Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
I've read the Bas-Lag series over the past few weeks and I really enjoyed them. I think Iron Council is my favourite but that might only be because that's the last one I finished. Judah Low is totally a reference to this guy, isn't he?

I think a cactus protagonist in any potential Bas-Lag sequel would be interesting; from memory we only get a tiny glimpse inside that one Captain's head in The Scar.

Which one should I read next? I was thinking Railsea because the premise looks fun :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
Alright, I guess I'll just read the lot :)

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
Yeah for me Scar is the weakest of the three, and Iron Council is the best. I've only read them once though. I love the golems, and that melancholic kind of feeling for a failed revolution. In some ways it feels like it's the happiest too, for all that happens.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
Le prince frais d'Air-Bel

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Hedrigall posted:

I read Census-Taker as well, took me a while to get around to it. I'll have more to say once I gather my thoughts for a blog post, but first of all:

So apparently The Last Days of New Paris is illustrated! (not my image)

That's a Max Ernst painting

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

andrew smash posted:

Iron council is the best bas lag book.

It definitely is

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Eiba posted:

I thought Iron Council's anti-climax was fantastic. It ended with the defeat of the revolution, but an vivid and visceral promise of a future revolution in the form of that incredible frozen train, motionlessly poised to hurtle once more towards the city. It might be because I really liked that image, but I was left really satisfied with Iron Council.

yeah it's great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Oasx posted:

I think The Scar is great, but it’s my least favorite Bas-Lag book by far, mostly because I really hate the ending.

yeah same. iron council is the best of the three.