stablest drat thing ever, and unless you need DSi stuff it's bone easy to maintain. (They tend to lag a bit on countering the DSi's anti-flashcart patches.)

2) That 3-in-1 is fine.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Is there anything worth caring about after Kirby Mass Attack and the next Harvest Moon?

Devil Survivor 2?

Also Nintendo may be silly enough to make Pokemon Technicolor or whatever the third 5th gen game will be not 3DS exclusive.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Chinook posted:

I have an old R4, which works great on my DS Lite. I also have a 3-in-1 so I can play GBA stuff, too.

I want to get a new system, because my L and R buttons on my DS Lite barely ever register. It's annoying as heck.

Should I get a DSi, DSiXL, or 3DS? Will the R4 work (as it is now) on any of them, for doing what I want? I understand that the GBA functionality would require a DSTWO, which is fine, I can get that eventually if needed. But how about playing regular old DS stuff on a 3DS or XL? Would my cart work okay for that?

You're lucky your R4 still works on your Lite. It can't even be updated to work with the DSi, and I don't even know if it was updated since the DSi came out. You get anything newer you'll need a new flashcart. DStwo if you can swing it, Acekard 2i if you can't. Try to swing the DStwo.

quote:

Also, am I missing something: does the DSi XL cost as much as a 3DS? Why?

Because its screens are freaking humongousoid and its battery lasts nearly as long as a DS Lite's (roughly three times as long as a 3DS, and twice as long as a PSP (with standard battery) or Vita) and that justifies either deliberately or inadvertently leaving it at the same price point.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Chinook posted:

Yeah, it was updated within the last month. Wood firmware is great, I'm glad I had bumped into it. So do you know if the Wood firmware makes it work with the 3DS or XL? I really just want to play DS stuff, as there's not a lot out for the 3DS to justify it. (especially considering the poo poo battery life)

DSi/XL/3DS expect a valid card header (checksums etc). The DS/Lite only expected a parseable header. The header's in the card's boot area, which the Wood software can't get at. It's nice (and actually a little bit cool) that people still want to keep R4s running, but you'll still need a new card.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

doctorfrog posted:

Sorry for bumping this thread with a non-homebrew question, but I don't see an active DS general thread.

It got rolled up into the 3DS General Discussion Thread.

Never played Dual Strike so I can't help you there.

• Locked thread