Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I recieved Perdido Street Station as a part of a Secret Santa-deal, and I was a bit cautious about it. However, after having read it, I was in love with the universe and New Crobozun. I wanted to read more. And The Scar really hit the spot!
Giant monsters, weird creatures and allround mystic things was just what I wanted.

So it was with great enthusiasm I began reading Iron Council. And I just couldn't get into it. If it was the plot, the main character or what it was, I don't know. In any case I just couldn't get past the first third.

I'm planning on getting either The Kraken or The city and The City.
Compared to Iron Council, how was City?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Oasx posted:

I dont remember either character being particulary unlikable.

That's also my take on it. But I just couldn't get into the main character of Iron Council. That might have beenone of the reasons I couldn't get very far in it.
I must restart it at a later stage, perhaps I'll have more luck the second time.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

A couple of years ago, I got PSS in a Secret Santa gift and I absolutely loved it. The Scar was quickly bought and I loved that too.
I didn't get more than about 50 pages into Iron Council before it ended up on a shelf. There were just something off about it. Perhaps it was just the main character (I can't even remember what he was called, only that he was gay and wanted to have sex)

Kraken... Well, at that point I think my enthusiasm for Miéville dropped. From the brief descriptions it sounded really awesome, but I had trouble reading it. Sure, it might be because english is my second language and its prose was odd but mainly I thought it was because it didn't hook me right. And despite claims that this book was funny, I don't remember a single place where I encountered something that made me smile.

Perhaps my attitude for this is completely wrong. I liked the world of PSS and the Scar, with the strangeness and everything. Perhaps I'm more of an instant gratification kinda guy. It has to hook from some of the first pages and if the requirement for enjoying the book (or movie for that matter) is that I have to look at themes or real world parallels... Well, that's not for me.

That said, I'm still curious about his other books. If you keep in mind that my favorite Miéville is PSS and The Scar, how would you say Embassytown and TC&TC holds up? Much different or what?

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

A Roadside Picnic like story, set near the the Cacotopic Stain. Roadside Picnic did a good job of describing strange stuff and how people just couldn't grasp it.