Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Xiahou Dun posted:

It's sci-fi in the sense that imagining a parallel Earth with different geography and history is always going to be. Even if you're realistic outside of that.

I’m not trying to raise an argument but I had a completely different reading that they are not parallel earths, but merely two cities inhabiting the same place, and centuries of socially conditioning people to respect one vs the other is what creates the divide. But if Joe Schmoe from America goes to the place and walks around that border checkpoint he’s not entering alternate dimensions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Sandwolf posted:

I’m not trying to raise an argument but I had a completely different reading that they are not parallel earths, but merely two cities inhabiting the same place, and centuries of socially conditioning people to respect one vs the other is what creates the divide. But if Joe Schmoe from America goes to the place and walks around that border checkpoint he’s not entering alternate dimensions.

he means that the earth the book takes place on is parallel to our earth

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Sandwolf posted:

...?

The parallel Earth is because Besźel and Ul Qoma aren't real. There are Americans in the novel.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

My bad, I thought you were saying Beszel or Al Qoma are overlapping from another parallel earth. Whoops!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I always thought City and the City was the least interesting of his books because that's just what Glasgow/Belfast are like irl

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I always thought City and the City was the least interesting of his books because that's just what Glasgow/Belfast are like irl

the setting is reasonably novel, but its just a really good noir thriller imo

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Sandwolf posted:

The City & The City has some unnatural aspects but I’m not sure I’d describe it as Sci-fi or fantasy. It’s more like Balkan speculative fiction.

It's been a while since I read this one but I think the twist is that there are no supernatural aspects, it's just people lying to themselves.

Sandwolf posted:

I recall tourists had to do a period of conditioning themselves before they were allowed in.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

A plot point is the dead girl’s dad doing a Breach and everything.

It’s explicitly a weird fake country on Earth with a couple pieces of random alternate history to make room for the setting.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
its a genre called “speculative fiction” about something that doesn’t exist, but might as well

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

Xiahou Dun posted:

It's sci-fi in the sense that imagining a parallel Earth with different geography and history is always going to be. Even if you're realistic outside of that.

I disagree, there’s a clear distinction between alternate history that stays strictly within “normal” bounds of physical plausibility, and AH stories that introduce aliens, time travel, dimension-hopping, etc. Harry Turtledoge writes both kinds.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Harry Turtledoge :shibe:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Poldarn posted:

It's been a while since I read this one but I think the twist is that there are no supernatural aspects, it's just people lying to themselves.

I recall tourists had to do a period of conditioning themselves before they were allowed in.
Yes I explicitly just said it was Glasgow

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

FPyat posted:

I disagree, there’s a clear distinction between alternate history that stays strictly within “normal” bounds of physical plausibility, and AH stories that introduce aliens, time travel, dimension-hopping, etc. Harry Turtledoge writes both kinds.

And there are distinctions between poodles and great danes. That doesn’t mean they’re not dogs.

That’s like, not how the concepts of “different” and “same” work.

Is the thread okay? Y’all are having some bonkers takes today.

Edit : or wait, were you fumbling at the distinction between historical fiction and alt history? That’d make more sense with what you said, but makes absolutely none in light of what the conversation is about.

Xiahou Dun fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jun 3, 2023

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Science fiction is not merely defined by difference from reality. People mostly do not say that fantasy simply is a form of science fiction, though I’m sure there are many theorists who do.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

FPyat posted:

Science fiction is not merely defined by difference from reality. People mostly do not say that fantasy simply is a form of science fiction, though I’m sure there are many theorists who do.

Are you even engaging with the conversation anymore?

No one has said that. Who are you talking to.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
You stated that ‘That’s like, not how the concepts of “different” and “same” work.’ Which suggested to me that that might be the definition of science fiction you might be operating with.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

FPyat posted:

You stated that ‘That’s like, not how the concepts of “different” and “same” work.’ Which suggested to me that that might be the definition of science fiction you might be operating with.

What I actually said however is that having an alternative present Earth is always, definitionally a science fiction premise.

You quoted it the first time.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

FPyat posted:

this is a non sequitur but i do argue that sometimes

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

Xiahou Dun posted:

What I actually said however is that having an alternative present Earth is always, definitionally a science fiction premise.

That’s the primary reason why it seemed likely you would hold such a definition.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

FPyat posted:

That’s the primary reason why it seemed likely you would hold such a definition.

Perhaps this has been educational then.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Low fantasy is when uther doul is an adventurer. High fantasy is when uther doul is part of a knightly order. Science fiction is when uther doul is a cop. Cyberpunk is when uther doul is a corrupt cop. Literary “elevated genre” is when you are married to uther doul. Erotica is when you want uther doul to gently caress you in several possible ways. Literature is when uther doul is a metaphor for men in your life.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Mystery is when uther doul is found dead. Horror is when uther doul is found alive. Nonfiction is when uther doul is nowhere to be found.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

Xiahou Dun posted:

Perhaps this has been educational then.

It hasn't been educational because I still don't know what your definition of science fiction is. Note that this kind of debate is hardly new to the alternate history community.

