Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Ranking them is hard, because I think pretty much all of them are at worst still very solid books, but...

1. The City & the City
2. The Scar
3. Perdido Street Station
4. Embassytown
5. Kraken
6. Three Moments of an Explosion
7. Looking for Jake
8. Un Lun Dun
9. Railsea
10. King Rat
11. Iron Council

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Kraken is the only thing by CM that I haven't read because I hear it's so terrible. Why is it so bad?

I really liked it, but I remember when it came out it got criticized because it's fairly fluffy and light. It's been a few years since I've read it but if I'm remembering it correctly it's really more of a fun comedic adventure story than his normal stuff. It doesn't have the unsettling creepy vibe most of his books have, and there isn't really a strong underlying social message.

If you think you won't get annoyed at stuff like Chaos Nazis and weird Star Trek shut-in ghosts, give it a shot.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
I think I'm just going to reread all of his work in order of publication after I finish my reread of Looking for Jake.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

Is King Rat really not worth reading?

It's not TERRIBLE. If you want to read all of Mieville's work (like I did) it's worth getting just to read it. It's definitely his weakest book, in my opinion, and a lot of the super weird stuff he's famous for isn't really present, but it's still a serviceable story. I don't regret reading it when I did, but I probably won't read it again.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
What a puissant observation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
https://twitter.com/KELLYWEILL/status/1663616544167829506