Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

But you forgot some of the other awesome races:

The grindylow, a really weird, almost godlike-powerful race from the north. Can't say too much about them without ruining The Scar.

Also, how about the Anophelii, the mosquito people. I thought that they were a really awesome invention since it just comes straight out of left-field. The coolest part about them is how the male half of the race is incredibly brilliant, but the female part of the race is all animal and violent, barely sentient.

The Scar was really a great book and much better than Perdido. Perdido was interesting, but not as captivating. I guess that I felt that in the case of Perdido, the book tended too overtly towards a thought experiment and so it felt more like you were reading one of Mieville's papers on speculative fiction wherein he loosely tied the presentation of his ideas together with narrative. Not that it wasn't still cool, but it didn't make for as engaging of a read as The Scar.

I am pretty enthused about reading Iron Council, but my reading list has grown so long I probably won't get to it for another year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Ballsworthy posted:

I looooved the Anophelii. They were so tragic. The she just wanted to talk scene was heartwrenching.

"How many did you kill?" "One." "That is not so bad." Jesus christ...

Yeah, the whole trip to the island was pretty incredible. Actually my favorite scene was the description in the book that the guys on Armada acquire describing how the one Anophelii scientist goes out into the ocean, finds a sinkhole, and then channels a huge, magically powered electrical storm to summon a shadow of the avanc. The writing in that scene was just so dramatic that it should probably make the epic quote thread going on right now.

Gah, I just can't get over how two-sided the race is, yet how they still operate and live together. They are definitely in some sort of society with eachother, but they are also two very different sides to the proverbial coin.