Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Oasx posted:

What is the general opinion on The Last Days of New Paris and This Census-Taker? They seem a little short compared to the rest of his work, but that doesn't really matter if they are good.

I didn't like This Census-Taker at all. Too inscrutable for me. Easily my least favorite Mieville book, secret Bas-Lag connection or no.

Haven't read Last Days of New Paris yet and would be interested to hear what the consensus is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Tekopo posted:

So I’ve read PSS, The Scar, Iron Council, Embassytown and TC&TC. What next?

Three Moments of an Explosion.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Oasx posted:

That is the only one of his books that haven’t done anything for me, i would be prepared for disappointment.

:yossame:

I would not say it was bad but I think that’s a good way to put it, it just didn’t do anything for me. It’s kind of inscrutable. There are fan theories that it is set in Bas-Lag.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

uber_stoat posted:

it is a Wolfe type thing. he isn't using fancy archaic words to sound like a smarty pants. he does it to instill a sense of strangeness and distance to the setting.

I dig the puissant/thaumaturgy/etc. stuff for this exact reason - it’s Wolfe-esque worldbuilding. At the very least I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt on it. :shrug:

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Quandary posted:

What did people think of Three Moments of an Explosion? I've read a number of the stories and it seems like most have a really fascinating premise, but kinda fizzle out without much closure or attempt at an ending. I guess that's by design?

I liked Three Moments and would recommend it to someone who is already a fan of Mieville. I basically agree with Saul Goode - there are a lot of creative and memorable ideas in it that don't always go anywhere. I think it's fine for a short story to fizzle plot-wise in a way that would be frustrating in a longer work, though. If I read 20 pages and there are a couple interesting images in there and maybe an "aha!" moment when I figure out what is actually going on, but not a lot else, I'm okay with that. Still, the best stores in the collection are the ones that actually have a bit of an arc, like the Dowager of Bees or Sacken.

Bold Robot fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jun 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

pseudanonymous posted:

Also, it seems like he's mostly just writing non-fiction right now.

I think this is really all there is to it. He’s still writing and publishing, so I don’t get the impression he’s trying to keep his head down because of the allegations and such (which, as noted, are from a while ago). He’s just not writing and publishing the stuff that fans of his fiction necessarily want to read. It’s a bummer but :shrug: