Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Embassytown is insanely good. Best thing he's written since The Scar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

MeLKoR posted:

No doubt the revolution would be crushed, the question is if they were willing to die did Judah have the right to prevent them from doing it? I think I'm inclined to agree with Judah on this, their death now would serve no purpose and this way they'll be a daily reminder to the people of New Crobuzon that they aren't alone, that others all around them hate the government even if they have to keep their heads down for now. The revolution lives still.
A revolution must be about what is most effective, not bourgeois notions of romantic sacrifice. :ussr:
yeah I didn't like Iron Council much but this aspect of the ending owned. The mental image of the train frozen at the gates, the eternal revolution waiting for its moment to commence, is really cool

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The Tane.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The Red and White Bloc :allears:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

is there such a thing as non-mediocre gaiman

outside of a comics context, anyways
absolutely, there's also terrible Gaiman and the level below that, talking about Amanda Palmer Gaiman

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Cardiac posted:

Mievilles idea that everything is politics is just plain boring.
Politics is your worldview. An author cannot write non-politically unless they're writing, like, an algebra textbook. Harry Potter has a literal slave race that love to serve the superior class and the one person who wants to emancipate them is made fun of for it and narratively depicted as goofy and silly for it. And I mean she says people who want to raise her taxes are literally as bad as Hitler so it's not a huge stretch to conclude she's kind of a weirdo.

Sam Kriss wrote a good article on why HP is inherently fascist

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Mar 30, 2017

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

She's not in support of it explicitly but she absolutely holds it up as a good thing worth preserving in the face of anything else, which is all a bit banality of evil, is a bit weird whrn its a wealthy English woman explaining why a society built on slavery is noble at heart and worth defending, and leads very quickly to her recent ramblings that Jeremy Corbyn is as bad as the Nazis and Scottish independence supporters are Dementors

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

the negro hordes in LotR are the literal negro hordes, I think

not sure about dwarves being Jews but Harry Potter does have its treacherous, untrustworthy, extremely clever big-nosed gold-lovers who control the banking system

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I really didn't like TC&TC at all but I seem to be the only person in the world with that opinion so I think I definitely njeed to give it a re-read

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Embassytown is fantastic because it's a beautifully written book of speculative fiction about language rather than the sciences. It's both a very rare breed and an excellent example of its type.
it's absolutely his best book

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

uber_stoat posted:

here's an intersection of people I follow that I wasn't expecting. China on Chapo Trap House:

https://soundcloud.com/chapo-trap-house/episode-110-the-rocktober-revolution-feat-china-mieville-52217
owns

and also entirely expectable tbh

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The Scar or Embassytown are probably his two best books. The Scar has a pretty unsatisfying ending though - intentionally - so while I wouldn't let that put you off it might be worth reading a different book first. FWIW I agree with you about Three Moments.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

Miéville has this thing about anticlimax. Maybe he's trying to subvert the expectations of a satisfying ending in the same way he dislikes happy endings, I don't know, but I think he really overblew it in most of Three Moments. Haven't read anything later of his yet so I'm still hoping it won't turn into (even more of) a trend.

October has one too

:trotsky:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Embassytown is objectively his best novel because it's half left hand of darkness homage and half extensive Marxist analysis of linguistics

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

This census taker owns

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Census Taker is obviously meant to be *maybe* set in maybe Bas Lag. It's also not remotely relevant to the story being told, he's just throwing a bone to fans in a silly short story from three moments that got published as a stand-alone for some reason

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Nov 26, 2017

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Nah it was too much

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Bilirubin posted:

Just got a copy of This Census Taker on the cheap. How disappointing will this decision prove to be?

It's really good

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I read that a while ago and didn't really know what to make of it. I don't want to dismiss it but it's so vague it's hard to go on, so I've kept an eye out for anything else about it and have never seen anything :shrug: I mean if he's a lovely serial cheater that sucks but I genuinely can't work out what the claim of emotional abuse is referring to. What did he do?

The legal threats are probably the most troubling and weird part of the whole thing even if the rest isn't true. I dunno.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Sampatrick posted:

China Mieville has a PhD in International Relations from the London School of Economics, specifically focused on Marxism and International Law. I get that he has written a lot of fiction, but it's absurd to pretend like he isn't an expert when it comes to Marxism.

