Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zacpol
Jan 11, 2010

Encryptic posted:

The original cover for City and Saints and Madmen with an actual story written in fine type on the cover. Can't find a good picture that shows the cover up close but you get the idea:

I could kiss you for this. I read the amazon page for that book a while ago and wanted to order it, but I didn't and soon forgot the name entirely. So stumbling on your post was the best thing to happen to me today.

But back on the topic of China Mieville, even though I'm joining the thread late...

I loved the three Bas-Lag novels, although The Scar was definitely my favorite. I really love his gritty settings and style; everything about the world is detailed and a lot of it warrants at least its own short story. Like (non-spoiler) the Ribs in New Crobuzon from Perdido Street Station, the Weavers from PSS and The Iron Council, the khepri exodus, etc.

But that praise in itself is also my one criticism, besides the obligatory and in my mind not entirely necessary love stories in each of the novels. Mieville mentions places like High Cromlech and Tesh, both of which would be perfect settings for Mieville's urban fantasy, but I feel like he might focus on New Crobuzon inhabitants and spinoffs rather than creating an entirely new storyline. Also, there are other characters and locations that are equally intriguing but most likely won't have an entire book devoted to them because it would necessitate a stylistic change: for example, the nomadic Garuda tribes in the desert.

Still, I love Mieville's writing and I'm going to start reading TC&TC later in the week on my plane ride to Chicago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zacpol
Jan 11, 2010

Encryptic posted:

Cool - glad I was of some help. Enjoy the book. :)

So I picked up The City of Saints and Madmen yesterday, and started reading it today on my plane ride. The first story was bad to the point of skipping ahead to the second after 30 pages. I thought I had made a mistake, but the second story, in which the historian recounts the founding of Ambergris, is both interesting and funny. I even stopped after the first few sections to read the glossary of terms, which as a whole was even better (my favorites being the entry on The Occupation, the letter from Maximillian Sharp, and the Hyggboutten's burial ritual).

Do his other books share the same sense of humor?

zacpol fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jan 13, 2010