Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
hannibal burress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Bilirubin posted:

lol that's about right

several chapters in and now that there are enough characters things are moving along better with less exposition. But there are still another 600 pages in which that tide could turn!

Definitely prefer his shorter form fiction

i was bored with it until around the time a conflict finally occurred, after which point i was enraptured......great book imo.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Bilirubin posted:

Good to know. I will definitely keep going because it seems a well regarded book and now that the pieces are being put on the board the exposition is starting to serve more of a purpose. I have enjoyed everything of his I have read so far other than Last Days so if nothing else I expect an entertaining story (with I hear a difficult ending--don't know the specifics other than "its a hard read")

difficult might not be the right word to describe the ending —- i would use “bitter.” but i think thats one of the biggest strengths of the book.......its conclusion feels inevitable. bas-lag is a much worse place than embassytown

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
just lolled to myself at the idea of someone trying to adapt PSS and having to pitch khepri to an hbo exec.....i would straight up die to watch a show where the female lead is a red skinned woman whose head is just a weird bug that talks by farting

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

mitochondritom posted:

Not going to lie, all I could picture for the Anopheles-guys in the Scar were these dudes:

I'm not entirely convinced that China didn't use them as the basis either.

unfortunately all i could think about was normal dudes who have anuses for mouths

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
just finished a reread of The Scar and while i said earlier that PSS was eminently unfilmable, i think The Scar might actually be perfectly suitable for adaptation

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

andrew smash posted:

I really like everything about the scar for filming except uther. I don't think he even really worked on the page, on the screen what nuance he has will vanish and he will end up a generic "brooding man with dark backstory who owns everyone with a magic sword" figure

all you need to do to fix uther is cast alexander skaarsgard

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

pseudanonymous posted:

I think it'd be really hard to capture the wtf moment at the end when Bellis realizes that Uther either manipulated her or else is just a terrifying improviser. It's a very The Usual Suspects kind of revelation.

its very confusing for sure. but u could just make her letters voiceovers and it would work

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Oasx posted:

You might as well change the ending if you are going to adapt it, it is absolutely the worst part of the book.

even if its the worst part idk how it could be changed to be better

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

pseudanonymous posted:

Can you elaborate as to why you don't like it?

its very anticlimactic.....the titular scar is only seen in a might-have-been. in reality armada turns around right before reaching it, after spending the whole book seeking it......however, the attempted mutiny right before is very thrilling

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i think the usual suspects is a bad movie with no plot, yes

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
ive actually not read iron council....hm

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
PSS has an extremely climactic final act

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

andrew smash posted:

It's his best novel by a considerable margin, imo.

agreed

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Philthy posted:

I just picked up Perdido Street Station again. I just had no time a few years back, and now I've got a nice uninterrupted lunch hour to kick back and read every day so I've been getting through so many books I've always wanted to read which is awesome. I've been wanting to return to this so bad.

One thing that I am finding is there is so much surreal weirdness going on in this world. Has anyone made any commercial artbooks or maybe even RPG source books? I feel like this world needs artists to capture it all!

he wrote a really weird resurrection of the comic Dial H For Hero

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Oasx posted:

I think it's absolutely a positive that he is writing the stuff he wants, and not just pumping out yearly Bas-lag books for the paycheck

Wrong

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
spectre haunting is a great title

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
perdido street station is great and doesnt feel as long as it is

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Sandwolf posted:

I’m not trying to raise an argument but I had a completely different reading that they are not parallel earths, but merely two cities inhabiting the same place, and centuries of socially conditioning people to respect one vs the other is what creates the divide. But if Joe Schmoe from America goes to the place and walks around that border checkpoint he’s not entering alternate dimensions.

he means that the earth the book takes place on is parallel to our earth

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I always thought City and the City was the least interesting of his books because that's just what Glasgow/Belfast are like irl

the setting is reasonably novel, but its just a really good noir thriller imo

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
its a genre called “speculative fiction” about something that doesn’t exist, but might as well

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

FPyat posted:

Science fiction is not merely defined by difference from reality. People mostly do not say that fantasy simply is a form of science fiction, though I’m sure there are many theorists who do.

this is a non sequitur but i do argue that sometimes

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

FPyat posted:

I'd call that the opposite of the truth. People need to stake out what exactly their terms are when there is no wide consensus about it (after all, people can't even settle whether Star Wars is SF); rather, it is when there is wide agreement that there is no need to get into the convoluted specifics. If you want your own view of its meaning to be immaterial, then you don't have much cause to declare it bonkers to adopt one of the other definitions in the contested social discourse that decides what science fiction is.

its fiction with science in it

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i picture them looking like smaller versions of ebrietas, daughter of the cosmos from bloodborne

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

thats pretty much what i saw in my head