Shevek23 posted:

That would certainly tend to suggest he would be similarly disabled in the ATL. 1912 is long enough after POD(s) to butterfly anything in particular, but the spirit of the TL is to tend to conserve persons and put them in different socio-political slots instead of traditional Church of the Almighty Butterfly with Misaligned Sperm that is something of a cult at AH.com--like, if you don't subscribe to this idea one is in danger of a mod ruling the TL ASB.

That is to say, if your alternate history began to diverge from reality before October 27, 1858, you could not include Theodore Roosevelt in your story and claim to be writing with the intent of being plausible - even if his parents had conceived at the same time, a different sperm cell would have impregnated, so the Theodore we know with the genome we know would not be born.

FPyat fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jun 3, 2023

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I mean the timeline would have diverged by at least Bronze Age because of the whole archaeology plot.

And my personal definition is immaterial* because, and I really keep coming back to this, of how that statement was made inside of a larger discourse. If you read all of them in sequence it makes more sense.

*if you must know, I don’t particularly care since the point of genre labels is descriptive communication. Rigid definitions of nuances are only useful if they’re widely agreed upon, and having a bespoke, personalized definition is completely antithetical to that. Much better to never assume something has to be either one genre or another, and then clarify specific definitions for a given conversation as needed. (“For this discussion, we can say “romance” in the older, non-amorous meaning” or whatever.)

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

Xiahou Dun posted:

Rigid definitions of nuances are only useful if they’re widely agreed upon, and having a bespoke, personalized definition is completely antithetical to that.

I'd call that the opposite of the truth. People need to stake out what exactly their terms are when there is no wide consensus about it (after all, people can't even settle whether Star Wars is SF); rather, it is when there is wide agreement that there is no need to get into the convoluted specifics. If you want your own view of its meaning to be immaterial, then you don't have much cause to declare it bonkers to adopt one of the other definitions in the contested social discourse that decides what science fiction is.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

FPyat posted:

I'd call that the opposite of the truth. People need to stake out what exactly their terms are when there is no wide consensus about it (after all, people can't even settle whether Star Wars is SF); rather, it is when there is wide agreement that there is no need to get into the convoluted specifics. If you want your own view of its meaning to be immaterial, then you don't have much cause to declare it bonkers to adopt one of the other definitions in the contested social discourse that decides what science fiction is.

Everything you post is making me want to find a lost genie and get three wishes and use every one of them to go back in time and bully you more in high school

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

FPyat posted:

its fiction with science in it

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

scary ghost dog posted:

its fiction with science in it

It’s funny because intellectually I agree with the broad view of science fiction, but my gut really just wants it to be spaceships and robots, plain and simple.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

That's because the human mind doesn't define concept with rules. It creates prototypes, which are just statistical lumps of all the examples of category members you've encountered.

So you know that all birds are birds, but a sparrow is more birdlike than a penguin. All dogs are dogs, but a border collie is more of a dog than a chihuahua. Star Trek is more science fiction than Under the Skin even though both are science fiction. Because they're closer to the prototype.

The rawest prototype-expression of science fiction is probably, like, advertising with a science fiction theme. Just pure signifiers of science fictionality with no content. Or the weird pre-trailers you see at movie theaters where some branded characters jump between different movie genres.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Stargate and Magic Portals To Elfland are the same genre, whatever you call it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Harold Fjord posted:

Stargate and Magic Portals To Elfland are the same genre, whatever you call it.

Special hole stories.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Categories and genres are broadly useful for communication and setting expectations for new things in your mind quickly. There is no reason to be a stickler about anyone's definition after they take the time to explain it, but on the other hand if you have a non-typical personal definition you should be prepared to not be understood in some contexts.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
It reminds me of the New Weird anthology by Jeff and Ann VanderMeer, during the end is a transcript of a conversation between authors about New Weird genre, whether it’s actually a thing or just a meaningless label that book sellers started using after Mieville’s books got popular.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Personally, I tend classify alternate Earth in a modern timeline stories like TC&TC as Fantasy, but I can see it both ways and ultimately it probably doesn’t matter.

Also, I checked the ISBN classification in my copy of TC&TC for fun and it’s literally just 1. Murder - Investigation - Fiction, which to me seems to kinda bury the lede a bit lol

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
What I want ideally is for alternate history to be seen as an equal member of a triad with SF and Fantasy, but its lesser popularity means it’s never going to happen.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

FPyat posted:

What I want ideally is for alternate history to be seen as an equal member of a triad with SF and Fantasy, but its lesser popularity means it’s never going to happen.

Who is trying to rank genres? That's dumb as poo poo and you should ignore people who do that.

(That question is rhetorical. You should not answer it.)

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
So is Looking For Jake better or worse than Three Moments taken as a whole?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

FPyat posted:

So is Looking For Jake better or worse than Three Moments taken as a whole?

Three Moments throws a ton of really cool ideas out there but stories more often than not feel like unfinished sketches. Overall it has a colder, more opaque and more literary weirdness.

Looking For Jake has far fewer stories but mostly they're all super solid. It's full of much more straightforward sf/f and horror.

Both are good. Both have truly weird poo poo in them. I'd probably prefer to read LFJ cover to cover right now than TMOAE

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth

Open Source Idiom posted:

Special hole stories.

Chuck Tingle has this genre on lock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013