Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Oasx posted:

The first episode of The city and the city aired on BBC2 last night, it was pretty good!

After watching the first episode I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was and how it nailed the aesthetic of Besźel (at least how I pictured it in the book). I was even more surprised at how many Liverpudlian locations I spotted and at one point saw a building that I used to live in as a student.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Juice Packets posted:

I was tickled by them leaving in a Merseytravel bus stop in the first wide shot of St George's Copula Hall in the first episode. Haven't been able to watch beyond that as yet but thought they did a nice job of actually making town look like two completely different cities

My girlfriend is from Manchester and she spotted a bunch of stuff from there. In particular she noticed somewhere close to Deansgate. We finished watching it last night and while I enjoyed it, I think it deviated pretty heavily from the book (Borlu's wife being the main one). Both myself and my partner didn't really enjoy the flash backs with his wife. Neither of us understood why he was so into her, when she seemingly gave zero shits about him. Almost to the point of her using him. In particular the scene where she moves into his apartment and just dumps her poo poo down, immediately gets him making coffee and is flippant, whereas it is a massive deal for him. If I recall correctly, in the novel Borlu has a girlfriend (maybe 2?) who he is sort of on-and-off seeing and doesn't have much baggage.

Other than that, I thought it was really well done. I enjoyed the contrast of the cities and even thought changing Ghatt into a female character worked well. I imagine it didn't do very well with people who weren't familiar with the book. It didn't do nearly enough to explain how Beszel, Ul-Qooma and breach worked until Corwi flipped him between cities, the girl with the toy in episode one wasn't explicit enough I think.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Bilirubin posted:

OK. The world is really interesting, but Billy (and Marg to a lesser extent) is quite the Mary Sue. Its ruining an otherwise fun read

Perhaps it is underscoring John Constantine's old ultimate secret of magic: "Any oval office can do it"

Kraken was my introduction to Mieville and I read it after a visit to the NHM (including the spirit jar tour) and so I found the whole thing to be really engaging and fun. It felt like a better take on Harry Potter, if that makes sense. I should re-read it sometime because a lot of the latter half is getting foggy with regards to what happens.

I think Kraken was the Mieville book where he got stuck in a cycle of using the word "clot". Sometimes it felt like he had a bet with someone on how many times he could slip it in there.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Mordja posted:

Anyone watch the full TC&TC miniseries? I've heard mixed things.

I really enjoyed it, my partner did (both read TC&TC) as did a guy I know at work (non Mieville reader, no experience with TC&TC). It differs sufficiently from the book that you aren't 2 steps ahead and I loved the way they shot the cities (Liverpool and Manchester in the UK).

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

pseudanonymous posted:

It seems like he picks some word and overuses it in each book of the Bas-Lag trilogy. I can't remember what they are anymore but I remember thinking at the time, like okay this is the word for this book then.

Aerox posted:

What a puissant observation

Yes, I thought laciviously.

I had a tally on my bookmark for how many times he would use certain words. In Kraken I think it was clot.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

pseudanonymous posted:

I didn't notice it in Kraken, but I really liked that book, to me it seems like the best of the "magic is real you just don't know about it" sub-genre.

I really enjoyed it too. It was my first Mieville book, mainly because someone passed it on to me knowing how much I love squid and the Natural History Museum.

Really disliked the Goss and Stubby parts though. Can't quite put my finger on why. Overall I thought it was like a better "American Gods".

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Goddam the last few posts in this thread have reminded me just how much crazy poo poo is crammed into PSS. You guys haven't even mentioned the singing interdimensional spider monster or the fact that Issac's vacuum cleaners gets a virus and becomes sentient.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Not going to lie, all I could picture for the Anopheles-guys in the Scar were these dudes:

I'm not entirely convinced that China didn't use them as the basis either.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

All this talk of Lasciviousness and Puissance and yet no-one has mentioned "clot". I don't mind the China Mieville overuse of weirdly horrible words at all. I find it quite charming in a way. Any UK goons here who watch University Challenge? China Mieville was an answer to a question last week and I laughed at Paxman pronouncing his name "Mee-ay-ville", which I take it is correct, but had never heard it spoken out loud before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Oh my god. I can't wait, I was just thinking today actually after I saw that Planescape is being revived that Bas-Lag is due something too.