Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

I loved all three of the Bas-Lag books, but the sheer crushing depression throughout them means I can only read them once in a great while. Although at least they tend to end with a *bit* of an upbeat note and hope for the future.

I was reading Hal Duncan's Vellum recently and it reminded me a lot of Mieville's style, particularly the descriptions of Reynard wandering the deserted multiverse. I was pretty sick at the time so I wasn't able to keep track of some of the non-linear storylines though, I'll have to reread it before moving to Ink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

The hanglingers were another great race, and he used them pretty effectively in both Perdido Street Station and Iron Council. They seemed much more like "classical" vampires than the actual vampires in the world (superstrength, evil intellect, flight, hiding in plain sight), while including elements from Heinlein's Puppetmasters and demonic possession. Yet despite all their powers he still managed to keep them vulnerable, such as during the slake-moth hunt in PSS and their attack on the revolutionaries in Iron Council.