Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

vty posted:

Does Scar take awhile to get going? I'm around 15%(kindle) into it She's at the lovers.. just found out the Johannes guy works for them; and really find it...boring so far. I do like Chinas writing, though. Just not finding much of an interesting story to grab onto.

It's also my first CM book; should I have done them in a different order?

Contrary to the majority opinion here I prefer Perdido Street Station to The Scar, it's also the first book in the series and I'd have started there. There isn't a lot of a crossover though so it shouldn't prevent you from enjoying it.

Like the rest of the Bas Lag novels the first act is kind of slow, serving just to set up the characters and stage, it does pay off though because when things get really hectic latter on you feel you are right there watching poo poo hit the fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Iacen posted:

I'm planning on getting either The Kraken or The city and The City.
Compared to Iron Council, how was City?

I'd give Iron Council another go if I were you. While I'd rank it last in the series it does become much more interesting as it goes on and you get to know New Crobuzon (my favorite "character") a bit more.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Exactly, the book takes a dramatic change of pace and style shortly after the introduction of the grub, stick with it a little longer.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Captain_Indigo posted:

Oh I remember I was going to ask if anyone could explain a little bit about the Crisis Engine from PSS.

Because, to me, it seemed like the whole thing was a little bit like when people use the term irony wrong. No actually, more like when people describe something as a paradox and it isn't. I figure that China is far cleverer than me and I'm just missing the point, but the scene near the end where they hook up the old dude to the Council and the weaver with the helmets. Apparently this unlocks presumably unlimited energy because the weaver and the council make up two different parts of the psyche which the old dude has, but also it....doesn't. And the crisis engine flips out because something is untrue and true at the same time?

Like I said, it's probably me missing the point, or is that right? It just seems a little cheap for Mieville who was very good at all that sort of thing through the rest of the book.

I think you're mixing up two distinct things here. On one hand you have the crisis engine, which in this instance is being used as an amplifier, but could be used to power anything, like flight for Yag. The science behind it is bogus of course but it is essentially a perpetual motion machine. Whatever you do to increase "crisis" (think of it as potential energy), like lifting a rock for example, will be used as "fuel" by the engine to generate even more crisis, lifting the rock even higher for example.

The signal, which is what is being amplified in this instance is a composite of 3 things:
- the brain pattern of the CC, which is pure rationality
- the brain pattern of the Weaver, which is pure irrationality
- the brain pattern of the old man which is used as a schema to combine the previous two into a human like pattern that will taste like Kobe beef to the moths

When the moths try to feed on the signal they get blown up because despite tasting irresistibly it doesn't satiate them, there's no real substance there just flavor, so they just keep lapping it up until they croak.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Hedrigall posted:

Let's sperg about Bas-Lag books to come :3:

I want him to write more exploration/adventure books in Rohagi and beyond, similar to the Cutter chapters of first half of Iron Council. I want to read more about the deserts and the mountains. I want to know more about Nova Esperium. I want to read a novel set in Bas-Lag's past, and one set hundreds of years after PSS/Scar/IC. I want him to do short stories featuring characters from previous books. I want him to do an atlas/bestiary/compendium of Bas-Lag.

In the same vein, what did the Khepri flee from? :ohdear:
Though I fear this is one of those circumstances where the less you know the more interesting it is I hate being tantalized.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Things come spiraling down into poo poo soon after the grub is introduced 1/3 into the book. It worked for me at least because New Crobuzon became my favorite "character" in his books.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Agnostic watermelon posted:

The Perdido Street Station ending was a loving downer. almost all of Issac's friends die horribly, the ones that aren't are being chased by a drug lord, Issac's sweet rear end crisis engine is broken, yag's a rapist, and Lin is retarded

True, but I loved the fact that when it seemed that Yag was going to kill himself when he realized that even what he did was not enough to earn redemption, and that even the people he sacrificed for deserted him because of what he did, he instead decided to embrace New Crobuzon.
The motto for New Crobuzon might as well be "give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore... that I might grind them all into the decadent and wretched mass of depravity that roams my streets."

All shall love her and despair. :black101:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Has anyone read "The Tain"? I don't think I've seen it mentioned in the thread yet.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

pkd3001 posted:

I love Sci-fi, with (Philip K. Dick being my favorite author), but to be honest I read Mieville's "Perdido Street Station,"or at least the first 50 pages and did not like it at all. Maybe I should try and "King Rat," first for my first book from Mieville? I love wierd sci-fi like PKD and his later stuff, but for some reason I was not into "Perdido Street Station." Maybe I would enjoy his other stuff more.

