Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Captain Hair posted:

Anyone know where to get a 3Ds capable homebrew cart in the UK?

xpertron place shut down it seems and the dealers I can find all look suspect. His DSlite killed another 8gb card and took a cycloDS with it. So I'm just gonna keep it for updating and he can run his homebrew on the 3Ds.

EDIT: realhotstuff still sells them, anyone know if they still ship to the UK without problems?

EDIT2: If I'm in the UK and I buy a DStwo from a US site, will the region locking apply meaning I can't actually use it?

Not from experience, but all of the flashcarts out there today are made to look like DS titles to the 3DS/DSi which should cancel out any issues since the DS was region free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Viva La Bam posted:

Thinking of getting myself a DSTWO for my 3DS so I can finally get rid of my old Cyclo+ DS Lite. Is the DSTWO still compatible with the most current 3DS firmware revision (4.1.x)? Can't find the answer on the clusterfuck official forums.

Additionally, is there a reliable place to buy these in the UK?

http://gbatemp.net/topic/302773-firmware-update-compilation-thread/

According to that it's fine. Sometimes I wonder if Nintendo is just waiting to break a bunch of flash carts or if they really don't care as long as 3DS encryption isn't broken.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
DSTwo is the only way to go right now, but even that might eventually go away. Nintendo has the 3DS detect a component that is in most flash cards now and the DSTwo guys disabled it in the firmware to fix the issue.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sarchasm posted:

I'm correct in thinking that there is currently no way to beat the 3DS region lockout, right? It really sucks living in Japan with an American 3DS.

Yeah, and it's probably going to be a while until we get anything. Nintendo wised up about security after the R4 became so popular. There are efforts to break the encoding, but it's looking more and more like it will be a modchip. The only public hacking effort I've seen is one guy mimicking the 3DS ram with some crazy wiring and circuit boards just as big as the 3DS. Supposedly he got to save hacking early games, but hasn't released anything.

RAM board setup, left side by neimod, on Flickr

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sir Unimaginative posted:

The 3DS has a decent amount of itself tied to network access and the eShop, but not nearly to the extent that, say, the Vita is. You COULD go without updating, but it could hurt. Also I don't recall if the 3DS does that on-card minimum firmware forced update thing.

I think they bundled an update with Mario 3D Land. They can force an update to use the eShop, I've experienced that before. The biggest issue is that the system now has a unified online system (even if you cannot see it) and they might even have way to mark systems as hacked to the network to prevent further access.

They could easily put out a v1.1 patch for Pokemon(one of the most pirated series according to download statistics) for online play. Although I don't think they would go so far as to require it for local play, it would probably significantly reduce the number of systems capable of being used. It's not like hackers have the master key like with the PSP, only a save exploit from a retail game that has to be modified to work.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TreFitty posted:

Tried it and I can't, however, if everything else works, this is more awesome than I expected. I just hope another version comes out soon with support for 3DS games.

This generation is going to be a softmod or modchip. The 3DS security is yet to be broken, and one homebrew dev hacker managed to get a save exploit to run code (older 3DS titles didn't encrypt their saves but an update fixed that,) and he's not giving it up any time soon.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

crazkylo posted:

Are there any websites that have a good list of 3DS homebrew? There where a few I used to use when I messed with my cyclo but it doesn't look like they've been updated in a long while.

There is no 3DS homebrew. Only DS mode flash carts Nintendo hasn't blocked yet. There was one exploit found but it was patched in the latest update, meaning hackers are back at square 1.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's DSTwo or nothing on the 3DS side. I know that excludes a lot of R4i Gold Bling edition cards, but DSTwo blows them out of the water.

Also, Gateway 3DS managed to actually not be total poo poo. It plays all retail games, and since there is no AP in most of them they don't need patched. They claim to be working on homebrew support. The only downside right now is that it only works on firmware 4.0-4.5 but they're trying to get it working on more firmwares. Best of all, they broke the region encoding on games for the next update.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Gateway 3DS made it so the home screen ignores a region check and accepts all signed roms(minus Animal Crossing due to the way it saves.) Only on firmwares 4.1-4.5. They claim to be working on it for higher firmware, but Nintendo hasn't seemed to be in any rush to put out a new 3DS update.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The_Frag_Man posted:

I can think of one legitimate use and that's to get around the region locking.

By using a ROM of the foreign game. I suppose with the 2.0 update, you could purchase the game and dump your own ROM onto the cart.

That being said, the Gateway people got around the whole one persistent save thing sometime between when they first showed it off (and revealed it didn't work on the current firmware they were gloating it would run on.) The whole thing is done through setting the legacy DS name to cause a buffer overflow. Nintendo patched it out in 5.X firmware, so all the 2DS and Legend of Zelda special editions will not be running it for a long time.

The Gateway team and some other independent hackers like @smealum on twitter have managed to do some pretty interesting stuff by running firmware off an SD card and even creating a custom firmware that allowed for RAM editing the 3DS and revealing the secret Pokemon in X&Y, but in all those cases are using the 4.5 exploit.

E: Apparetly there are a few now, Gateway 3DS, R4i 3DS Gold Deluxe, 3DSLink(A clone of the R4i), and Orange 3DS(another R4i clone)

Dehry fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Nov 30, 2013

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The 3DS pretty much broke everything but the DSTwo and certain R4Gold cartridges several updates ago. The Gateway piracy device needs firmware 4.x to run. If it's a newer model console (Animal Crossing and Black onward) it was never going to work anyways.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yes, the DSTwo will work.

The DSTwo and R4i are just R4 cards updated to get around newer 3DS firmware security. They only run DS games and will not take advantage of the 3DS hardware, no matter what firmware version it is on. DSTwo has an advantage of its own on board processor that several homebrew devs have taken advantage of for their emulators.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Gateway 3DS and its clones. It uses an exploit only present in 4.0-4.5 firmware and can play all 3DS games and eshop titles. The most recent ones aren't available just because they haven't broken the encryption just yet.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The current favorite is DSTwo. Most of the original ones used a common component that Nintendo found how to detect and broke compatibility for a lot of them.

On a related note, there's a flash cart called Sky 3DS that will allow for 10 3DS games to be pirated on latest firmware, but only 10. Afterwards you have to buy another card because they programmed it that way.

The Dev Menu hack seems to have also allowed for DLC to be pirated and people are making undubs of games like SMT IV now.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Cross post from 3DS thread:

http://www.gateway-3ds.com/support-for-firmware-9-0-9-2-coming/

Gateway 3DS will support 9.0-9.2 firmware soon. Do not update beyond those firmwares.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Gateway 3DS is for running roms on 3DS. The point is, they have an exploit at 9.2, which will most likely be used by homebrew developers once they reverse engineer it. The thing also breaks region locking.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, all homebrew is about is piracy, piracy of older games through homebrew emulators, maybe some silly Pong/Tetris clone, and DOOM.

Sure, a hacker might make a fun game for it, but that's not what sells people on all the devices.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Smealum is putting out his homebrew exploit next week. It doesn't allow for pirating 3DS games, but you'll be able to play a minecraft clone and emulators. It requires a game and save exploit.

https://www.twitter.com/smealum/status/533522344543649793

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
NinjHax (the new name of SSPWN) will be coming out this evening.

You need a copy of Cubic Ninja ($40 used at Gamestop, $15 in random Walmart bargain bins, $20-$100 online) and a file that will be released soon. It will allow for playing only user mode homebrew, so no region free or 3DS Roms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Gateway 3DS is a 3ds flash cart. R4i is a DS flashcart.

• Locked thread