Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I'm halfway through The Scar and I'm really enjoying it but something about the way Uther Doul is presented grates on me. I'm just not a fan of the mysterious swordsman with a magical sword and a monk's temperament. It's like the one thing that keeps me from enjoying the book totally. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Benson Cunningham posted:

If you don't like Uther Doul you can gently caress right off. High Cromlech would be the best place to read a book about ever.

I don't know, I finished The Scar a few days ago and I'm still not completely sold on Uther Doul. Thinking back, it makes sense why he did what he did but the payoff felt sort of anti-climatic. In fact, the entire novel felt like an excellent bit of world-building and character vignettes (Tanner Sack wound up becoming my favorite dude), but the titular Scar never really amounted to anything. I don't want to call it a MacGuffin but it left me a bit cold. Especially with all of the really neat things you hear about the Ghosthead Empire.

Is Mieville really done with Bas-Lag or is he taking an extended break from it?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Hedrigall posted:

Russia's new cover art for The Scar may be the coolest book cover for any Miéville work:

I have the Kindle version of The Scar but I'm totally gonna see if I can change the cover of it to that. That picture rules.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

thehomemaster posted:

The Weaver appearing in IC was pretty neat-o.

The Weaver showing up in IC is one of the few times I've gone "oh poo poo" out loud while reading a book.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Hard Clumping posted:

It's Embassytown. Read Embassytown next.

This. Embassytown is one of the few hardcovers I've bought in years. I love that book and I hope he revisits that universe soon.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

andrew smash posted:

Iron council is the best bas lag book.

:yeah:

Also, I think I'd rate The Scar higher on the list if (BIG SPOILERS) Uther Doul wasn't behind everything and also a perfect manipulator that came out of the rushed climax scot-free. That left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth but I still really enjoyed the story.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

People always talk about the puissance but never the pugnacity. It's a shame imo

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Sandwolf posted:

What’s the benefit of reading PSS before The Scar? And maybe vice versa?

PSS does a good job of introducing you to the major races and one of the most powerful nations in the world (That's currently in steep decline). Some of the characters in The Scar are mentioned first in PSS but that's not really anything big since they're loose affiliations. The main character of PSS was once in a long-term relationship with the main character of The Scar and in The Scar, several of the locations mentioned pop up in The Iron Council. If you appreciate seeing connections, it's worth reading them sequentially.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

I complained about it years ago but Uther Doul is probably Mieville's weakest character. #TeamBrucolac

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Give me a sequel to Embassytown or a book in Bas-Lag about the Ghosthead Empire, you coward.