Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
:siren::siren: 3DS/DSi/DSiXL owners be aware that updating the system firmware may block flashcarts. :siren::siren:

THIS POST HAS INFORMATION ABOUT EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW, READ THROUGH ALL OF IT BEFORE POSTING!!!!!!!!

Welcome to the Nintendo DS Homebrew Megathread. This thread covers the discussion on homebrew software and hardware. There is a separate General Discussion Thread for discussion of regular (commercial) (3)DS software and hardware.

What is Nintendo DS homebrew?
DS Homebrew is running homemade software on your Nintendo DS. Hobbyist-made games, media players, emulators, a full-blown organizer - there's so much variety in what can be done (and has been done) with the DS. You can also run backups of your DS games.

What do I need to get started?
You're going to need a "flashcart" and a microSD card. Flashcarts look like regular DS carts, only with a slot for inserting microSD cards. You'll also be needing a computer and a microSD card reader, and some patience while waiting for your gear to arrive by snail mail.

How do these flashcarts work then?
Flashcarts read data off of a microSD. You use a card reader in your PC to transfer applications and other files to the microSD, then put it back into the flashcart and run the stuff on your DS from an easy-to-use menu. Not that difficult, huh?

Which flashcart do I buy?
There are many carts out on the market, but most of them are horrible and/or bad clones of other horrible carts. Compatibility and stability is important, so you should pick one of the below goon-approved products. They will work on every kind of DS released so far, including the 3DS. You should however be careful about updating your DSi/3DS's firmware before checking this thread in case the new update blocks flashcarts.
  • SuperCard DSTWO (~$40) - has the best compatibility with commercial DS software, gets 0-day updates from the manufacturer if new games don't work, has a built-in CPU that can be used for GBA emulation and video playback, and offers other popular features like real-time saving. Probably the best cart out there.
  • Acekard 2i (~$20) - cheap, and the community-driven AKAIO custom menu comes out with updates fixing new games in a timely manner. Acekard is no longer keeping up with Nintendo's firmware updates, just put down the little extra cash for a DSTWO already. It is objectively the better product anyway.

What kind of memory card do I buy?
Brand doesn't really matter at all, but many prefer Kingston. What size you need obviously depends on how much you're planning to stuff in there. microSDHC goes up to 32GB. Homebrew doesn't take up much space, so a small card should work for just that. If you're going to playback music and backup your games, it'll require a bit more. Game sizes vary, but most people should be able to store their whole collection on an 8GB card. Don't buy microSD cards bundled with flashcarts, it's usually a lot cheaper to order them seperately from somewhere else, like Amazon or Newegg.

Where do I purchase flashcarts?
  • Real Hot Stuff is located in the US, fast shipping and universally praised.
  • Real Hot Stuff Hong Kong is RHS's Hong Kong branch. I think they've got better prices on international shipping than the US-based store, but it's taken on average one to three weeks for my packages to arrive.

I just got a DSTWO in the mail and loaded the firmware files onto the thing, why isn't it working in my 3DS?
Nintendo's working hard to block flashcarts with every new system update they release, and your DSTWO might not have been upgraded to work on the latest version prior to shipping.

First, make sure you've downloaded the latest firmware and EOS. If you've got access to an older DS model or a 3DS that hasn't been updated recently, just follow the upgrade instructions as written on the site and you'll be good to go.

If an updated 3DS is all you've got to work with, it's still possible to upgrade the DSTWO, but you run the risk of bricking the flashcart if not doing it correctly. Carefully follow these instructions, and be sure to wait for AT LEAST 3 minutes before turning the console off again.

How do I emulate GBA games on my DSTWO?
Download the DSTWO GBA plugin and extract it to your microSD card. Copy games into the /NDSGBA/gamepak/ folder, and then run the emulator from the DSTWO main menu.

Can I run GBA games natively on a DS/DS Lite instead of emulating them?
Yes, you can if you buy an extra $20 piece of hardware: EZFlash 3-in-1. DSTWO owners can download the homebrew app GBA ExpLoader and launch .gba files through that. The save is transferred back to your microSD card the next time you launch ExpLoader. Note that if some other application uses your 3-in-1 in the meantime the save will be lost, so be careful. Acekard 2i has native support for the 3in1, so you just launch the .gba executable from the menu like any other DS software, and the game is transferred over to the 3-in-1. The next time you boot the flashcart it'll transfer your save data back to store on the microSD card.

Keito fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
HOMEBREW RELEASE NEWS
Not a lot going on anymore, so this post won't get many updates.

FlashBack DS 1.1 (2011-10-09)

This is a port of the 1992 classic Flashback based on the REminiscence engine, and requires you to supply original DOS/Amiga data files to play. The readme file is in English, so check it for detailed instructions.
http://www.portabledev.com/pages/ds/jeuxdev.-perso/flashback.php

DSx86 0.39 Beta and DS2x86 0.23 Beta

PC emulator that runs lots of DOS software and games, including Windows 3.00a in real mode. DSx86 is now able to take advantage of the extra hardware power in the DSi on flashcarts enabling access to it, and there's another version called DS2x86 that's basically built from scratch for the SuperCard DSTWO. A compatibility list is available.
http://dsx86.patrickaalto.com/

Keito fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 15, 2011

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
The homebrew software list was a mess of broken links and has been taken down for the time being.

Keito fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Oct 9, 2011

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
It's a pity Crackbone just suddenly closed the previous thread, because then it's impossible to quote any posts over there, thus requiring me to manually copy and link everything in the software post. Any suggestions on new apps/games to add to it? I'm putting NDS_TGM there for sure, hopefully Svampn won't be against using his link for the download.

Ratatozsk posted:

One thing that may be helpful to include would be instructions to run the new Mother 3 ROM+translation. I know it was discussed fairly thoroughly in the old thread, but I wouldn't be surprised to still see questions on how exactly to work the 3-in-1 to save correctly for the next couple of weeks. Throwing that in a post (not even necessarily the OP) might take care of these for a couple of pages.
Alright, added in a step-by-step guide from the previous thread which worked when I tried. It seems like some people have problems even then, and a lot of 3-in-1s are defective, so additional info may be needed.

Vehementer posted:

It might be deadish when it comes to news but.. isn't Dev-Scene worth placing in the links?
They do seem dead, but ok.

Keito fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Oct 24, 2008

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Crackbone posted:

Sorry, but I'd asked about 4 times for somebody to take over maintaining the OP, posting new updates, etc. This was the only way I could get anybody to do it. Props on a nice OP though.

I'll reopen the old one for a couple of days if you want to quote the old stuff.

Now that you've said it, I do remember you asking for someone to take over several times. The OP is based on the structure you had in the previous thread, I wouldn't have known where to begin without that. Thanks for reopening, the applications post is now copied over, so feel free to close it again whenever you want to.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
Nah, the DS audio hardware sucks. You can increase volume in Moonshell by pressing Y, but it'll sound horribly distorted.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
I bought a replacement shell from DealExtreme; it's the worst piece of poo poo I've ever worked with. Took me hours to assemble, because the build quality was just too loving horrible. Note that this is coming from someone who does Nintendo repairs for work, specializing in DS Lite (not trying to brag, I just want to stress that the crap I bought there isn't very fun to put together).

In the end I had to swap back to my old case, but I didn't bother disassembling the top again, and it's not scratch resistant at all, so the Lite looks absolutely horrible these days. I've named it the Zombie DS. :zombie:

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

S.C. sweeps posted:

Do you still know which one you bought specifically?

This is the one.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

KamikazeJim posted:

:siren: Hot news: DS TopToy price dropped to $6.83 at Deal Extreme. Free shipping as usual with DX makes this now the cheapest way to get in the scene. :siren:
Link: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15613

Yeah, I grabbed a couple of those along with some cheap cards for my younger brothers yesterday, it's a great bargain.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

cakeslob posted:

you should hook him up with it anyways
if im not mistaken, its somewhat of a shell for the ttds firmware and uses the same kernals
so homebrew runs equally bad on both

DSTT has proprietary DLDI support, but I've never experienced problems with anything but the Alarm Clock app from that Moonshell guy (using YSMENU)

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Rookoo posted:

Just so I don't order the wrong thing, this is the correct homebrew tool thingy? http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.17844 I'd go for the "goon choice" but I'm not sure the extra benefits it brings are worth the extra £30 or so.

That's a bootleg version, this is the real deal.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
Bought two DSTT from DealExtreme recently and gave those (AMONG OTHER THINGS) to my brothers yesterday, there was no problem with either of 'em. I also own one myself, and two of my coworkers also enjoy theirs bought from DX a while ago.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
If G:\CycloDS is the place you put the firmware and stuff, that's not gonna work, because I'd say every current card hides its system files when browsing through their software (it'd be the same as installing ever app on your windows box to C:\WINDOWS, and then force the users to wade through there).

Make a folder like G:\homebrew and put your apps there, should work out better.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Chinaski posted:

MoonShell_DSX_DS-Xtreme.nds
That's for a DS-X, not your CycloDS, so it shouldn't be working.

