Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

queenoffarts.edu
Nov 11, 2005

I'm finding that the more books that China Mieville adds to his resume the more well-rounded he becomes as a writer.

After having finished The City & The City I think it's his most complete novel to date and it just sort of shows his natural progression.

I don't mean to say that he's an absolutely amazing author but if you look at Perdido Street Station, it had some holes and the ending was pretty weak, the Scar was great but I found the ending once again wasn't too hot, Iron Council (and I'm probably in the minority) I thought was his best but once again it sort of was flat at times. Where as with his newest I really can't find too many flaws with it, it's definitely not my favourite of his but everything is wrapped up neatly in the end, the characters aren't too cliched (which seems to be a tendency for a lot of authors when writing murder/mystery thrillers), and the story is interesting.

I liked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queenoffarts.edu
Nov 11, 2005

Pascallion posted:

I liked Scar the best. I enjoyed a lot of aspects of PSS and Iron Council, but IC in particular didn't gel with me.

His worldbuilding is definitely the best part of his books, especially the different races.

Also, maybe I'm dense but I never understood how the train in IC was supposed to move. My impression was everyone had to keep on laying track in front of the train, presumably picking it up from behind. How could the thing ever move faster than people (even FANTASY people) can pick up the track from behind and move it to the front? I very well could have completely missed an obvious piece of the book, but that wouldn't stop bugging me. Also it seems like the evil forces just needed to put a bunch of pennies on the existing rails to completely gently caress up everything.

I agree with you, there was definitely some stupid poo poo in Iron Council. To be fair though, it's a science fiction/fantasy book and you sort of have to toss aside the semantics for the duration and suspend your belief.

It's been awhile since I read it but I just assumed that they could regulate the speed of the train which allowed them to bring up the track from the back so that it didn't outrun them. As far as their return goes, when they reconnect to the existing line, I don't know what stopped New Crobuzon from just putting a big girder across the rail gauge. But hell, if they did, it would have been a pretty lame ending.