Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apkallu
May 8, 2007
I'm about 2/3 through TC&TC, and I'm somewhat disappointed. Maybe it's because in my previous life I was an anthropologist, and I feel like I'm being beaten about the head with social construction issues in TC&TC.

For a while I was holding onto a theory for TC&TC like that in one of the stories in 'Looking for Jake': 'Reports of Certain Events in London', with the streets that would come and go from view, but it's pretty obvious now that that's not the case. If it is, that means the disappearing streets are now less cool, since it's just a product of my world-view. I'd much rather have some fantastic left in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apkallu
May 8, 2007
Well, the multiple universes thing isn't unique to the genre of - let's say genre books, to keep from pigeon-holing fantasy/sci-fi-/*punk, etc - but Mieville has mentioned Moorcock as an influence, and he's all about the multiverse thing.

Apkallu
May 8, 2007
I'm just over 100 pages of my copy of Kraken - I ordered it from the UK on release day and it got here yesterday, which I think is pretty nice turn-around - and I keep upsetting my partner because I'm laughing at little exchanges and refusing to explain them. He gets it second.

Perhaps I should be grateful I can't rush through Mieville. Something about his writing style slows me down. I appreciate it and am frustrated by it at the same time. Thankfully, I'm not running to the dictionary like I was the first time; I think my brain woke up and remembered all my Latin from the time I read PSS to now.

Apkallu
May 8, 2007

Oasx posted:

Since we are already talking about all his books, it is a bit of a shame that Un Lun Dun never gets much attention...

I think Un Lun Dun is one of his strongest works, actually. (I'm not really a Gaiman person - couldn't get into his stuff other than 'American Gods'.) I wonder if the somewhat tighter constraints of the type of story he was trying to write worked in his favor, versus the slightly looser rein he has with the other genres. Of course he subverts the story tropes in his own way, but it works, dammit. TC&TC may also have this in its favor and felt more 'adult' in a 'serious philosophical novel' sort of way.

I really, really wanted to love Kraken immediately, but it took me two reads to finish. There's a good novel in there but there's a few too many things going on around it.