Have a scan of Cardiac's posts ITT, he's really not a fan of the leftism lol

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Oasx posted:

As much as I love Bas-Lag and want more of it, I just want him to do more longer fiction. His short stories and novellas have been mediocre to decent.
yeah I've enjoyed a lot of his short work, This Census-Taker was great, but he hasn't written a novel in years and I want something meaty again.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

toot toot

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Quandary posted:

What did people think of Three Moments of an Explosion? I've read a number of the stories and it seems like most have a really fascinating premise, but kinda fizzle out without much closure or attempt at an ending. I guess that's by design?
I liked it a lot, there are some really great stories in there. There are definitely a few that need more fleshing out to work - in general I like his approach of weird mystery, but there are some that fall into an uncomfortable place where they just... stop. The one about people having to stay inside a circle or whatever it was is a good example, just didn't work

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

FPyat posted:

A guy I know thought Iron Council was Trotskyist propaganda. I guess I can see it as a literalized Permanent Revolution.
I mean... it's both, yeah. The ending is on the nose even for Mieville lmao

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

a foolish pianist posted:

I think it's more like now he has enough dollars that he can afford to work on only stuff he finds really interesting.
I mean, he wasn't exactly writing surefire hit mainstream stuff even when he was sticking to fiction novels. I get the impression his interests have just moved on.

October was good but it was hardly a deep analysis that will stay with us for the ages so I'm wondering where he's going with his upcoming stuff, we'll see I guess

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Tosk posted:

I found myself wondering what had happened to China Mieville not long ago, and found a rather unpleasant answer: scroll down to Sablefool's comment that begins with 'Whilst we do not live in...'

I read through the last 2-3 pages and it hasn't been mentioned, so the claim put forth on that reddit thread is that CM was accused of untoward behavior similar to what has been attributed to Warren Ellis, but has thoroughly scrubbed a lot of it from the Internet. It's suggested that his low profile could be related to that situation.

Pretty disappointing if true. He has a notice on his personal site about being stalked which is probably a response to what I've mentioned, so I have no idea really.

It has come up here in the past (the original blog post from 2012, not the reddit recap).

It's difficult to really establish what happened in any concrete detail - could just have been a nasty breakup, maybe he's just a lovely boyfriend, could have been a genuine abuse situation. Sablefool (whose writing here is broadly insufferable lol) compares him to Ellis but there's no real specificity as to what he actually did - it does sound like there's a similarity in that it's about gaslighting and power imbalance but I'm not sure we have enough to really compare him to how serious the issues were with Ellis?

Not that we need every gory detail and I don't want to downplay it, but I don't really know what to take from what we do have.

It does seem fairly clear that part of the reason it's all so vague is that he made legal threats which is undeniably lovely and that alone makes it hard to trust him.

It's the first time I've seen his low profile connected to the situation and I think that's a reach to be honest; he's pretty successfully cracked down on the whole thing and it was 10 years ago, he went quiet much more recently than that.

e: yeah it was a good few years ago we discussed it: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=2994531&pagenumber=61&perpage=40#post485568937

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I always thought City and the City was the least interesting of his books because that's just what Glasgow/Belfast are like irl

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Poldarn posted:

It's been a while since I read this one but I think the twist is that there are no supernatural aspects, it's just people lying to themselves.

I recall tourists had to do a period of conditioning themselves before they were allowed in.
Yes I explicitly just said it was Glasgow

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

FPyat posted:

I'd call that the opposite of the truth. People need to stake out what exactly their terms are when there is no wide consensus about it (after all, people can't even settle whether Star Wars is SF); rather, it is when there is wide agreement that there is no need to get into the convoluted specifics. If you want your own view of its meaning to be immaterial, then you don't have much cause to declare it bonkers to adopt one of the other definitions in the contested social discourse that decides what science fiction is.

Everything you post is making me want to find a lost genie and get three wishes and use every one of them to go back in time and bully you more in high school

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I picture them like... my mother in law!! :D :D :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Figured we were getting something like this.