Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Pompous Rhombus posted:

You probably won't like anything by Mieville then, he writes pretty much transparent protagonists for the narrative to focus around, rather than flesh-and-blood people you can actually relate to. Iron Council might be an exception to this but it's been a long time since I've read it.

Yea, i really get this vibe from TC&TC, which is the first novel I've read of his. I'm more than halfway through and I've learned to let go of the detective who the story revolves around because China dosen't seem to care about enriching him at all, just the world around him. I absolutely love the hook in this book and while he has to kind of write his way out of silly problems caused by it, it leaves an impression of magnified suspension of disbelief that just goes with the world very well.

Question though, are all his books so sparse in prose? I've gotten a sense it's his imagination thats won him some praise, but the story telling is rather straight forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU