Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

I really like Miéville's stuff. I read Perdido since it was recommended in the Hall of Fame thread, and I really enjoyed it. A lot of people complain about the ending, but I think it's quite a good mind gently caress for the reader because when you sit down and think about it, everything happened because of the rape and that makes it even more depressing. I usually don't like such endings, but I thought it was fitting. The Scar was also a great book, but I missed the setting of New Crobuzon. Tanner Sack was a really great character and it was nice to have some Remade perspective in the novel. Iron Council was my least favorite of the three. I didn't find the main characters or main plot as engaging or interesting as the first two books, and I got kind of sick of reading about Cutter masturbating all the drat time. I'm definitely looking forward to more of the Bas-Lag series. I've seen his other books at the library, but just haven't grabbed them. I think I'll pick up King Rat next time I'm there though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

I'm about 200 pages into the Kraken and finding some of the characters' dialogue hard to read, like someone else previously mentioned. It's not a bad book, and there's interesting things, but not much has really happened and I'm about 1/3 of the way through it. I have two more Mieville books on my list (Un Lun Dun and Rat King) and I'm still waiting for another Bas Lag book. I will probably get poo poo on for this, but I didn't like TC&TC all that much. Inspector Borlu was a very well-written character, but I didn't like much else.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

Yes of course. Why wouldn't it be if you liked the other Bas-Lag stuff?

Maybe if you don't like reading about a character constantly masturbating... Every time that happened it pulled me right out of the story.