Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

ShutteredIn posted:

So China wrote a pretty interesting article on the monstrous aspects used in Weird fiction for the philosophy journal Collapse called: M. R. James and the Quantum Vampire: Weird; Hauntological: Versus and/or and and/or or?

The whole journal is available for free in pdf here:

http://freeourbooks.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/collapseiv.pdf

China's article starts on page 62 of the PDF. It's worth looking at just for the picture of "China" with skull and octopus.

Also the Reza Negarestani article on necrosis after China's is one of the most disgusting things I've ever read.

WHOA does anyone want to talk about this? The discussion of the biological horror of cephalopods at the beginning is really interesting. I lose him when he gets into hauntology a little bit (he seems to think that fin de siecle authors were trying to use or invent the modern english meaning of "ghost" and failing? what?) and he ends up seeming to use taxonomy of past literature to argue a point about the present in a way that doesnt 100% work for me. But he's critically examining stuff that gets glossed over as much by its fans as by its critics and I think this is interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU