Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I dont think it was mentioned but Dragon (the Dungeons and Dragons magazine) did a Bas-Lag special some years back, it is probably of most interest if you are interested in D&D, but it had some nice art and a talk with Miéville himself.

Am i the only one who thinks that The Scar is his weakest Bad-Lag book? I just felt like the ending made the entire book invalid, it's still a great read but i enjoy the two other much more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Oasx posted:

I dont think it was mentioned but Dragon (the Dungeons and Dragons magazine) did a Bas-Lag special some years back, it is probably of most interest if you are interested in D&D, but it had some nice art and a talk with Miéville himself.

Am i the only one who thinks that The Scar is his weakest Bad-Lag book? I just felt like the ending made the entire book invalid, it's still a great read but i enjoy the two other much more.

I think the ending is what makes an already-amazing adventure/horror/pirate story into a mindblowing one.

Varicose Brains
Apr 10, 2008

Hedrigall posted:

Well The City & The City comes out this week, in the UK at least. US should get it soon and Australian bookstores will only have the UK imported version until July - so it'll be expensive. I'm going to buy it online myself, it'll be much cheaper.

Also, at the end of this month audiobooks of Perdido Street Station and the new book are coming out. Pretty sure they'll be download-only ones.

Finally, I read an interview with Mieville's editor recently, where he/she said that Mieville handed in two manuscripts at once, and The City & The City is the first of those to be published. Apparently the other one is a fantasy story they'd been expecting from him. A new Bas-Lag book maybe?

Got a link to that interview (if it was on the web that is)? I think the other book may have been "Kraken"; http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kraken-China-Mieville/dp/0333989511/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242830601&sr=8-8. It's the only book of his that isn't out currently.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Slothapotamus posted:

Got a link to that interview (if it was on the web that is)? I think the other book may have been "Kraken"; http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kraken-China-Mieville/dp/0333989511/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242830601&sr=8-8. It's the only book of his that isn't out currently.

some guy on a mailing list in 2007, re: Kraken posted:

Someone asked China about this at the signing in Washington D.C. in
February. Here's the way I remember it:

He spoke quite humorously about how Amazon sometimes gets wind of rumors
and puts things on their site that have no concrete basis in reality. It
appears this is one of those things. He left room for conjecture that
it's possible someone overheard him say something that could possibly
fuel this rumor, but he would not elaborate on how that might have
happened, obviously, because it would just fuel more rumors.

withak fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 20, 2009

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
But Mieville himself says

China Mieville posted:

This is what happens in a world of rumor. I never talk about work in progress, and then the next thing you know some hint gets released, some misunderstanding generalizes, some whisper fractals, and then Amazon is trying to sell a non-existent book. My position is as follows: Kraken may or may not exist. If it does, it may or may not be called Kraken. Whether it exists and whatever it's called, it may or may not be out next year or the one after or another time. Sorry to be a pain!

That's from this interview.

Here is the one (blog post, not an interview) by his editor/agent/whoever, which mentions two manuscripts. Bolded the best parts:

person posted:

I shouldn’t admit this, but I am always a little surprised when an author meets a due date. Being a good writer requires a lot of thinking and planning, and those acts are often indistinguishable from their unruly stepcousin procrastination. So it should be no surprise that writers are late with their work sometimes.

When China Miéville delivered the manuscript to his newest novel, entitled The City & The City, I was much more than a little surprised. In fact, I was flabbergasted. First of all, I had no idea that he had been writing it. And secondly, he had just delivered a different manuscript—the one I had been expecting—the day before.

His reasons for doing so were simple, and they had nothing to do with proving that he was superhuman. China’s mother, who was terminally ill at the time, had always loved police procedurals—so China set out to write one as a kind of gift to her. But knowing that his reputation is as a fantasy writer, he wasn’t sure what his publishers or his audience would make of his attempt. He studied up by reading as much as he could in the mystery and thriller genre, and then he wrote the book during breaks from writing the fantasy that I was expecting from him. It’s an amazing feat by anyone’s standards.

And what's equally amazing is the job he did. As soon as I started reading it, I knew The City & The City would be the next book we published by China. I think readers familiar with his work will be as surprised and pleased by this book as I was when I first discovered it existed and started reading it. And for those who haven't read China, for people who wouldn't normally gravitate toward a book with monsters in it, now they can experience the wonders of China, monster-free, and finally see why he is so beloved by so many.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 20, 2009

FuriousThird
Jul 24, 2006
second third same as the first
You know I didn't want to like this guy after reading Perdido Street Station. It had a completely unsatisfying ending and Mieville goes waaaay out of his way to use the most obscure and cryptic phrasings possible. It was fun at first because it reminded me of stopping every ten minutes to check a dictionary while trying to read Tolkien as a child, but that was an issue of time and localization.

The thing is his articles and essays keep popping up and I always agree with what he has to say. He's almost like the opposite of Orson Scott Card in this manner. Here's hoping he migrates over to nonfiction.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

FuriousThird posted:

You know I didn't want to like this guy after reading Perdido Street Station. It had a completely unsatisfying ending and Mieville goes waaaay out of his way to use the most obscure and cryptic phrasings possible. It was fun at first because it reminded me of stopping every ten minutes to check a dictionary while trying to read Tolkien as a child, but that was an issue of time and localization.

The thing is his articles and essays keep popping up and I always agree with what he has to say. He's almost like the opposite of Orson Scott Card in this manner. Here's hoping he migrates over to nonfiction.

If you didn't like the ending of PSS you probably wouldn't like the endings of The Scar or Iron Council either, but I personally loved them. Steer away from Haruki Murakami too.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
Just a reminder that his new book, The City & The City is out today. I just went and picked up my copy :D

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Mine's coming in the mail soon. I probably won't get to read it until after my exams though.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Except that I would say that China has about 1000x times the imagination and excitement of Murikami. gently caress that guy.

Two Headed Boy
Jun 28, 2006
Official product of the millenium experience
I finished The City and the City the other day, and although it was a departure from his Bas Lag books, I did think it was very good. I'm not normally a fan of first person narratives, but I can't imagine the book working any other way. I'd reccomend it heartily.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

SaviourX posted:

Except that I would say that China has about 1000x times the imagination and excitement of Murikami. gently caress that guy.

That comparison is like getting pissed off at Hemmingway for not writing about Space Marines.

I'm 4th in line for City at the library.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

Oasx posted:

Yes and no. The story was sort of a wash, but he introduced a few neat characters and talked about places (the city full of dead) that weren't mentioned in the world so far, so I found the book to be overall worthwhile. I mostly care about his world and history though (so that Dragon magazine special sounds interesting, and I should track it down).

The City & the City sounds awesome and I'm really glad it's not fantasy, to be honest (I think the mention of 'magick' makes me wince these days). That's probably why The Scar's my favorite novel from him (although bits of Looking for Jake are better).

Noricae fucked around with this message at 09:10 on May 29, 2009

SpunkyRedKnight
Oct 12, 2000

Noricae posted:

The City & the City sounds awesome and I'm really glad it's not fantasy, to be honest (I think the mention of 'magick' makes me wince these days). That's probably why The Scar's my favorite novel from him (although bits of Looking for Jake are better).

I would still put The City & The City in the fantasy category, though still different from his previous books. Even though it's set in the "real" world it requires quite a bit of suspension of belief to make the whole conceit of the novel work. I thought it started out with promise but ultimately there's no payoff. The procedural side of the story works fine, but I think it would have worked better if it was set on some other world where the dynamic between the two cities could have been carried further. As it is it feels more like a not-so-subtle psychological allegory.

