Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
Looking forward to eight pages of intimate mechanical detail describing someone making love to Bellend Mountain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

So I just finished (and loved) Iron Council, meaning I've finished the Bas-Lag trilogy completely now. Where do I go with Miéville from here? The only other book of his I've read (and also loved) was London's Overthrow, and I own the essay collection Red Planets.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

I have Embassytown on order at my local bookshop, and I'm excited.

Speaking of Dial H, I only have the first trade - is the second one also China's writing? Is it worth getting either way?

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

I now own a copy of Embassytown! So that'll be my next Miéville~

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Eiba posted:

I thought Iron Council's anti-climax was fantastic. It ended with the defeat of the revolution, but an vivid and visceral promise of a future revolution in the form of that incredible frozen train, motionlessly poised to hurtle once more towards the city. It might be because I really liked that image, but I was left really satisfied with Iron Council.

Yes! It really got to me when I read it - I should see how I feel a few years later, given how much more radicalised things have become.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

I agree with the above posts - his essays and nonfiction are good (London's Overthrow was particularly puissant for me when I first read it) but I want a nice chunky brain-scrambling novel. I've found I'm rationing the remaining books of his I haven't got to yet.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

I agree about the endings - Iron Council is my favourite of the three but it wouldn't have meant nearly as much, thematically, without PSS and The Scar before it. I might have posted about this when I first read it, but taking the concept of a Permanent Revolution and making it text really got to me. The collision is always imminent, the vision of a better world is always visible. After 2,000 pages of strife and failure and torment, peppered with smaller victories, it felt like the most fitting way to wrap things up.

I do wonder what a hypothetical fourth Bas-Lag book would look like, and even where/when it would take place. I don't think Miéville would be satisfied with another side story set during the events of the trilogy, but I don't know how far into the "future" a sequel might be set. Dieselpunk with crisis engines? Whatever warped form of hyper-globalism emanates from New Crobuzon or one of its rival city-states? A feel-good road trip with a plucky band of misfit teens exploring the ruins of the fallen empires?

Gertrude Perkins fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Sep 29, 2022

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Literally punched the air in excitement. Hell yeah.

Also I didn't see anyone posting about this before, but back in December of last year, Miéville was on Chris Hayes's podcast Why Is This Happening?, of all things. They had a rather nice and respectful conversation about the Communist Manifesto.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Open Source Idiom posted:

Special hole stories.

Chuck Tingle has this genre on lock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010