Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

Onigami Nanashi posted:

I'm making a lemon bastard version of smittenkitchen's best birthday cake (http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2009/07/best-birthday-cake/) and I wanted to make the best sour cream frosting to go with it, but her version is a chocolate sour cream which I didn't want to do with a lemon cake.

I made this cake in May, and I loved the frosting Deb uses, it did actually have a sweet-sour taste. Her frosting recipe has 4x as much sour cream as the one you used, so that's probably the reason yours tasted mostly like sugar instead of sour cream. I haven't tested this idea, but could it be possible to just sub white chocolate chips in for the semi-sweet in Deb's recipe? Lemon + white chocolate seems like a good combination, not too overpowering. Good luck!

got some chores tonight fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
I made a basic yellow cake with a strawberry filling and chocolate icing a few weeks ago for my mother's birthday. Not a very exciting combination, but it turned out wonderfully. I don't have any pictures worth showing, though, because I am absolutely terrible at decorating cakes, and the finished cake was just a boring brown cylinder. Any suggestions on learning some basic decorating skills? There is a Michaels near me that has some cake decorating classes coming up, are those worth it at all?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
So what's the preference with regards to using Canola Oil versus using Butter?

I have heard canola oil makes things lighter and fluffier while butter makes things a little more dense. Is any of that true?

Nutritionally, they're both high calorie but not toxically unhealthy or anything, right?

Five Spice
Nov 20, 2007

By your powers combined...

Third Murderer posted:

I made a basic yellow cake with a strawberry filling and chocolate icing a few weeks ago for my mother's birthday. Not a very exciting combination, but it turned out wonderfully. I don't have any pictures worth showing, though, because I am absolutely terrible at decorating cakes, and the finished cake was just a boring brown cylinder. Any suggestions on learning some basic decorating skills? There is a Michaels near me that has some cake decorating classes coming up, are those worth it at all?

I took a cake decorating class at Michaels store once (6+ years ago) and it was basically one giant advertisement for WiltonŽ brand everything. I mean, I learned a couple of things, but honestly? I'd head to YouTube before I'd take one again.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Well, that's kind of disappointing, but not really surprising. I guess I'll just have to look up some good videos and spend an evening piping flowers onto wax paper for practice. At least Youtube is free!

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Made Dobos Torte as a birthday cake. It is super amazing and yet very simple. Recipe

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
That looks delicious and I salute you :patriot:. How was the frosting? I'm hesitant to use raw eggs in something that's unrefrigerated.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Brennanite posted:

That looks delicious and I salute you :patriot:. How was the frosting? I'm hesitant to use raw eggs in something that's unrefrigerated.

The frosting had a great texture. I think there is a lot to vary to taste with the type of chocolate used. With the chocolate I used it ended up just slightly too sweet overall (for me). I think that if I make it again then I'll make the frosting with a stronger darker chocolate.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

Brennanite posted:

They sell pasteurized eggs in the shell for situations like this!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
And if you have a sous vizzle machine you can pasteurize your own eggs.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Twins had their 1st birthday party this weekend. My fiance made a classic cream cake with peaches ontop and raspberries and nutella and some other stuff in the middle. Also bilberry pie with whipped vanilla cream, chocolate chip muffins and some homemade cookies (and some storebought):

Bonus kid pics

(My mom knitted the cap)

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!

Third Murderer posted:

This is a free class on craftsy that goes over the basics of doing a cake. It includes putting a tiered cake together but even if you're doing only one tier, the process of leveling, torting, trimming is useful because a flat cake gives you a nice surface to decorate on. Then it goes over the icing process, with crumb coat and final coat. I found it really useful for going through the basic process:

http://www.craftsy.com/class/modern-buttercream/110?_ct=sbqii-sqjuweho-qbb&_ctp=110,3

I think one of the easier ways to make a cake look nice is to do some sort of buttercream stripe or ruffle, especially one that has more of a rustic look because then you don't have to do it perfectly. As already mentioned you can find a lot on youtube.

Here's one on rustic buttercream effects:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD9HFlNnlbU

Piping with a ribbon tip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93BdP2tobeQ

And just search around, there's tons of stuff on there.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I made a Hello Kitty cake for my daughter's third birthday.

