Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

SaviourX posted:

Had me at "renegade squid-worshiper".

But I do hope it isn't couched in the stilted, byzantine prose of TC&TC. How can there be 100 pages left?!

Man, that had me at "giant squid". I need to catch up on me old China. I've only read Perdito Street Station, but I definitely need to catch up to THAT thing.

Edit: Having read the bit on his name I had to edit this post.

Shanty fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Oct 30, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Slo-Tek posted:

I suppose it is expected that everything be shadowy, darting, half-seen and multi-dimensional and unknowable whatnot. The grindylow are reasonably creepy, especially since you only get little vignettes between 100 pages of something else.

But when you just read the grindylow stuff back-to-back, it gets a little bit squick-libs. The grindylow have inexplicable...limb farms...and bile factories...and skin libraries. If the book had gone one another 200 pages he would have mentioned three additional [inexplicable][yucky][infrastructure]. Tumor Arenas, and Eyeball Quick-E-Marts.

China writes it so well, though, that for my money he could have thrown "Tumor arenas" in there and I would have been right loving with him.

Tumors! Fighting tumors!

Probably after a few readings I can see it getting stale, though, but as a lot of people in the thread have talked about, his mystic little hints really work on the first readthrough. Probably since you never know what he's going to expand into a major plot point. I mean Island of the Mosquito People! sounded like the biggest throwaway reference of them all but drat if it didn't become a huge pivot in the story.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Hedrigall posted:

:siren: TONS OF KRAKEN INFO :siren:

Well here is a fuckload of new information about Kraken courtesy of Amazon.com. The following may constitute minor spoilers:

It sounds just incredible. I can't wait!

If he pulls this off it'll be my favourite book of all time, but I can't help but feel that he's going a little TOO all out with the new weird stereotypes. "a branch of London’s finest that fights sorcery with sorcery" in particular sounds uncomfortably close to fanfiction territory.

On the other hand, he's never given me cause to doubt his capabilities with stuff like this so I'll be cautiously looking forward to reading it!

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I was seriously disappointed by pss. The 'amazing setting' was just some guy riffing on planescape and the writing and plot just struck me as amateurish and bad. I stopped about 2/3rds in. I mean, did he just really want to write in the planescape setting but change the names and make everything brown so that he could pretend to be a real author or what?

How the heck is it at all like planescape if there's only one plane? Isn't that the whole point of planescape?!