Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squidbeak
Jul 24, 2007

Com Truise

Hedrigall posted:

Here's a pretty cool map of Bas-Lag someone did:
http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs51/f/2009/300/9/5/Bas_Lag_by_JenJenRobot.jpg

Totally awesome, only gripe is the misspelling of Cacatopic Stain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidbeak
Jul 24, 2007

Com Truise

redreader posted:

my least favourite thing about bas-lag was the handlingers. It's always "OH MY GOD IT'S A HANDLINGER THEY'RE ULTIMATE BADASSES" and then they get their asses handed (hurr) to them. Also I thought the scar was great, AMAZINGly good, and Iron Council was a massive disappointment to me. I love the sense of the weird that you get from his books.

Anyway, starting The city and the city so I hope it's decent!

I think it made sense, the handlingers were shown to be badasses and thus proved how powerful the slake moths were when the slake moths annihilated them.

Squidbeak fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jun 19, 2010

Squidbeak
Jul 24, 2007

Com Truise

Hedrigall posted:

I've been probated for the last month, and I had something really cool I wanted to post about 2 weeks ago but I totally forget what it was. Oh well, have an awesome new interview by the AV Club!
http://www.avclub.com/articles/china-mieville,43139/

"Kraken was an effort to tap into that same kind of pleasurable ramble. In some ways, Kraken is more like Perdido, whereas The City & The City was a departure. It’s the kind of thing I’d like to do a lot more of. In some ways, this was getting back to what I was better known for."

I can't tell if he's saying he'd rather do a lot more pleasurable ramble type language or stilted stuff like TC&TC. Though, reading further he seemed to emphasize this was the end of that type of, er, rumbustious writing for him.

Squidbeak
Jul 24, 2007

Com Truise

Desumaytah posted:

I just finished Iron Council. It had its moments but it also had its infuriating stretches. As far as his Bas Lag books go, I think the Scar was the most well-written and Perdido Street Station was the most exciting.

Mieville has this interesting habit in his books of introducing new toys and then suddenly breaking them before they can really affect the narrative. The Ape-Constructs, mercenaries and Handlingers in PSS all show up for a bit and then are destroyed or cowed by the Slake Moths pretty quickly. In the Scar Armada spends so much time summoning the Avanc, but then it just pulls Armada along, gets sick and turns back. The Statue is broken because the Grindylow are like "Hahah gently caress we're not savages ma'am." And even the reveal of what the Scar is kind of defeats the purpose of even going there in the first place. In Iron Council it's Toro's helmet, which up until like three paragraphs before it bursts into flames was completely fine and working perfectly, and the light golem: used once then never again.

It's kind of cool he can just toss those things aside like that, it makes for some pleasant uncertainty when reading his work.

I still think Un Lun Dun is his best book, though.

I could be wrong, but in The Scar didn't the Grindylow chew big gashes in the Avanc or some such that made it sick?

Squidbeak
Jul 24, 2007

Com Truise

TouretteDog posted:

The podcast "To the best of our knowledge" just had an episode where Mieville talks a bit about Emabssytown. It's brief, but I found it pretty interesting.

Cool interview. Thanks for posting it.

Squidbeak
Jul 24, 2007

Com Truise

Sir Slush posted:

They record the narrator pronouncing each part of the "fraction" separately, then for the book they play them back at the same time.

That's pretty cool actually

Squidbeak
Jul 24, 2007

Com Truise

iron_weasel posted:

Gabe has terrible taste in books. His number one love in the world is the Star Wars Genre.

All ironic because Tycho's writing is similar in the D&D weird monster sense. Deep Crow? Come on, Tycho, he's like what you dream to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidbeak
Jul 24, 2007

Com Truise

Hedrigall posted:

China has another new short fiction piece up on his blog: http://chinamieville.net/post/90548155303/trailer-the-crawl

It's a script for a movie trailer and it's super hosed up and I don't understand what's happening and :cry:

this is loving badass. china is a genius.