Egg-, gluten- and dairy-free: sponge made from gluten-free cake mix stabilized with xanthan gum, whisked together with oat milk, and filled and decorated with vanilla "buttercream" made from dairy-free unsalted margarine, powdered sugar, a splash of glucose syrup, vanilla and a few drops red food colouring. It was actually quite good for a birthday cake, both the sponge and the filling/frosting. :catdrugs:

The "buttercream" was very nice to work with, even if I just winged it. The cat was made with a chocolate "pen" and I'm just relieved it didn't turn out any worse. Kid was overjoyed, and that's what counts in the end.

Force de Fappe fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Sep 30, 2014

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
That's pretty impressive! I made an everything-free loaf of bread once, but I never tried a cake.

mich posted:

This is a free class on craftsy that goes over the basics of doing a cake. [etc.]

And just search around, there's tons of stuff on there.

This is great, thank you! :)

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
I've recently started baking cakes as a hobby, and while I've been getting amazing flavors from them, I've had an issue with my cheesecakes cracking on top. I'm making another one tonight, are there ways to effectively combat the cracks that form?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Big McHuge posted:

I've recently started baking cakes as a hobby, and while I've been getting amazing flavors from them, I've had an issue with my cheesecakes cracking on top. I'm making another one tonight, are there ways to effectively combat the cracks that form?

Before it gets completely done, turn off the oven and crack the door. Or if you're refrigerating it soon after taking it out of the oven, stop that. Let it come down to room temp fully before refrigerating. AFAIK, cracking is caused by it cooling too quickly.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
One of the cheesecakes I've had luck with has you first turn off the oven and crack the door, then cool it on top of the oven, and only then pop it in the fridge. It's a bit involved but the slower it goes the better your chances of a smooth top. Also I think it helps if you run a knife around the edge of the pan, that way if/when it does shrink it is less likely to pull apart.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Learned that the hard way at thanksgiving last year

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
Going with New York style can also be handy, with enough sour cream topping you can cover the deepest of cracks.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Slifter posted:

One of the cheesecakes I've had luck with has you first turn off the oven and crack the door, then cool it on top of the oven, and only then pop it in the fridge. It's a bit involved but the slower it goes the better your chances of a smooth top. Also I think it helps if you run a knife around the edge of the pan, that way if/when it does shrink it is less likely to pull apart.

At what point do you run the knife around the edge?

(I'm very, very, very new to the cooking/baking stuff)

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011

Big McHuge posted:

At what point do you run the knife around the edge?

(I'm very, very, very new to the cooking/baking stuff)

No worries, we all start somewhere. I'd do it right after you turn off the heat.

Jinglebrained
May 28, 2014
Hi, I'm new. I'm Marilyn. I'm self-taught, and love seeing everyone's cakes here. Serious talent!

I made a cake for my friends' rustic fall wedding. It's a tiramisu cake- coffee cake/white cake layers, whipped mascarpone filling, and a Baileys swiss buttercream meringue frosting. I did gumpaste maple leaves and fondant oak leaves. The ribbon is also fondant.

My friend's birthday cake. Lemon cake, blueberry orange marmalade and lemon/orange zest whipped cream cheese frosting.

If you're pie curious.. ;D

Apple pecan cheese cake with a pecan graham cracker crust.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
If you live somewhere in Southern California let me know so I can steal those cakes and pies from your kitchen. Well...the tiramisu and the pie ones. The lemon cake one looks fantastic, but if I am going to eat cake I'm gonna go pretty hard, you know?

Those leaves are cute as hell, too. Everything looks fantastically delicious. Wonderful.

Ambellina
Dec 6, 2005

Those who ride against us will be murdered where they stand

Jinglebrained posted:

If you're pie curious.. ;D

Apple pecan cheese cake with a pecan graham cracker crust.

:stare:

I'm gonna need to know how this is made.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

I don't have anything to contribute except that I am very pie curious.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
For that apple cheesecake are you basically just baking a normal cheesecake and then spooning on/decorating that topping once the pie cools? I would assume you mix a litttle of that topping into the cheesecake batter before baking as well, right? About how much?

Jinglebrained
May 28, 2014

Drifter posted:

For that apple cheesecake are you basically just baking a normal cheesecake and then spooning on/decorating that topping once the pie cools? I would assume you mix a litttle of that topping into the cheesecake batter before baking as well, right? About how much?