PSS does a complete 180 after page 90 or so. The first act is exclusively to set up the stage for the action and in fact I think the fact he takes such a long time to describe the place where the action takes place is why I love his books so much.
My favorite Mieville "character" remains New Crobuzon itself.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Hedrigall posted:

:siren: :siren: :siren: NEW BOOK ALERT :siren: :siren: :siren:

Railsea, to be published May 8th 2012 in the US.

Calling it now, Armada goes up the Gross Tar, releases the Iron Council and they join forces to bring the great proletarian revolution to Bered Kai Nev. :pirate:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

fookolt posted:

Hah, I just finished Iron Council and I also really liked the ending!

What should I start next?

I'd go Embassytown and then TC&TC. Didn't actively hate Kraken as most people seem to but it certainly didn't engross me as hard as Embassytown, the Bas Lag series or even TC&TC.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Wait, but isn't New Crobuzon almost two thousand years old and the center of an empire?! They aren't the sole superpower and might or might not be the most powerful state in the world but more than anyone else they are global players.
I never felt like it was a London simile though, from what I've read about Pittsburgh it does seem more appropriate.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, for me Embassytown was the book that gave the closest feeling to what I felt when I was reading Perdido Street Station. I agree that while PSS is on my top 10 books it would be better if it was shorter by 20%/25%. However I felt the exact opposite with Embassytown, I wish it was 20%/25% longer. I felt there was still a lot of meat on those bones, if I had my fill it would probably have topped PSS.
Since I doubt we'll have a "sequel" a la The Scar I just wish he had showed us a bit more.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Hedrigall posted:

He has said in interviews that Embassytown may one day be just the first book in an "Immerverse" series.

Edit: as recently as last month! http://sfmag.hu/2013/04/30/china-mieville-interview/

Link is dead. Still, holy poo poo! :awesome:

e: Never mind, got the cached version.

China Miéville posted:

Who doesn’t love the sea? It is both literarily and ‘in real life’ fascinating. Though I prefer under the sea to on the top of it.
I got to say, I'd love to see China Mieville do a Rapture/underwater_city capitalist clusterfuck scenario.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 17, 2013

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Revelation Space didn't do much for me appart from the prequel "The Prefect" which I liked. House of Suns is a very interesting take on space travel, Terminal World I also liked (for me it was the "Mievillest" of the lot).
Pushing Ice and Century Rain were kind of meh.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I'd love to read something taking place in the days before the Ravening but that's probably better left unexplored so I'd settle for something in the Immerverse.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
You'll probably enjoy Embassytown a lot then.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I'm thinking about picking up Mieville because I'm increasingly exhausted with gibbering right-wingers taking up all the space on the SF&F shelf. I'm looking at you Baen publishing. Should I start with Perdido Street Station?

While I think Embassytown is Miéville's best book I just loving love New Crobuzon. Go ahead with Perdido Street Station and if you enjoy it do the rest of Bas Lag.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 14, 2014

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

amuayse posted:

Eh, I didn't like Yag's ending since it seemed so out of the blue and ridiculously vindictive on the whole Garudan culture.

By comparison not really, they took away his ability to fly, if he had been human the New Crobuzon authorities would at the very least take away his ability to walk (imprisonment) or more likely remade him and sentenced him to life in slavery.

The point was that it wasn't up to Isaac to forgive Yag and reverse a sentence for a terrible crime committed against someone else just because Yag had become his friend in the meanwhile. If he had simply seen a paper stating why Yag had been convicted he probably could have rationalized it away but to have the victim there pleading with him in person not to allow Yag to simply escape the punishment for what he had done really drove it home, especially after what happened to Lin.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Aug 18, 2014

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Slo-Tek posted:

The thing I liked about Yag's whole arc is that he was, and remains a very bad garuda. However, he is a pretty good dissident human. Being too abstract, and choice thieving fits in just fine in NC.

Yeah, that's why I loved the ending. Yag, facing the realization that he would never again be able to be a true garuda embraced the alternative and became just another "human" freak in a city full of monstrosities and redirected his energy into doing something good for the oppressed.

When he lost the last possibility to recover what was taken from him he finally began working on the expiation for what he had done.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Aug 18, 2014

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

amuayse posted:

I kinda felt that the exposition Garuda seemed awfully terse and not very convincing considering what happens next. Yes, the crime was horrible but Yag saved Isaac's life multiple times and saved Lin from being completely gone, not to mention the whole journey Yag had to make beforehand so it just seemed rather weird that all got undone with a 1 minute conversation on Isaac's doorstep.

