Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
I just found it myself actually, after reading a description of it. The magazine it was published in rather nicely has it on their site.

http://www.iconeye.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4274:china-mieville-the-rope-is-the-world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
That dividing line across all of them is the perfect unifying touch to his work.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
http://deannahoak.com/2010/10/18/fake-facebook-profiles-featuring-china-mieville/
According to his copyeditor, Facebook did take them down eventually.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

MikeJF posted:

And now, a shiny new short story in the Guardian! Look! Isn't that lovely! Go read it!

I haven't read Cyclonopedia, but from what I've heard of it I can't help but detect shades of it in this story.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Just finished reading Embassytown. I think that may have been the most... Mieville-ish book he's written to date. It's like his love of language, alien-ness, disdain for narrative, all on full throttle.
The speech that Spanish Dancer gives at the end was probably one of the best bits of prose he's ever written for that matter.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Paragon8 posted:

Is it not out in a lot of places yet? I was a little disappointed by the lack of discussion on it.

It's not out in the US until the 17th.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
This has to be the gimmickiest idea for a blog ever:
http://couldtheybeatupchinamieville.wordpress.com/

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

quote:

Did anyone else think it was a little weird that as much as Mieville likes to explore and exult in "the Other", there's something fundamentally colonialist and anthrocentric about the proposition that the aliens need to be fixed by learning how to communicate like we do?
Colonialism and imperialism are strongly recurring themes in Mieville's books, particularly in the Bas Lag setting, so you got that part right. Part of the point of Embassytown, I felt, was asking whether they needed to be "fixed" in the first place seeing as it was humans that hosed them up in the first place.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Duck and burger posted:

I just finished the first chapter of The City & The City for my first Mieville book and I'm extremely confused. What is up with the faux foreign prose? Between the bizarre/straight up wrong diction and disjointed train of thought (especially the last few paragraphs of that chapter), I'm having a tremendous amount of trouble slogging through just the words themselves, but this book gets rave reviews. If anyone's got some suggestions on how to approach this work, I'm all ears.

The prose was purposefully written to sound like an awkward translation from a Slavic language. I remember thinking just this when I first read it, then I looked up some interview where Mieville said as much.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
I just lost it when (late-ish spoiler) you find out that Naphi didn't actually lose her arm to Mocker Jack. Naphi in general is too good.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
I like the Cabinet of Curiosities a lot more personally, though I think both of them suffer if you try and read more than 2 or 3 stories a day.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Hedrigall posted:

Does anyone buy McSweeney's? The new issue (#45) has a new China Miéville short story called "The Design". I need to get my hands on it :ohdear:

Got a copy of it today, haven't read the story yet though.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

taser rates posted:

Got a copy of it today, haven't read the story yet though.

Ended up reading the new short story yesterday, and it was, well, pretty Mieville. It's about a surgeon in training who finds that the body he's practicing on has a scrimshawed skeleton. As weird as that sounds, it's actually pretty restrained and melancholy, can't recall if he's written something in that mood before.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Dirty Frank posted:

For me one of the best things about written fantasy is imagining the characters and settings, I quite like seeing other peoples ideas after I've formed a mental image, but not before I've been able to. Having said that though I never had a good mental image of the Hosts, probably because the internet has killed my imagination.

Well to be fair, he pretty intentionally never describes the Hosts in detail, from what I recall. There are only descriptions of individual body parts or overall impressions (horse bird bug or something like that).

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
NEW SHORT STORY http://www.tor.com/stories/2014/07/polynia

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Pfft, I thought it was all right back when I read it. As far as favorites go, definitely agree with Embassytown being his best, but Railsea and The Scar are up there for me as well.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Yep, I always like characterizing it as social science fiction because of that, it's really unique.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
lol, that should have been the cover on the normal release, jesus christ.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

thehomemaster posted:

IT'S SOLD OUT ALREADY?!?!

When was it on sale?

It went on preorder like a month ago, but without cover art.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Got my copy of Three Moments in today, now if I can just tear myself away from Bloodborne...

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Ha yea, I got the same Cyclonopedia vibe from The Dusty Hat as well, it's kind of making me want to re-read it now.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Yea, I don't really blame anyone for not being able to finish Cyclonopedia, it must have taken me at least a month of on and off reading and backtracking. What brought it to mind while reading The Dusty Hat was more of a vague feeling on my part than anything concrete, but there is some similarity, in my recollection, between the sentience of the dust vs the role that the desert and oil play in Cyclonopedia.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Reason posted:

Dang I just finished Kraken and start tc&tc hoping it was going to be better, ohhh well. Was pretty disappointed with Kraken after Embassytown.

I like TC&TC a lot more than Kraken for what it's worth.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
I would name Felix Gilman, specifically The Half Made World, the semi-sequel The Rise of Ransom City. They're "weird westerns", like semi-mythical retellings of American history. Extremely good poo poo.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

is there such a thing as non-mediocre gaiman

outside of a comics context, anyways

I've like a few of his short stories.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Social science fiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Gertrude Perkins posted:

Literally punched the air in excitement. Hell yeah.

Also I didn't see anyone posting about this before, but back in December of last year, Miéville was on Chris Hayes's podcast Why Is This Happening?, of all things. They had a rather nice and respectful conversation about the Communist Manifesto.

Thanks for linking that, really enjoyable listen.