I appreciate the feedback :)

The crust is graham cracker, pecan, sugar, butter, and just a touch of cinnamon. I chop the pecans pretty fine- sometimes it's easier to put them in a sandwich bag and smash them in there. I do a 2-1 graham cracker/pecan ratio. I pre-bake the crust for 8-10 mins.
The cheesecake is just a soft, fluffy cheesecake, I don't like to add the apple mixture to the cheesecake. I do 24 oz. of cream cheese, two or three eggs depending on their size, 3/4 cup of sugar, and maybe a tsp vanilla extract.
The apples are granny smith, I slice them up and add white sugar, cinnamon, a bit of brown sugar, and chopped pecans, toss them, and layer them around the cheesecake, I sprinkle the leftover sugar/pecan over the top.
Sometimes I add a bit of caramel sauce, but it definitely doesn't need it. It's more for presentation on a slice.

I definitely agree with previous posts about letting it rest, I bake it in a water bath for about an hour, turn it off and crack open the oven door for another hour, before putting it in the fridge or anything.

I hope that answers!

KGmeow
Oct 5, 2007

I think I may try that apple cheesecake for a Christmas day thing. There's a first time for everything and if it fails, I'll bullshit something else together!

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!
So the wife wants me to help her make a Christmas fruit cake.... besides being terrified of fruit cakes to start with.... is there a way to make one people will actually enjoy?

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
I made a black forest cake! It was super delicious, soft, creamy, and boozy, the way cakes should be.

Recipe

Notes for next time:
- espresso cream for the middle was a tad too sweet, decrease to 2c?
- no more moonshine cherries, way too strong... the bing cherries in a jar were already really good
- drain the cherries before putting them on the cake instead of fishing them out of the jar, so the syrup won't ruin the beautiful cream :(

jomiel fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 16, 2014

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
That looks pretty loving pro.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
Thanks! I had 2 whole days so it turned out really well. I iced the cake a bit then chilled it for an hour before icing it again. Icing is hard :(

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

I'm a little cat in a pretty hat!
I would totally eat the hell out of that cake. Looks great! And it reminds me I want to do a black forest cake with some of the rum cherries I made this year.

CrateofChihuahuas
Nov 6, 2013

After lurking here for a bit, I decided to post my first two attempts at using fondant. I'm learning as I go and I need a lot more practice, as you can see from the cracks and lumps, but they've been fun to make and the recipients have been thrilled. I just used fondant on these two cakes, but would like to try using gum paste in the future.

This was my first attempt using only store-bought fondant. I used two different brands and found the consistency quite different from one another. The flavor was ok, but not great. The rest of the cake was wonderful.

My second attempt included homemade colored fondant (much better taste) and store-bought black fondant. Parts of the fondant were not as smooth as it could have been and seemed to dry out a bit too soon. Probably just due to my lack of cake making skills and the type of fondant. I'm going to keep practicing and trying new recipes and techniques.

Overall, still pretty happy with the results and can't wait to try the next cake.

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

Is that a Skyrim enchanting table?

I love the details you put in it!

artichokeyou
Jul 1, 2010

These are cakes I delivered last weekend. Pretty happy with them!

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
So my friends were having a Lord of the Rings themed birthday party, which was pretty cool because there was a lot of awesome food. I wanted to do something neat, so I decided to be really really ambitious and do a One Ring cake.

I started with a standard double-layer chocolate cake, and since I didn't want to throw out the inside, I just cut a small trench around the outer edge to give the idea of separation from the ring and the inside part of the cake. This wasn't too hard, but also didn't turn out how I had envisioned. Through some miracle, I managed to get the frosting to the right-ish color for what I had in mind. For the elvish lettering, I used two small tubes of black gel frosting, rotating them out from the freezer (if they started to get too warm, they became a bit runny).

I had never decorated a cake before, and I would not recommend vertically writing in Elvish as a starting point. Half the cake actually does match the inscription on the ring pretty well, but at that point I was having a nervous breakdown so I decided to just freehand it. Who knows, maybe in Elvish it says Death To America or something. I was miserable while making this cake, but in the end I was pretty proud of it.

I had planned on baking a batch of eye-shaped cookies and decorating them like the Eye of Sauron (one was going to go in the middle of the cake), but as it turns out getting white frosting to a nice red color is rather challenging, so I ended up with the PinkEye of Sauron cookies, which I just ate on my own out of embarrassment.

And one of me doing my best Gollum impression:

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
That's really cool and looks great!

Kitten Kisses
Apr 2, 2007

Dancing with myself.
Just realized I never posted my cake from Halloween. Glad to see this thread coming back to life!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
We have some talented loving goons in here

• Locked thread