Chinaski posted:

I did not have a moonshell.nds file with the package I downloaded from the Cyclos site.
I open the site linked above and immediately see "Moonshell v1.71 for CycloDS Evolution (Release 3)". Just go there and download it.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Buchanandorf posted:

the DS makes a pretty poor mp3 player, fyi

Yeah, the max volume is really low and audio quality is horrible. I can't enjoy music like that so I rather skip listening to music when going somewhere than bring my DS along for the ride.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
DSVideo performed pretty good for me, but the site isn't even online anymore. I wouldn't seriously want to watch videos on my DS anyway, have got a widescreen laptop.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
You can pay through PayPal without signing up, but otherwise that's a no.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Dirk Muscleton posted:

What I quoted is a translation of Moonlight's post.

drat, the M3 fags sure screwed him over. I feel bad for the guy. It's also a pity there'll be no more Moonshell updates from him, but very understandable considering the way he was treated - I'd probably do the same thing.

vorbiscomment support wasn't implemented in the previous build of Moonshell 2, I hope his last "souvenir" has got that. Must be a really massive rewrite.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
Yeah, YSMENU loads GBA games pretty much the same way as Exploader. You can write to NOR and stuff from it too, so the only thing I can think of right now being "better" about exploader is that you can have multiple save files per game easily (I don't do this), and a few times compatability. I think it's been fixed though, can't remember having problems with any game in the last couple versions (some wouldn't save before).

Installing YSMENU on an R4 is something I'd do if I still used an R4, but it won't give you any better DS ROM launching compatability, because the R4 loader is still used to start the games. You'll get better menus and 3-in-1 support.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Notebook posted:

I found my old stash of Metroid carts and blew through them in about 2 hours each (I'm surprised the old carts even worked), but I can't find my SNES console for Super Metroid. I remember the PSP emulation was pretty good on most SNES games, but things like Mario RPG made it poo poo its pants. How does the DS stack up? And what's the best SNES emulator?

SNEmulDS is the best, but it hasn't been updated for over a year, and doesn't emulate very well. Lots of games experience slowdowns, graphical glitches or just won't work at all. My gal was playing Super Metroid on her DS last year, and had to give up when she got to a boss that was invicible. I guess you could set some layer options and poo poo, but it's not very practical or fun.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Eru posted:

What is the best method for uploading save files to an official cartridge?

Rudolph's backup tools should be able to do that quite easily.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

nftyw posted:

drat, when you people said that dealextreme is slow you weren't kidding. Been around a week since I placed the order and the parts haven't even shipped yet. Does the special savings rate cargo jet only come once a month or something?

They've been especially slow after the Chinese New Year holidays, the massive shitload of orders piled up must've been a too much (I waited two weeks for my last order to ship).

TesticledRat posted:

I'm still trying to get them to tell me the details on how to return it again. All I got in return was an email saying, and I quote "sorry , please send it back again , thank you ". At least their respectful...
Remember to ship back to them WITH tracking. I bought something fairly expensive (over $100) which arrived broken, and just shipped it back without tracking last summer... Still fighting their customer support over it.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Notebook posted:

Like, say they allowed you to download and play any games you have registered on your Nintendo.com account, that'd be swell.

Don't hold your breath. Nintendo wants all your money.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
It's a possiblity, but on the other hand flash carts are really cheap to begin with. Let's see what happens when the thing is released stateside.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

BOOM! DOCTA WATSON posted:

I do this too. I also buy CDs instead of buying from Amazon MP3. I'm such a goddamn nerd

That's different, because CD quality is a lot better than some lovely MP3s.

With that said, I also prefer having boxed copies of games, but I do buy XBLA software too. Downloadable stuff is good because you get it instantly, and it's usually cheaper, but the current solutions are too DRM-ridden and lovely to replace hard copies IMO.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

But then I rip them to MP3 with iTunes to put on my iPod. :(

Then it ain't too bad, if it's cheaper. I prefer Ogg Vorbis and transcoding between lossy formats makes ears bleed. :(

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It must suck to have such super-human hearing sensitivity.
Ok man, I guess it's not audible on ALL tracks. Of course it depends on the audio in question in addition to how low bitrates we're talking, but MP3 and Ogg Vorbis cut away different parts of the audio range. Hey, I'm less retarded than the "I only listen to FLAC cuz it sounds sooo much better" crew.

If played in Moonshell on a DS, it doesn't matter if poo poo's been transcoded to hell, because it'll all sound as horrible anyway. :rimshot:

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Nux posted:

Is there any way to install YSmenu on my r4 from my mac? Everything I've tried requires you to run exe's and poo poo.

I used Wine to run the required apps when setting up my DSTT, it might work in OS X too: http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX

There are a couple of binary packages linked to there, but I have no experience with it. Worth trying anyway.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
Freezing is often related to card errors/filesystem corruption, I'd try formatting it as the above posters suggested. Used to happen to me a lot in the SLOT-2 days, certain apps managed to poo poo down the filesystem instantly.