That was the point I think, none of that matters because Yag hurt a real person, no abstraction :v:, and Isaac does not have the right to forgive crimes that weren't committed against him regardless of how much good Yag did to him personally.
You're rooting for Yag the whole time, they go through so much together. At first glance my visceral reaction was "poo poo, this dude saved his live and the live of his girlfriend gently caress it". But where does it leave the victim? Wouldn't Isaac be further victimizing her if he healed Yag and she saw him just walk away from punishment?

Apart from her alien-ness and the weird way in which she expresses what he did to her she is still a living person making a case for not freeing her rapist from "jail" just because he was a totally cool guy to Isaac. The argument could be made that he earned his forgiveness but he didn't earn it from her.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Karnegal posted:

I just finished The Scar via audiobook and found myself a bit underwhelmed. It felt a bit plodding, and I wasn't a huge fan of any of the main characters.

That said, I really liked Perdido Street Station and I'l like to read or listen to another one of his books. Any advice on which direction to go? Should I just do the Iron Council or move onto something more recent and not Bas-Lag?

Embassytown, no question.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
If it's the one by John Lee he does a great job bringing it to life.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Xiahou Dun posted:

A thing to keep in mind about a lot of his writing, especially Perdido since it was one of his first and is so weird, is that he likes to front-load exposition so once the plot gets going, it can really get going. So, often, people will feel it kind of plodding along in the beginning, they read in dribs and drabs, and then the plot starts moving and they have to marathon the book and can't put it down. (Sample size of me and a dozen or so people I've gotten hooked.)

This. I'm not gonna lie, as Hedrigall said New Crobuzon is the main character of PSS and that is what makes it my favorite Mieville book, New Crobuzon is just the greatest fictional city I've read but the book's pace and tone does take an unexpected turn about 1/3rd in, by the time Isaac is doing experiments and [very minor spoiler]gets a box with a caterpillar in it. From there on out it's a roller coaster of :catstare: and :catdrugs:.

e: oh never mind, you've already got through that, maybe Mieville just isn't for you. If you loathed PSS that much I doubt you'll like IC but I'd still give Embassytown a go, he doesn't "characterize the setting" nearly as much. No proletarian revolution though, just an anti-colonial one and it's a minor plot point.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 11:02 on May 29, 2015

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Now this sounds great.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Skelicopter posted:

You wait 4 years for a new Mieville book and then three turn up at once.

Three?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

3 Moments of an Explosion, Census Taker (technically a novella but still counts), Last Days of New Paris

Ah yes, forgot about Census Taker.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Xiahou Dun posted:

I don't really get them but I have a strong reaction and I seriously wonder if that might not be the point. (Also a pretty strong fear/suspicion that I should get a joke but I don't so I feel vaguely embarrassed.

So David Lynch in book form?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
It's the original "you had one job!"

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

anilEhilated posted:

It's made pretty clear that the revolution would be crushed with or without the Council which got the entire army/militia waiting for it; it's either remove it entirely or watch them all get shot. This way, he's preserving hope.
Anyway I'm aware of authorial intent but insist on being able to interpret independently of it.

No doubt the revolution would be crushed, the question is if they were willing to die did Judah have the right to prevent them from doing it? I think I'm inclined to agree with Judah on this, their death now would serve no purpose and this way they'll be a daily reminder to the people of New Crobuzon that they aren't alone, that others all around them hate the government even if they have to keep their heads down for now. The revolution lives still.
A revolution must be about what is most effective, not bourgeois notions of romantic sacrifice. :ussr:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Stinky_Pete posted:

Hi, uh, I just started listening to Perdido Street Station, read by an Englishman who sounds like he's in a "chamber" wearing a suit with something red and poofy between his lapels. Loving it so far. Didn't expect him to start going on about Isaac's cock in my office's parking lot :cheeky:

So the people whose females have bugs for heads and the males are just bugs, that's exactly a race in Dungeons in Dragons. Did they get that from him?

John Lee does an amazing job.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Mordja posted:

Anyway, next up is The City & the City which I'm excited to get into, despite knowing the big twist.

I don't think that will take away from your enjoyment very much, it's only a twist in the sense that you're expecting there to be some typical CM weirdness going on and it turns out that it's just the fruit of good old totalitarian craziness. It's also addressed halfway through the book, it's no "The Sixth Sense" reveal that changes your perspective on everything.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Embassytown

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Tree Bucket posted:

I get the feeling he is simply making his own genre: Confused Person Wanders Around Weird City in the Company of Someone Who Is Slightly Less Confused, And The True Enemy is Capitalism.

Not that there's anything wrong with that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, This Census Taker is a bad start. I'd recommend Embassytown or PSS.