Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

It's there, especially in Iron Council. I don't know why people bitch about it, especially given the setting. It's clearly based on the late 1800s, with both the rear end in a top hat industrialists and the anarchists/communists taken to larger-than-life extremes. Not being able to handle a book written by an author who has views you don't agree with strikes me as bizarre too, but whatever.

I was a little jarred by it at the beginning, but then I thought about how many sf/f books are implicitly or explicitly on the other side of the political spectrum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

nosleep posted:

There was also dwarf rape and dwarf pedophelia/torture/masturbation in a book called "Trial of Flowers" by Jay Lake which interestingly I bought because I wanted something in the same ballpark as Bas-Lag novels. It was set in a city with a cool name (The City Imperishable) and seemed to have cool main characters.

...dwarf rape.... Don't ever ever read this book. It was loving awful.

That was an ok book except for the worst of the dwarf parts. Avoid the sequel though.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Hedrigall posted:

But it really really reminds me of the supposed spacecraft in ancient Hindu carvings like this:

Does anyone agree?

No, because I think that's Mayan art.