Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Oasx posted:

I know that many people don’t like YA, but I still give a big recommendation to Railsea.

Why Railsea is great:
1. There's an entire chapter just about the concept of ampersand.
2. It's a YA book about the evils of capitalism.
3. The Thomas the Tank Engine bit is really funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Alhazred posted:

Why Railsea is great:
1. There's an entire chapter just about the concept of ampersand.
2. It's a YA book about the evils of capitalism.
3. The Thomas the Tank Engine bit is really funny.

The ending is just magic, the concept of a fake prosthesis, great monsters, some pretty subtle representation, good sense of humor…

Railsea owns.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Xiahou Dun posted:

The ending is just magic, the concept of a fake prosthesis, great monsters, some pretty subtle representation, good sense of humor…

Railsea owns.
Yep. Time for a reread.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Xiahou Dun posted:

Railsea owns.

I actually don’t like the end, but I usually don’t like the endings of any of his books, so Railsea is no better or worse in that regard.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Oasx posted:

I actually don’t like the end, but I usually don’t like the endings of any of his books, so Railsea is no better or worse in that regard.

I mean specifically that the capitalists are now ape people in top hats.

The rest of the ending could've been a personal attack against my mom and I'd still love it for just that.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Just finished a re-read of Embassytown. It's so good. I love how the whole planet is a Geiger-ish biomech nightmare, but the narrator doesn't seem remotely upset by any of it.

"They're free and they're ours." Great line.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I love the pure narrative balls to never, ever give a good description of the Hosts.

wtf the is a "gift wing"

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I've been trying to draw a Host for the last hour or so and it's not going well.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
In my head they look like the Starship Troopers bugs plus a moth. I have aphantasia though so that ain’t worth much

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i picture them looking like smaller versions of ebrietas, daughter of the cosmos from bloodborne

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
My go-to idea of what they look like is

https://outtherebooks.wordpress.com/2014/02/27/what-do-the-hosts-ariekei-from-embassytown-look-like/

Oasx fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jun 7, 2023

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

thats pretty much what i saw in my head

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Yeah, that looks about right. Only a tiny bit... friendlier?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I picture them like... my mother in law!! :D :D :D

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2024/jan/10/keanu-reeves-and-china-mieville-to-release-collaborative-novel-the-book-of-elsewhere

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Well that's unexpected.
Can't wait!

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
I am so confused and so excited for this

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Figured we were getting something like this.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Ok, I wasn't expecting that when I checked on this thread.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
"China Mieville has announced an upcoming anthology of stories with great vibes that kind of don't end properly, where the real monster is capitalism and also a monster"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Premise reminds me of Alan Moore’s interpretation of Virginia Woolf’s Orlando in The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.