Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

FPyat posted:

Science fiction is not merely defined by difference from reality. People mostly do not say that fantasy simply is a form of science fiction, though I’m sure there are many theorists who do.

Are you even engaging with the conversation anymore?

No one has said that. Who are you talking to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

FPyat posted:

You stated that ‘That’s like, not how the concepts of “different” and “same” work.’ Which suggested to me that that might be the definition of science fiction you might be operating with.

What I actually said however is that having an alternative present Earth is always, definitionally a science fiction premise.

You quoted it the first time.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

FPyat posted:

That’s the primary reason why it seemed likely you would hold such a definition.

Perhaps this has been educational then.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I mean the timeline would have diverged by at least Bronze Age because of the whole archaeology plot.

And my personal definition is immaterial* because, and I really keep coming back to this, of how that statement was made inside of a larger discourse. If you read all of them in sequence it makes more sense.

*if you must know, I don’t particularly care since the point of genre labels is descriptive communication. Rigid definitions of nuances are only useful if they’re widely agreed upon, and having a bespoke, personalized definition is completely antithetical to that. Much better to never assume something has to be either one genre or another, and then clarify specific definitions for a given conversation as needed. (“For this discussion, we can say “romance” in the older, non-amorous meaning” or whatever.)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

FPyat posted:

What I want ideally is for alternate history to be seen as an equal member of a triad with SF and Fantasy, but its lesser popularity means it’s never going to happen.

Who is trying to rank genres? That's dumb as poo poo and you should ignore people who do that.

(That question is rhetorical. You should not answer it.)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Alhazred posted:

Why Railsea is great:
1. There's an entire chapter just about the concept of ampersand.
2. It's a YA book about the evils of capitalism.
3. The Thomas the Tank Engine bit is really funny.

The ending is just magic, the concept of a fake prosthesis, great monsters, some pretty subtle representation, good sense of humor…

Railsea owns.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Oasx posted:

I actually don’t like the end, but I usually don’t like the endings of any of his books, so Railsea is no better or worse in that regard.

I mean specifically that the capitalists are now ape people in top hats.

The rest of the ending could've been a personal attack against my mom and I'd still love it for just that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I love the pure narrative balls to never, ever give a good description of the Hosts.

wtf the is a "gift wing"