Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Finished Perdido Street Station last night, my first Mieville book. I'm definitely now a fan, even though I wasn't completely in love with the book. I think the beginning is strong and really pulls you into this world and these characters, and then it gradually loses some magic as it degenerates into a Unlikely Heroes vs. Unstoppable Monsters tale. The storytelling felt a little sloppy to me, with too many loose ends, leaps of faith, and characters that existed only to move the plot - I'm looking at you Weaver, a blatant Deus Ex Machina to let our heroes escape impossible situations.

I enjoyed Mieville's writing style and moods he was able to produce more than the actual story of the book. It was a unique read, I really enjoy reading a book that doesn't feel like something I've read ten times before. I'll be picking up The Scar next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Finished The Scar this weekend and enjoyed it more than PSS - I appreciated the more focused narrative and IMO better main and supporting characters.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Finally picked up The City & The City - only 40-some pages into it but really digging it so far. Feels very different from PSS and The Scar, but I like that it is still prose that demands your full attention.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Well, I just finished Embassytown and really liked it.