Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Slush
Jul 5, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

You probably won't like anything by Mieville then, he writes pretty much transparent protagonists for the narrative to focus around, rather than flesh-and-blood people you can actually relate to. Iron Council might be an exception to this but it's been a long time since I've read it.

True. I never really liked Bellis as a protagonist, but The Scar is such a great book that I hardly cared after a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Slush
Jul 5, 2007

SwissDonkey posted:

Finished PSS last night, what a loving good book. My favorite part is that the protagonist isn't some buff white 20 year old army man who gets loads of pussy, it's a fat black 30-something scientist who fucks bug people.

I don't remember Isaac being black.

Sir Slush
Jul 5, 2007

Oasx posted:

Only thing i didnt like was how selfish all the humans came off as, they made addicts of an entire race and their solution while waiting for help was to make them even more addicted and kill the ones waiting for a fix.
Even during the end it feels like the Hosts were violated with how much their language changed.

What else were they supposed to do? Embassytown was surrounded by the Host city and the Hosts (I think) far outnumbered humans. The only thing the humans could do to keep from being wiped out was to feed the aliens' addiction to pacify them and buy more time to come up with a plan. As for killing the addicted, I think it was pretty clearly self-defense.

Also I don't know where you're getting this idea that a language that changes is a bad thing. Do you have any idea how much real languages change over time? Besides it wasn't the humans' intention to alter Language; in fact it was a faction of Hosts themselves who wanted to be able to lie in the first place.

Sir Slush
Jul 5, 2007

Chexmix posted:

How does the Embassytown audiobook handle Language, when it's written like fractions? Could somebody get a snippet of what that stuff sounds like? I'm having trouble imagining it properly.
They record the narrator pronouncing each part of the "fraction" separately, then for the book they play them back at the same time.