Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aussie Crawl
Aug 21, 2007
Contains Opinions Which May Offend
The voice actor is John Lee, his voice does a good job of lending everything he reads a sense of gravitas and importance, he also does a much better job of conveying emotion than a lot of audiobook readers. The only real problem with his work is that if you listen to a lot of the books he's read he tends to reuse his vocal repertoire , but i guess there's only so much you can do with one voice really.

Having finished TC&TC recently i've got to say i was rather unimpressed with it. There just wasn't enough meat on that story to justify an entire novel.

The driving plot for the majority of it just didn't have the legs it needed to go the distance and the characters all came across as rather flat and uninteresting. It would have been a more interesting book if he'd abandoned the whole murder mystery aspect of the story and instead focused on one of the Unificationists and given more information on the distinct character of each city. As it was it just seemed like a rather boring Ex-Soviet Union craphole sharing space with generic Middle Eastern City for no very good reason being used as a backdrop for characters i didn't know or care about following up a murder mystery that wasn't very interesting.

I'd give this one about a 2 out of 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aussie Crawl
Aug 21, 2007

SaviourX posted:

gently caress yes, just got City and the City from the liberry.

Prepare to be disappointed.

Aussie Crawl
Aug 21, 2007
I'd love to know what the gently caress is wrong with American Publishers, why do they always choose the blandest possible image for your book covers. I mean look what they did to Terry Pratchetts books for so many years.