Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Hedrigall posted:

IIRC, Tanner Sack mentions buying drinks for Sprial Jacobs back in New Crobuzon. Can't remember what part of the book.

Tauros, the leader of the rebellion in Iron Council, is mentioned in passing (not by name of course ;) ) in Perdido as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Hedrigall posted:

:siren: :siren: :siren: NEW BOOK ALERT :siren: :siren: :siren:

Railsea, to be published May 8th 2012 in the US.

Gotta give the man credit, he picks evocative titles.

So excited.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Is it a major spoiler? Would you mind spoiling it for us? Because that minor stylistic choice is almost making me give up on the book.

I don't think it's a major spoiler.

You'll notice there are fourth wall breaking chapters where the narrator talks about the world. Early in the book, these segments flesh out the world and are kinda cool.

Then the "&" one comes up. They use "&" in place of "and" because it connects things but also loops back on itself...like the Railsea itself...ohhhhhhhhh! :smug:

I think its kinda dumb, and got why he was doing with it early on. The aside to explain why he was doing it was really really dumb (Give your readers some credit, Mr.Mieville) but I got past it. Its a stylistic choice, that from where I am in the book (The 70% mark), seems to have no bearing on the plot whatsoever.

I can totally understand why someone would find it annoying, though.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 26, 2012

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Prop Wash posted:

I'm a little sad that so many people dislike Looking for Jake. I'm willing to acknowledge that it isn't much like his later novels, but there's just something satisfying about horror and ghost stories done so well.

People dislike Looking for Jake? I loved Mieville's short stories! Probably why I'm so excited about the rumors of another short story collection next/this (?) year.

EDIT: The only story I didn't like was the one about the guy who edited the SNES/N64 cartridge and it was LIFECHANGING (ugh).

The Christmas story was just cute. :3:

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Hedrigall posted:

This Census Taker jacket copy:

For readers of George Saunders, Kelly Link, and Karen Russell, This Census Taker is the poignant and uncanny new novella from award-winning and bestselling author China Miéville. After witnessing a profoundly traumatic event, a boy is left alone in a remote house on a hilltop with his increasingly deranged parent. When a stranger knocks on his door, the boy senses that his days of isolation are over—but by what authority does this man keep the meticulous records he carries? Is he the boy’s friend? His enemy? Or something altogether other?

Hmm...sounds very Roald Dahl esque.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Doesn't look like there's a TVIV thread for it, but refresh my memory with "The City and the City".

spoilers for the show...The wife storyline, artifact smuggling and evil AmeriCorp, those were entirely show creations right? Am I recalling correctly that the book twist was that:

1. Breach isn't some otherworldly force, but they do have some weird future-guns/tech.
2. There's no magic, people are just trained to not see the 2 cities and Breach just walks differently in a way that both cities don't see them.
3. Orsiney isn't real and the author murders the girl because she was going to spill that it isn't real and ruin him.

Right?

The whole series was pretty good, they could have done more to make Breach otherworldly, rather that just spoiling in the first episode that they're people in suits.

Also, not sure I was a fan of the new storyline with the American corporation that just sort of puttered out.

The one line that really bugged me was the whole thing where the Cities have to be kept separate because they "hate" each other (not really a spoiler, its in the first episode), but I suppose for TV you can't just leave the reason for the two cities being separate vague and mysterious like the book.