Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Ceramic Shot posted:

Hey man, I've actually ghoulishly pored over the man's diaries and read what I think are all of his published short works. Just asking if there was a connection to one particular pair of works!

And speaking of, I wonder if Mieville will ever publish another short works anthology. He seems to have settled into Weird/Historical Fiction novels in large part.

It's all good. I just always think of that episode and Andy's doucheness and the Kafka jokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

absolutely, there's also terrible Gaiman

The myth interludes in American Gods are great (speaking of mediocre, the new show is out soon). He's just better at shorter, contained ideas.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

Death of the author tho!?!

I often find myself asking, What Would China Write.

And it's usually some kind of Wolverine storyline/screed against the existential ubermensch that Wolverine usually gets portrayed as. Or something. Dial H kind of rules.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

rumble in the bunghole posted:

I got into mieville after a couple of stem nerd friends got assigned it in a lit class and sold me on it by really poorly complaining about how they couldn't understand it.

Ahahaha, the best recommendation. TC&TC? Or Embassytown?

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

October has one too

:trotsky:

Too soon.

I laughed

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

Yeah, I got that too. China has a love/hate thing with DnD. Most apparent in the Bas-Lag books, of course.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

Dirty Frank posted:

women with bowl cuts :colbert:

Don't kinkshame this man.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

Cardiac posted:

Eh, black t-shirt is an obvious hallmark for a trendy nerd.

Neil Gaiman circa the mid-90s posted:

...seeing that the greater part of my wardrobe is black [It's a sensible colour. It goes with anything. Well, anything black.]

But we all know that they're all probably just aping one of the Beatles or something.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

Oh my young lad, that phrase will bring an instant mental picture to anyone over 25:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=90s+...bih=966#imgrc=_

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

I think he was trying to make some point about Deus Ex Machinae, but it got lost. PSS is a solid book that falters in places.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

chimi changa posted:

That was the only thing that really bothered me in the story, what other parts are generally regarded as faltering?

That's mostly it. The bits that seem like they're supposed to be RPG homage don't really hit often, either (except for the dipshit adventurers, but ymmv depending on the groups you played with). And some ideas don't really breathe, another page or two about the handlingers or construct would be okay, or just cut some of the scenery. Imo.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

Bilirubin posted:

some bad cockney-like dialogue.

This was most definitely on purpose, since China itself is a cockney slang word.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

Dienes posted:

I know enough open relationship/poly people for this drama to be tale as old as time.

Doubly so for people that enjoy power exchange in that sort of setup. Some people use all that as an excuse or cover for poo poo behaviour, though.
Point being, talk with everyone involved, constantly, about what is going on and expectations.

*the more you know*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

Drone Jett posted:

Dude, just get a penicillin shot.

If you don't want to engage, don't pretend to not be a shitposter.

quote:

Neither Marxism nor capitalism are really ideologies, HTH

True, and neither is diametrically opposed to the other. Both had their basis in thinking about what would be the best possible mode of production for the most people possible in society.