Ballsworthy
Apr 30, 2008

yup
Just picked it up, going to start it tonight. It's kinda weird, I feel like I should be excited, but I'm not really. I imagine that'll all change inside of a chapter or two, though.

queenoffarts.edu
Nov 11, 2005

I'm finding that the more books that China Mieville adds to his resume the more well-rounded he becomes as a writer.

After having finished The City & The City I think it's his most complete novel to date and it just sort of shows his natural progression.

I don't mean to say that he's an absolutely amazing author but if you look at Perdido Street Station, it had some holes and the ending was pretty weak, the Scar was great but I found the ending once again wasn't too hot, Iron Council (and I'm probably in the minority) I thought was his best but once again it sort of was flat at times. Where as with his newest I really can't find too many flaws with it, it's definitely not my favourite of his but everything is wrapped up neatly in the end, the characters aren't too cliched (which seems to be a tendency for a lot of authors when writing murder/mystery thrillers), and the story is interesting.

I liked it.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

queenoffarts.edu posted:

Iron Council (and I'm probably in the minority) I thought was his best

I agree with you, Iron Council is his best (haven't read City & the City yet but I got it in the mail today!)

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
I liked Scar the best. I enjoyed a lot of aspects of PSS and Iron Council, but IC in particular didn't gel with me.

His worldbuilding is definitely the best part of his books, especially the different races.

Also, maybe I'm dense but I never understood how the train in IC was supposed to move. My impression was everyone had to keep on laying track in front of the train, presumably picking it up from behind. How could the thing ever move faster than people (even FANTASY people) can pick up the track from behind and move it to the front? I very well could have completely missed an obvious piece of the book, but that wouldn't stop bugging me. Also it seems like the evil forces just needed to put a bunch of pennies on the existing rails to completely gently caress up everything.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

Noricae posted:

Yes and no. The story was sort of a wash, but he introduced a few neat characters and talked about places (the city full of dead) that weren't mentioned in the world so far, so I found the book to be overall worthwhile. I mostly care about his world and history though (so that Dragon magazine special sounds interesting, and I should track it down).

There honestly isn't a lot in that Dragon special that is new or revelatory. I was pretty disappointed when I finally got my hands on a copy and flipped through it. Most of it is just statting Bas-Lag stuff over to D&D.

queenoffarts.edu
Nov 11, 2005

Pascallion posted:

I liked Scar the best. I enjoyed a lot of aspects of PSS and Iron Council, but IC in particular didn't gel with me.

His worldbuilding is definitely the best part of his books, especially the different races.

Also, maybe I'm dense but I never understood how the train in IC was supposed to move. My impression was everyone had to keep on laying track in front of the train, presumably picking it up from behind. How could the thing ever move faster than people (even FANTASY people) can pick up the track from behind and move it to the front? I very well could have completely missed an obvious piece of the book, but that wouldn't stop bugging me. Also it seems like the evil forces just needed to put a bunch of pennies on the existing rails to completely gently caress up everything.

I agree with you, there was definitely some stupid poo poo in Iron Council. To be fair though, it's a science fiction/fantasy book and you sort of have to toss aside the semantics for the duration and suspend your belief.

It's been awhile since I read it but I just assumed that they could regulate the speed of the train which allowed them to bring up the track from the back so that it didn't outrun them. As far as their return goes, when they reconnect to the existing line, I don't know what stopped New Crobuzon from just putting a big girder across the rail gauge. But hell, if they did, it would have been a pretty lame ending.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Pascallion posted:

Also, maybe I'm dense but I never understood how the train in IC was supposed to move. My impression was everyone had to keep on laying track in front of the train, presumably picking it up from behind. How could the thing ever move faster than people (even FANTASY people) can pick up the track from behind and move it to the front?

I don't recall him ever saying anything about the train moving faster than the rail could be laid, I don't see how this is a problem.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think the whole point was that it could only move as fast as they could pick up and re-lay the track.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind
The City and The City has a very strange beginning. To me it's as if Mieville wanted to distance himself not only from writing fantasy, but his writing style in general. What we get here reminds me very much of Kafka's The Castle.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't recall him ever saying anything about the train moving faster than the rail could be laid, I don't see how this is a problem.

