Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Hey I'm about to read The Census Taker as my first foray in Mieville, are there any things I should take into account? It's not in the Bas Lag world, is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Hedrigall posted:

Oh jeez. It's probably the last book you should read as your first Miéville. It's incredibly obtuse. I'd recommend The Scar (best Bas-Lag novel), or The City & The City, or Three Moments Of An Explosion (short story collection).

As for whether This Census Taker is set in Bas-Lag... well, that's complicated. For all intents and purposes, no. It's not really set anywhere. But if you're a diehard fan who knows their Bas-Lag, then there's little hints and clues which point to something else...

Ah gently caress, I thought, $6 novella, why not start there. But if I'll appreciate it more down the line, I'll save it.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Just finished Three Moments of an Explosion, and while I enjoyed the overall atmosphere of the stories, I was surprisingly frustrated at how incomplete many of the works felt. Could and would have read full versions of a fair few stories.

So I whanna know where to go next? I loved the atmosphere and style of his writing, but I want something with more answers than Three Moments.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Just finished Last Days of New Paris, I enjoyed it a lot, though it felt very pulpy and almost goofy in some parts. So I whanna know, is there anything of his that's a bit less nuanced and a bit more.. I dunno. Some scenes felt like they were handled with a rapier when I wanted to see a sledgehammer, if that makes sense.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I just finished TC&TC earlier today, I loved it. China does a unique creative setting like no one else.

Here’s the issue. I’ve read Embassytown, TC&TC (both unbelievably good & fun books) and Last Days of New Paris and Three Moments of an Explosion (also good books but with way way more bullshit to slog through) - where do I go next? I’ve heard Looking for Jake is much better short fiction than Three Moments. I am interested in Bas-Lag but PSS is too long for me to jump into immediately, but I’m thinking that will have to be next?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

What’s the benefit of reading PSS before The Scar? And maybe vice versa?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

FPyat posted:

SFF guys giving non-SFF novels a go is often an interesting thing.

The City & The City has some unnatural aspects but I’m not sure I’d describe it as Sci-fi or fantasy. It’s more like Balkan speculative fiction.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Xiahou Dun posted:

It's sci-fi in the sense that imagining a parallel Earth with different geography and history is always going to be. Even if you're realistic outside of that.

I’m not trying to raise an argument but I had a completely different reading that they are not parallel earths, but merely two cities inhabiting the same place, and centuries of socially conditioning people to respect one vs the other is what creates the divide. But if Joe Schmoe from America goes to the place and walks around that border checkpoint he’s not entering alternate dimensions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

My bad, I thought you were saying Beszel or Al Qoma are overlapping from another parallel earth. Whoops!