Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I was seriously disappointed by pss. The 'amazing setting' was just some guy riffing on planescape and the writing and plot just struck me as amateurish and bad. I stopped about 2/3rds in. I mean, did he just really want to write in the planescape setting but change the names and make everything brown so that he could pretend to be a real author or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

My most vivid memory of the book is when we first go to the cactus district and the author spends a page or two describing in extreme detail how the cactus' guard crossbows work, not because they are being used and it's somehow relevent to what's happening at the time, but because he's obviously just thought about it as part of his world building and he felt he needed to put it somewhere because it was cool.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

SaviourX posted:

The prose itself is far from amateurish and the plotting for PSS is slow, but hardly bad. As someone that's probably read DnD books before, I can't believe you say that seriously.

I have never read a dnd book I can assure you.

edit: and when I say planescape I mean Sigil specifically.

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Apr 26, 2010

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

PSS has literally nothing to do with science fiction why did it win a science fiction award?? (let alone any literary award)