Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

There are no flash carts that run 3DS ROMS yet.

I just came to this thread to check on this, as I saw a couple of minutes ago web sites for a Cyclo3DS and an Acekard 3DS who claim to run 3DS games. Not even DS games on the 3DS, no, 3DS games.

Fake? Or was there some overnight breakthrough?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Ah, yes, I just noticed there are EZ Flash and Supercard models, too. And all of their sites are linking to each other. In good spirit of course.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

If GBA support is important to you (and it should be because there are so many great games) the Lite should be your first choice. Otherwise, a DSi is the better option; the eShop (Shantae) and the brighter screen make it superior to a Lite... again, if you don't want to pursue GBA games.

A XL is the superior model, though. All the advantages of the DSi with much bigger screens and longer battery life.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

homeless snail posted:

It also can't run homebrew at all, its a pure piracy device.

Aye. Worst of all, it likely can only deal with same-region games since otherwise the 3DS wouldn't recognize them, so it's completely useless to go around the region locking. Maybe something good will come out of this, but right now we are looking at a card that will be able to carry only one game at a time and only one specific to a 3DS' region.

e: no, actually, worst of all will be all the lovely bootleg games that will start showing up on ebay soon.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Is the DSTwo working with the new 3DS firmware? The only flashcart I ever owned was a DSTT on my Lite, but with my Lite not working properly anymore I think I'll get one for my XL and 3DS. The DSTwo with its GBA emulation sounds pretty cool.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

Another question. Where are some sites for homebrew? I need the one for putting card data on flash carts in particular.

You mean firmware for your specific card? If the manufacturer's still around check their website, otherwise gbatemp is a good place to look.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

You should be able to do it from your old DS.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Portfolio posted:

And am I correct in understanding that the DSTWO will run .gba files natively? As in, I won't have to buy a 3in1 to play GBA games?

Yes, at the expense of battery. The 3DS doesn't have a GBA slot for a 3in1 anyway.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Portfolio posted:

By 'at the expense of battery', do you just mean that it eats a lot of battery life to run GBA stuff?

It's emulating it, so yeah, it does. Not a gigantic amount but it's noticeable.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Leovinus posted:

Is it normal for the DSTWO to get kinda warm? I played Layton on it and it got kinda warm and heated up the plastic behind it.

It has a whole CPU inside it, so yeah. Not too warm though.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Guys, I'm facing an odd situation which I hope someone here will help me figure how to solve. The European release of Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia has the five languages built-in on the game, but whoever implemented the feature decided to lazy it the gently caress up, so when you first start the game, you choose a language and are stuck with it forever without any option to ever change it. I've never seen anything like it.

Now, I just got a copy of this game, but the previous owner chose German, a language I am not familiar with at all, thus I am embarking on a quest to figure out how to format the flash memory that holds all saved data. Supposedly you can manipulate saved data with external tools like an Action Replay (which I don't own), but I'm not aware of the details. Help?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

TenaCrane posted:

Should be L+R+Select while starting the game to change the language.

Yes! Yes, it is! I've read the whole goddamn manual trying to find something like this to no effect. Thank you so much.

Keito posted:

I don't know if you intended to post this in the regular DS thread or not

Oh, I posted here for a reason. I assumed I would have to use a tool of some sort like homeless snail linked to, plus the people reading this thread would have that sort of knowledge. I do have a flashcart (two in fact, an old DSTT, a modern DSTWO), but nothing beats playing the games on their original format for me.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

A friend's going to give me his trusty old EZ Flash 5. I remember this being a really good card back in the day from hearsay. While the 3DS is out of the question, I'm wondering if it's still possible to update it to work on a DSi. The last update I did to my XL was last year to download that free Zelda Four Swords game.

Install Gentoo posted:

EZFlash V has no support for running on the DSi. It'll only successfully boot on an original DS or a Lite.

Oh, well.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 9, 2012

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

3-in-1's are known for having batteries that only last one year on average. You'd have to open the cart and replace it to use it again.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Clanpot Shake posted:

What kind of batteries do they use?

Here's all you'll ever need to know.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Said game is now on the eShop with perfect emulation for like $5 in case some of you were not aware. Nobody has to buy it from ebay for over $100 anymore.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

It plays them with the hardware. Those things have the most rubbish battery, though.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

OK, a weird question, but I got this preowned copy of Pokemon Ranger Shadows of Almia yesterday. As an European version it has multilanguage support, but the developers implemented it in a very dumb way: soon as you make your first save it sticks with that language permanently and the previous owner put it on Spanish, which is just urgh. There is no way to erase the game to its original format from itself, so now I'm wondering what we got homebrew-wise that can restore a commercial cart to its original state. It's a long shot but I can't imagine anything else. Searching for Action Replay/Gameshark codes that would something like that lead to nothing.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

homeless snail posted:

Use something like savegame-manager or backup tool to write a null save file to the cart, and it should reinitialize.

Savegame Manager did the trick, thanks so much. Just had to find my old DSTT and DSLite to get it done.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Eh, this time one can't even use the "it's more convenient to carry all my games in one card" excuse as the DS era, since you can buy the drat games digitally, retail, eShop-exclusive, or virtual console.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

big mean giraffe posted:

Yeah and then lose them all if your system breaks! It's a great system.

Yeah, do tell me about all these people that had this happen to them in the nearly four years the system has been out globally. Oh right, if you try to track down this information you find the opposite: Nintendo always gives back what you lose if your system breaks or is stolen.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Nov 15, 2014

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Wasn't there talk it also allowed to get rid of that pesky region locking?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

But I don't want a pirate cart -- I want to import games and play them. I have been curious about that smealum custom firmware because I heard it would get rid of the region locking, but that doesn't seem to be the case? I was asking about that specifically since that smealum guy seems to contradict himself when he talks on Twitter about what the firmware can and can't do. Instead I got some idiot moaning I shouldn't be complaining (which I wasn't) and should talk to Nintendo(??).

I rather doubt the Gateway allows one to load a bypass program and then swap in a legit card like those old boot CDs from the Dreamcast era. If it does, though, I'm all ears.

How legit is that smealum guy, anyway? People have been hyping him up for months now and he has yet to show anything for it. I'd imagine the naysayers would be all over him, but if they aren't I assume people trust the guy.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

There's no Cubic Ninja "train" happening. You need the game on the system at all times to use any homebrew.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Cubic Ninja supports level creation. The Homebrew Channel is literally a "level" that you load in the game to then load homebrew apps.

It's pretty much useless, IMO: there's barely any homebrew (i.e. a SNES emulator that doesn't run games right), while system resources are not entirely available due to Cubic Ninja still being partly on memory, and said game had a shovelware print run which is to say there's waaaaay more demand than stock for it -- which is especially true in Europe, where 3DS games are printed in much smaller quantities than the rest of the world due to lack of demand for Nintendo games -- so few will be on the exclusive club of not doing anything with it.

Basically, this was hyped like hell for no good reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Hey. I haven't had a DS flash cart since my ol' Lite (a DSTT). I decided to check what works these days on DSi and 3DS and, with the DSTWO not being produced or sold anymore, the R4i Gold is supposed to be the gold standard now? Ordered one from realhotstuff and it arrived today, but I have no idea how to install the files it needs.

The cart points to a https://www.r4ids.cn site that works but whose download links are mostly broken. I seem to have found a mirror for firmware "4.0b2" so I got that along with a "Wood R4 Kernel" that I also seem to need. Put everything into the SD card's root, formatted FAT32 as per instructions, but I just get a black screen. Does anyone have this card and can compare if the file structure is supposed to look like this?

the _DS_MENU.DAT and __rpg folder are from the Wood Kernel zip. The Launcher.dat is from the firmware thingy. Is there anything missing or in the wrong place?

• Locked thread