Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
Anyone ever heard of that ad parody for R-Swipe toilet tissue? It had a very proper sounding English gentleman (or maybe Australian) doing a speel for about a minute on all the wonderful virtues of their new breed of toilet paper. About the only line a can remember verbatim is "bog-dropping turd the size of a submarine"

I heard it on an Amiga demo disk nearly 20 years ago, it was just the audio with the channel 9 logo (Australian TV) on screen. Other than that I have no idea what it is called or where it is from originally. It is possible that it was never widespread, or it could easily be from a well known comedian.

Not really an internet thing, but being from the days of Amiga demo discs, it could possibly exist on Aminet, if only I knew what it was called.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

Squish posted:

My internet lost treasure:
Back when Quake 1 was still fresh, and the expansion pack Armagon came out, one of my mates had some kind of scripted demo that I vaguely recall. There was the obligatory heavy metal music and so on, with various scenes of exploding gibs, all in time to the music. The whole thing was totally :rock:. The only thing that I clearly remember is very last scene - where player A fires a single nail, the camera follows the nail into a dude at the other end of a long corridor, who then explodes in a shower of guts.
I'll be somewhat impressed if anyone even knows what the hell I'm talking about. Actually... this would be a candidate for the "things you know exist" thread.

Are you talking about the original team fortress intro?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krH1ipIlOLQ

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
This one is very easy. I can't recall the artist or name of that series of photos of very realistic looking sculptures. The most memorable one is a reclining, floppy eared, flesh-tone pig / dog / human thing that is suckling a bunch of young. Another, which I am not sure if it is by the same artist, is of a large octopus coming through a doorway.

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
There's an awesome image that's more or less an artist's interpretation of maybe 50 or more pre-Cambrian life forms all on the one page. From memory, going by the shading it looked to have been scanned from pencil drawing or lithograph, but I can't find it on GIS anymore. Anyone know the picture I mean?

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

Bert Fegg posted:

If you mean animals from the Cambrian Explosion, then I'm willing to bet you're thinking of one of the plates from Stephen Jay Gould's Wonderful Life, but I can't find any of them online either.

If you actually mean Precambrian, then a GIS for "Ediacaran fauna" brings up all sorts of things.

Thanks, might not have found it, but that was helpful. It's definitely precambrian, somewhere between those Burgess shale images and this: http://www.hero.ac.uk/sites/hero/resources/15641.jpg

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
edit: nevermind, found it.

monkey fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Mar 2, 2010

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

spleen merchant posted:

I'm looking for this music video that had this really bizarre lsd trip inspired imagery with hundreds of little multicoloured alien men playing drums and this wierd stuffed cat/puppet thing singing. It was an electronic song but had sort of metal style double kick drum breakdowns and keytar lead toward the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FahL3-vC-AA

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
Around 2000 there was a text based game or more like a questionnaire form that was about the continuity problem or the teleporter thought experiment... The goal was to stay alive through a series of choices, like do you get in a teleporter that disassembles your body and reassembles it somewhere else, or being cryogenically frozen to wait for a cancer cure, or have your consciousness uploaded to the matrix. Its pretty much Theseus' paradox, but with sci-fi and consciousness rather than a boat. I've been searching for hours but can only find articles on the philosophical questions it presents, not the game itself. Anyone remember this?

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

ibntumart posted:

http://www.philosophyexperiments.com/stayingalive/Default.aspx

The website has plenty of other fun thought experiment games, too.

Thanks, that is not the same one, but it will do. The one I saw originally had maybe 10 questions and death was almost certain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
^^ I recall that flash thing, but not seeing it and the stay alive thing together. It could be, but then again It could also have been from a couple of years earlier which would be before the matrix / flash games existed. About the only other thing I remember from the original is that it was light text on a dark background.

• Locked thread