Well yeah, it just takes them a gently caress of a long time to get anywhere, thus deliberately going through smokestone and the Torque; they also have a bunch of remade working day and night. I see it as about a mile of track, and they crawl about a mile an hour.

Also, I don't think the militia sabotaged their return because A) they were too busy with the war, B) they thought the elementalists would stop them, and C) the industrialist had other ideas.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

SaviourX posted:

Well yeah, it just takes them a gently caress of a long time to get anywhere, thus deliberately going through smokestone and the Torque; they also have a bunch of remade working day and night. I see it as about a mile of track, and they crawl about a mile an hour.

Also, I don't think the militia sabotaged their return because A) they were too busy with the war, B) they thought the elementalists would stop them, and C) the industrialist had other ideas.

Weather Wrightby is one of my favourite antagonists of the Bas-Lag books. He's only in like 3 scenes of Iron Council (plus he has the awesome prologue) but he's just so bad-rear end. I hear his voice as Daniel Day Lewis's character in There Will Be Blood.

CrimsonGhost
Aug 9, 2003
Who watches The Watcher?

Argali posted:

The City and The City has a very strange beginning. To me it's as if Mieville wanted to distance himself not only from writing fantasy, but his writing style in general. What we get here reminds me very much of Kafka's The Castle.

I am halfway through The City and The City But I get a distinct Budayeen feel from the book. It is probably just a coincidence due to the locale but it really resonates a combination of that and The Castle.

Ballsworthy
Apr 30, 2008

yup
Heads-up for Oregoons, China's going to be at Powell's this coming Sunday at 7:30.

Haven't been getting much reading done the last few days so I'm not too far in, but so far I'm really enjoying The City and The City. I kinda wish he hadn't gone with the initialism ECS, though, I keep expecting Ian Cormac to pop in and kill some dudes. Also I spent about 50 pages reading Ul Qoma as UI Qoma, wondering what the hell UI stood for until I realized I was a fool.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Ballsworthy posted:

Heads-up for Oregoons, China's going to be at Powell's this coming Sunday at 7:30.

He did a reading and signing in Harvard Square today for Harvard Books, it was very cool. Only about 100 people, only a few inane questions "So like, how are you so awesome?" and he talked about his band names when he was younger. One was "Look at that Peanut Go"

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

Well jesus christ, it would have been nice for this to actually be announced somewhere; I could have actually driven down to Seattle today to see him.

timothyreal
Aug 13, 2007
And, above all, as the chance juxtaposition of a sewing machine and an umbrella on a dissecting table!
Is there a place with all his tour dates posted?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Yeah, I'd really like to know about this. Is Miéville gonna pass anywhere near LA?

edit: here we go!

http://www.suvudu.com/2009/05/china-miville-on-tour.html

I don't wanna go to San Diego!

Oh gently caress everything it's the day before my French final?

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jun 8, 2009

Grimfate
Oct 19, 2003

Holy crap, i have to go to this. Never been to a book signing before, but i love Mieville, and this is literally five minutes from my house.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

The Powell's event was very fun and had surprisingly few horrible nerd questions that I associate with fantasy author Q/A sessions. China said my Quixote tattoo was "wicked badass" :smug:

Anyone catch the name of the book/author of the book he recommended that is "half horror novel half philosophy text"? He said it was an Iranian author and it started with an N but he said it way too fast.

ShutteredIn fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jun 8, 2009

Ballsworthy
Apr 30, 2008

yup

ShutteredIn posted:

The Powell's event was very fun and had surprisingly few horrible nerd questions that I associate with fantasy author Q/A sessions. China said my Quixote tattoo was "wicked badass" :smug:

Anyone catch the name of the book/author of the book he recommended that is "half horror novel half philosophy text"? He said it was an Iranian author and it started with an N but he said it way too fast.

