Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind
The City and The City has a very strange beginning. To me it's as if Mieville wanted to distance himself not only from writing fantasy, but his writing style in general. What we get here reminds me very much of Kafka's The Castle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

nixar55 posted:

Yeah, those are the cities. I'll post actual dates once I get them from his publicist, hopefully next week, but I already know he'll be in NYC June 1st. It's a ticketed event sponsored by WORD bookstore.

http://www.wordbrooklyn.com/event/china-mieville

Tickets are $25, but you get a copy of Embassytown included, signing to follow. Kind of odd to have a reading at a club, but Mieville's a rock star, so it fits.

Hedrigall- I'm jealous of your ARC! Del Rey's is really plain with just the logo on the front. So I'm probably going to end up getting the UK edition anyway because the cover is superior to the American one. I love my U.K. first edition of Kraken.

ETA: If you've never seen him read, you really should. I've been to every NY reading since PSS and he's just extremely charming and funny and so well-spoken. He takes all of the questions about Bas-Lag in stride, even though he gets asked the same ones every drat tour. He just seems really appreciative of his fans. I've been in publishing a long time and know who has a bad reputation. No one has ever, ever had a single bad thing to say about him. It's pretty astounding.

Thanks for the heads-up on this. I might try to check this out if I can make it out of work and run up to Brooklyn in time.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

Just to take the conversation back to Kraken for a second, I'm abut 90 pages away from the end and I see myself giving this book a poor review. For a book that is supposed to Mieville's "fun" novel, boy what a slog it's been. It barely has a plot. At the point when they retrieve the stolen giant squid, there isn't even any tension going on, other than "oooh the end of the world by fire is coming and we don't know why." Billy, who I suppose is a protagonist, is so utterly boring, and the "occult police" characters are a waste of time.

Meh, very disappointed. I almost gave up on this book but I decided I was too far in...and I'm regretting it.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

Paragon8 posted:

I liked the promise of Kraken much more than the actual content. Would have loved a different novel set in that London with a different protagonist.

Agreed. The setting is very interesting, it's just the characters are completely shallow and boring.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

Mrs. Badcrumble posted:

Christ, it'll be a crime if ADWD beats Embassytown.

Neither book should win. Embassytown was atrocious and didn't deserve to be nominated, in my opinion. ADWD suffered from bloat and a weak ending but was still a good read, but Embassytown is a total mess.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

AcidCat posted:

Well, I just finished Embassytown and really liked it.

That was his third strike for me. I found TC&TC to be propped up on an annoying and flimsy narrative gimmick; Kraken was Mieville channeling Gaiman to terrible effect; and Embassytown was a decent idea that went completely off the rails and then wallowed in its own poo poo for about 200 pages. Normally I wouldn't have bothered to read three mediocre-to-terrible books by the same author, but such was the equity Mieville built with his Bas Lag books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

BigSkillet posted:

That's really reminiscent of Zdzislaw Beksinski's work, who seems to be a regular feature in the PYF creepy pictures thread, and often has elements of... I guess "discomforting citiness" in his paintings. Definitely an appropriate artist to borrow cues from:

Sad trivia: Beksinski was stabbed to death in his Warsaw apartment at age 75 by the young son of his longtime caretaker. Apparently he had refused to loan the youth a few hundred zloty (about $100). This is about 15 years after his son killed himself.