Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

So I've started reading his books and decided to start with The City & The City followed by Embassytown. Having finished them both, I'm glad I wasn't overtly discouraged by TC&TC, since Embassytown was such a treat and one of the best and most inventive sci-fi books I've read in a long time. I liked the premise of TC&TC but in the end the story felt rather pedestrian for me: maybe it was because I was expecting a bit more sci-fi and less mystery thriller, so maybe the issue was with my expectations, but I think I was more interested in the background of the book itself rather than the actual storyline, and by the end I felt that the reveals weren't enough to make me invested in the outcome, or what exactly happened to the characters. Although the particulars would of course be different, I could have seen a similar storyline even in a book that doesn't use the interesting gimmick that TC&TC has.

On the other hand, Embassytown, although relatively slow at first, builds up to a fever pitch by the end and really gripped me, and the end itself revealed so much more about the world and how the Hosts operated within them. It felt truly unique and I'm glad I had a chance to read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I've read Perdido Street Station, then went to Iron Council, and currently reading The Scar. I must say that, although I enjoyed Iron Council, I didn't like the ending much (the actions of the characters seemed to be shaped by the storyline that the book was trying to convey, instead of the actions of the characters shaping the storyline), and the book seems even weaker now that I'm reading The Scar (where the conceit of the story seems to be a copy/replace, although the actual flow of the storyline and the characters between the two books are markedly different).

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

So I’ve read PSS, The Scar, Iron Council, Embassytown and TC&TC. What next?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Kraken really dragged through the middle for me, there’s a point in the storyline where the plot isn’t really going anywhere and the book just brings out more and more elements about occult London without really explaining those elements. There is more or less an exposition dump by the end but this was one of the few of his books which I really struggled to get through.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I wouldn't say that Embassytown fizzles out and to me it has the strongest ending of all his books since the change at the end is so dramatic. After the resolution of the main plot there's an epilogue but I wouldn't really count that as the main narrative ending of the book. Although I might be biased because Embassytown is by far my favourite of his books.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Does anyone else know of any other book where language is the main conceit of the book like Embassytown? I think the manipulation of the language and how it feels truly alien is one of my favourite things about the book so I'm really wondering if there is anything else like it out there.

Talking about embassytown also reminds me of a review of the book on goodreads where someone went "I study linguistics and it's IMPOSSIBLE that a language does not allow you to lie and that's why the book is bad", and it was the most asinine review I've ever read.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Embassytown 2, let's gooooo

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I usually one-and-done books but I think I've re-read Embassytown cover to cover 5 times so far.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

That's almost as good as the review of embassytown where an apparent linguist/brain surgeon said that it was impossible for a species to be biologically unable to lie.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I was pretty sure it was in goodreads but I can’t find it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Doing another re-read of Embassytown and still enjoying the gradual worldbuilding and reveals that happen in the early chapters before The Event. I think what I find most enjoyable about those early parts of the book is that due to the fact that the entire book reads like a diary/biography written by Avice is that there is a gradual reveal of some of the elements of the universe, especially in relation to the Ambassadors and who (or what) they actually are. I like how the writing manages to both give the illusion of normalcy since Avice is so familiar with the world of Embassytown, while still making it feel alien, since there are so many things that Avice talks about that always feel a bit off when you read about them, even when re-reading the book. I don't think I've ever re-read a book as many times as I have with Embassytown, which has kind of become a yearly (or less, if my reading queue empties) ritual for me.