Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I just read Embassytown and holy poo poo it was pretty great.

I also like The City and The City so I'm pretty sure I'm gonna have to read everything else he wrote ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
King Rat is his worst and I still kind of liked it. After having read his other stuff it felt very much like a "I'm not sure what I'm doing lets start with a Pied Piper fanfic.

So far I like the Scar better than PSS and I kind of loved Embassytown and TC&tC

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jul 23, 2013

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
That book was weird as poo poo and I really enjoyed it.

It was the second of his books I read, first being the City and the City so I really went in having no idea what it would be except possibly kind of odd.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I just started reading Kraken! It's got a lot of Neil Gaimen style elements of that vague urban fantasy atmosphere with so much of China's specific style of weirdness that I just love it all over. He should make a claymation movie of something.

I'm about 70% in and my absolute favorite bit is transporter guy haunted by his own ghosts. It's the most surprising and perfect thing I've ever seen.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Benson Cunningham posted:

I do like being one of the only three people here who liked Kraken. That novel was radical.

It was definitely neat. It had a lot of really funny and entertaining bits even if all the characters could have neatly fit into Gaimen's "Neverwhere" mythology.

I'll never stop loving the teleporter haunted by ghosts of himself it's one of the more brilliant idea's I've ever seen.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

It kind of grew on me. I realized I actually liked all the pronounced political stuff, especially the themes of imperialism and the subjugation of the natives. Especially when the natives are as mysterious and strange as the Stiltspear.
Another thing that really works for me is the entire western style vibe surrounding the Council itself.
Mieville's writing also feels more mature than in PSS. The whole underground political scene of New Crobuzon is also very interesting to me.
And finally, it has the best ending of the three books.
I still think Scar has very strong elements, but is failed by some of the over exaggerated characters such as Uther Doul and the Lovers and, ultimately, sunk (lol) by its weak ending.

Colonialism sucks, full communism now.

I wonder how communism plays out in the Craft setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Stargate and Magic Portals To Elfland are the same genre, whatever you call it.