Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Junkenstein posted:

I just want to see a video of a scene set in a heavily 'crossed' (can't remember the term used) part of the city.

The term you're looking for is Breach!

I live in Chicago and got a flyer for this a month or so ago in the mail and immediately went "Holy poo poo!" I'll see if I can get to it (should be able to since it runs a month & a half) and give you all a trip report.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Terraplane posted:

Crosshatched! :eng101: It's not Breach until somebody screws up.

:doh: You are correct, sir. I would probably do well to re-read this book before I see the play, since it's been several years!

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Personally I would read a whole book of "Tanner Sack's adventures under the sea."

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Didn't Bastard John die in the battle with the New Crobuzon navy?

I don't believe so. It's been a while since I read it but I remember there being distinct passages about Bastard John getting more and more antsy the further Armada went into the Hidden Ocean. I think Hedrigall (the one from the other dimension) specifically recalls Bastard John either going over the edge of the Scar or somehow being able to swim fast enough to escape when the city topples into it.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

The Scar is my favorite Bas-Lag but I concede that's probably because I love the ocean and Mieville perfectly illustrates the frightening vastness of swimming with nothing below your feet for miles.

Also Armada is awesome as a setting in general.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Hedrigall posted:

How about Bellis on the German covers for The Scar:

Dial H issue 2 review, by the way.

The one on the left is actually not far removed from how I envisioned her. The one on the right though...what the hell?

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

saladin posted:

I've been re-reading The City and The City and I'm getting my head turned around.

On my first read, I came to the conclusion that there was something 'mystical' with the two cities, or maybe quantum theory-esque about the separation. I thought that the total and alter areas were superimposed on each other, and that crosshatched areas were kind of dreamlike. Reviews I've read from pretty big sources also seem to think this -saying that people from the other city appear hazy to each other.

However, on this read through, I've formed the opinion that the two cities are both in the same reality, and that without the entirely human and psychological conditioning, the two would be completely visible to each other. The areas that are total are basically just "neighbourhoods people like us don't go to" in the real world. I grew up in Belfast during the Troubles and this strikes me pretty soundly. The peace walls, the separate communities with their own traditions, colours and foods, the sides of Belfast very much seem like the cities in the book.

Is there something late-book that changes this and explains my confusion in my previous reading/the critics' readings? This seems a fairly critical thing to have misunderstood the first time round...

Yeah, your second thought is correct. There's nothing particularly "magical" about Beszel and Ul Qoma, they are the same city but also different cities existing on the same ground. The other city may appear "hazy" to citizens in one city, but that's a purely psychological thing rather than an actual physical manifestation.

Borlu even physically sees a woman across the city lines in the very first chapter, for example, and forces himself to erase her from his memory.

Beige posted:

Is there anything supernatural in the book? I honestly can't remember.

No, and in fact it specifically goes against that by having the mythical city of Orciny be exactly that: a myth.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 13, 2015

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

yesssssss :neckbeard:

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Something about PSS that still kinda bugs me (ending spoilers): Jack Half-a-Prayer seems to come out of nowhere to save the day and feels very deus-ex machina-y. The very first time I read it, my brain was going, "Wait, who? Who is this guy?" I saw on a second read that he's mentioned once or twice elsewhere, but even then his appearance seems super convenient and cheap to me. Maybe I missed some intricate detail that better explains that?

It's really my only complaint with the book, though. I love it otherwise.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Benson Cunningham posted:

I've seen that same complaint a number of times, yet no one complains when the Weaver shows up out of nowhere and starts collecting ears. I just accept both and love PSS.

The Weaver doesn't so much bother me though because there's a bunch of scenes with it before hand and its established early on that coming out of the fabric of space-time to randomly gently caress poo poo up is just something it does.

loving love the Weaver me

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

loving hell, CM owns

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Skelicopter posted:

You wait 4 years for a new Mieville book and then three turn up at once.

The struggle is real.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

3 Moments of an Explosion, Census Taker (technically a novella but still counts), Last Days of New Paris

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

NicelyNice posted:

I'm enjoying these stories quite a bit for the atmosphere, but I wish they came with an encyclopedia attached - I'm never sure whether the vagueness present in the stories is because of ~new weird~ reasons or because I'm not smart/cultured enough, which nags at me sometimes. Most of the time I imagine it's probably a combination of the two, but I never would have deciphered the latter half of the 9th Technique, a story I still enjoyed on my first read through, without the help of this thread.

Whoa man, watch out--this thread isn't a safe place to admit you're not cultured or knowledgeable about certain things, if the last page is anything to go by.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

I mean, it's certainly fantastical in the sense that Beszel/Ul Qoma 100% don't exist in real life. Other than that, though, you could definitely say it's very much based in reality.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Clark Nova posted:

The overwatch or whatever the hell they were called had sci-fi guns and there were vague hints that the whole thing was caused by some breakdown in reality centuries ago, but that’s about it.

Breach.

Also iirc wasn't the reality breakdown/Orciny portion of the mythos proved to be literally that--myth--by the end of the book? It's been a while since I read it so I could be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Personally, I tend classify alternate Earth in a modern timeline stories like TC&TC as Fantasy, but I can see it both ways and ultimately it probably doesn’t matter.

Also, I checked the ISBN classification in my copy of TC&TC for fun and it’s literally just 1. Murder - Investigation - Fiction, which to me seems to kinda bury the lede a bit lol