Cyclonopedia, by Reza Negarestani
http://www.amazon.com/Cyclonopedia-Complicity-Materials-Reza-Negarestani/dp/0980544009

The best thing is that when he did get a horrible nerd question he managed to turn it into something interesting to talk about. Very funny and intelligent man.

VVV No problem, thanks for reminding me about it. Also, I had forgotten how goddamn horrible those chairs are.

Ballsworthy fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 8, 2009

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

Ballsworthy posted:

Cyclonopedia, by Reza Negarestani
http://www.amazon.com/Cyclonopedia-Complicity-Materials-Reza-Negarestani/dp/0980544009

The best thing is that when he did get a horrible nerd question he managed to turn it into something interesting to talk about. Very funny and intelligent man.

Wow thanks that was fast. This sounds pretty awesome.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Finished TC&TC. It was good. Characters were always his weakest link but it seems that in this book first-person perspective coupled with his writing have managed to overcome this flaw of his. The last act didn't quite live up to the buildup of the first two, but I didn't mind.

Ballsworthy
Apr 30, 2008

yup

Megazver posted:

Finished TC&TC. It was good. Characters were always his weakest link but it seems that in this book first-person perspective coupled with his writing have managed to overcome this flaw of his. The last act didn't quite live up to the buildup of the first two, but I didn't mind.

I think the big problem with the ending was just his inexperience with the detective novel. If you separate out the book into a detective aspect and a surreal aspect, the surreal aspect, unsurprisingly, flourishes towards the end "Schrodinger's pedestrian" was awesome, while the detective aspect suffers. Seriously, a five-page, Mike Hammer-esque conversation with the villain?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Ballsworthy posted:

I think the big problem with the ending was just his inexperience with the detective novel. If you separate out the book into a detective aspect and a surreal aspect, the surreal aspect, unsurprisingly, flourishes towards the end "Schrodinger's pedestrian" was awesome, while the detective aspect suffers. Seriously, a five-page, Mike Hammer-esque conversation with the villain?

Honestly, I thought that the Orciny stuff would've actually made a more interesting book if it didn't turn out to be fake. Also, I was kind of disappointed in what the Breach turned out to be. As in, some assholes with advanced weaponry thugging people around to make them pretend that half of their city doesn't exist for what basically is their own amusement. Yeah, it's a hyperbole, but if the split was a bit more, uh, supernatural in its origin it wouldn't look so ridiculous. As it stands, I just can't imagine anyone actually bothering to stay in the city.

Ballsworthy
Apr 30, 2008

yup

Megazver posted:

Honestly, I thought that the Orciny stuff would've actually made a more interesting book if it didn't turn out to be fake. Also, I was kind of disappointed in what the Breach turned out to be. As in, some assholes with advanced weaponry thugging people around to make them pretend that half of their city doesn't exist for what basically is their own amusement. Yeah, it's a hyperbole, but if the split was a bit more, uh, supernatural in its origin it wouldn't look so ridiculous. As it stands, I just can't imagine anyone actually bothering to stay in the city.

See, I liked that he explained it all away and the fact that the split was an entirely human invention. Normally I don't like it when authors do that, keep that poo poo inscrutable, I like to say, but for some reason I thought it worked here. I was actually delighted when it turned out Orciny was bullshit. Maybe it's just the fact that, in a book set in the present day, people doing stupid poo poo is more believable to me than, say, an ineffable force that splits a city into two. I can definitely see how you could feel that way, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimfate
Oct 19, 2003

ShutteredIn posted:

I went to the signing on Tuesday, and it was a cool experience. We did had a few slimy nerds ask some retarded non-questions though. China mentioned that he has no plans to write another bas-lag story unless he is certain he can top iron council, which he considers his best work so far, and that he was worried of running the series into the ground, and would prefer it to be unfinished than overdone.