Fuzz posted:

you bought a lovely TTDS when basically everyone in this thread has said repeatedly that the way to go is the CycloDS or even the R4, which is now out of print and no longer updated, but still a better piece of equipment than the TTDS.
That's a lot of crap. R4 is in no way better than the DSTT, except maybe the default menus. I only have experience with YSMENU, but which of the cards was abandoned by its creators? Please let us know more about the advantages of the R4.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Is there a way, using a CycloDS and 3-in-1 Plus, to transfer a DS save on the Slot 1 cart to its corresponding retail cart?

Try Rudolph's backup tool.

Edit: Whoops, that's not gonna help. Seems like Rudolph took the tools offline because people patched in support for flash carts whose creators had been threatening him not to research anymore. There are other reasons too, like a flash cart importer being sentenced (in Japan), and Rudolph also says he can't endure more slander, over at his blog.

Keito fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Mar 16, 2009

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Shoulder buttons don't typically fail due to wear and tear, but actually due to dirt buildup. Sometimes just spraying compressed air into the shoulder button works, but if not you may want to try removing and cleaning the button.

This. The usual problem is that the connector registering the button presses gets dirty. What I do is open the DS, take out the little gray "button" inside which the L/R button is pressing against, and then use some mechanical spray on the socket to clean things up.

nftyw posted:

I wouldn't recommend opening up the unit yourself because I trawled eBay looking for a broken DS to open up for SCIENCE and not only were prices a bit more than I was willing to pay, but I kept running into many auctions where people listed things like, "... I tried to replace the case and now it doesn't work..." "I opened it up and the power switch broke..." "I tried replacing the touchscreen and now it doesn't boot up..." so yeah.
All of those sound like power switch problems, hahaha. If you don't align the power switch button properly before closing the case, it breaks.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
The DS had GBA hardware in addition to the new stuff, and as it uses this in DS mode DSi can't possibly have stripped it all away. The chance of GBA being emulated is close to zero. I never heard they confirmed GBA titles would be put up as downloads, but if that's correct, everything necessary to do GBA must be in the hardware. If Nintendo can do it, so can flash cart makers - probably.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

m2pt5 posted:

And apparently you have to load the games into the system's memory to play them, which makes sense, as that was the limitation on "emulating" GBA on DS in the past - the need for instantaneous access.

You mean loading from the internal flash storage and not RAM, right? SD memory is also a flash storage solution, so it's sounding more like DRM than physical restrictions. But as for Wii, when using it's new "launch from SD card" feature, the software is written to NAND before being launched, every time. Really stupid approach.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

AxeManiac posted:

Did you order yours from dealextreme? I doubt two in a row would be bad like that. I ordered a clyco ds and hope that doesn't poo poo out on me, but this is bullshit. I'll take them apart and take pictres and bitch to the company, but doubt anything comes of it. I will just chalk this up to never trusting the cheaper option.

You did buy the one which says "Genuine NDSTT.com product", right? There are many other bootlegs like DSTT-Adv on the site. I dunno, people could get tempted by promised extra features.

I've bought eight DSTT total from DealExtreme (so far); never had any problems with them. No fuses blown, no unoffical crap bootlegs - nothing.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
Your DS is alive again? Here you go: nesDS
I personally prefer the NES emulator developed for GBA.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

nesDS is a port of that emulator, i thought.

It might be, but in my experience the GBA one had better compatibility. Punch-Out for instance doesn't have as garbled graphics.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

So if I install this, will I need to use only the YSmenu poo poo, or do I need to keep DDST updated alongside it?
No, the software launching part is extracted into a separate file by Yasu's tools. You'll have to extract the necessary bits from the updates to get eventual game compatibility fixes (it's easier than it sounds).

As all of this is run straight off the transflash, you can't gently caress up proper. Just put the official software back on if you find out you liked that better.

That said YSMENU is better in just about every aspect so I don't know how anyone could move back.

Fallom posted:

You need to use IE.

Yeah I totally think that's what he was using in Linux Mint.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Ratatozsk posted:

Keito, if you're still out there, it may be worth updating the OP with this. The Acekard 2i seems to be the way to go so far.

I've finally updated the OP with AK2i, sorry for taking so long. Haven't really been keeping up with the thread after the actual homebrew discussion (and for the most part also development) died.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

DontMockMySmock posted:

Well apparently the OP contradicts itself.

It plainly says that you used to be unable to run GBA stuff from slot-1, but now you can. Apparently this is wrong.
Sorry, it was badly worded. I've updated that section now and also added some DSi information on the top.

Not really following DS homebrew development anymore as things have gotten pretty much stale but I do read this thread and will try to update when neccessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

clamiam posted:

How is this a "strange" thing, considering it's a common occurrence? I.e. I and many others have had it happen for some of their games, therefore I don't see how it's strange at all.

It's definitely strange. Sounds like a pretty bad card.

• Locked thread