Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Casimir Radon posted:

How overt is it?

It's there, especially in Iron Council. I don't know why people bitch about it, especially given the setting. It's clearly based on the late 1800s, with both the rear end in a top hat industrialists and the anarchists/communists taken to larger-than-life extremes. Not being able to handle a book written by an author who has views you don't agree with strikes me as bizarre too, but whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Pascallion posted:

Also, maybe I'm dense but I never understood how the train in IC was supposed to move. My impression was everyone had to keep on laying track in front of the train, presumably picking it up from behind. How could the thing ever move faster than people (even FANTASY people) can pick up the track from behind and move it to the front?

I don't recall him ever saying anything about the train moving faster than the rail could be laid, I don't see how this is a problem.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Grand Prize Winner posted:

This may come out kinda hazy as I'm a little sleep deprived right now, but I'm certain Doul mentions some degree of difference between torque and whatever tech the Ghostead Empire used.

I agree. Torque seems like some sort of magical radiation. The sword is a play on quantum mechanics, as best as I could tell. It's everywhere at once until it actually strikes, different probabilities governing where it hits, all that. I don't think there's necessarily any connection to torque.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Perdido has two distinct halves, usually people like one or the other more. I didn't like the book at first either, but I stuck with it and am glad I did. You might want to keep reading and see if the second half grabs you. The other books don't have that problem.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I had to read Perdido for the science fiction course I took to fill one of my English requirements. That was a great class.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I've heard the "everything is brown" complaint about plenty of games, but this has to be the first time I've seen it about a book.

But I'll forgive that for blowing my mind, I never even noticed that New Crobuzon is Sigil. Mieville is a massive D&D nerd so I'm sure there's a connection.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

onefish posted:

Man, I wonder if the industrializing world presented in the three books so far would ever develop technology along the lines of our "modern" world. Electronics and computing?

I doubt that. The technology was developed a long time before the books, and people have largely forgotten how it works. Remember the weather control device in New Crobuzon, it's been broken for centuries and no one has a clue how it worked, let alone how to fix it.

Maybe the machines will advance by themselves, but everything else is decaying.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I found it refreshing to have some different politics, and given the setting, the whole communist revolutionary element fits perfectly. I don't understand the complaints at all.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It's been mentioned before in the thread, but the first and second halves of PSS are very, very different. The first half is slow world-building, the second half is much more of a fast-paced plot adventure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Only thing that throws me is having the incredibly distinctive Bank of China Tower in there with the sci-fi buildings.