Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Under the Tab options, there's a function called Switch Tabs by Scrolling - is that what you're looking for?

Oh, excellent, now I can get rid of the tab bar. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Under the Tab options, there's a function called Switch Tabs by Scrolling - is that what you're looking for?
Oh, that does it. Serves me well for skipping over the changelogs for the last updates. :)

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
So, any extension or built-in functionality on Vivaldi that gives a drop down list of tabs, similar to Opera?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

So, any extension or built-in functionality on Vivaldi that gives a drop down list of tabs, similar to Opera?

It's thumbnails rather than a list (and horizontal rather than vertical) but it's there.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Tiggum posted:

It's thumbnails rather than a list (and horizontal rather than vertical) but it's there.

Do you mean just hovering over the tab itself with the mouse?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Do you mean just hovering over the tab itself with the mouse?

No, hold the right mouse button and scroll.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Tiggum posted:

No, hold the right mouse button and scroll.

Where do I hold the right mouse button down? I've hovered the pointer over the tabs and tried right clicking and scrolling; nothing happens.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Without testing I'd guess the page content area.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Settings -> Tabs -> Switch Tabs by Scrolling

(and Show Tab Cycler for thumbnails)

works here anyway

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

It's not the functionality I'm looking for but thanks anyway.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

WattsvilleBlues posted:

It's not the functionality I'm looking for but thanks anyway.

oh whoops I got confused somewhere, sorry. :)

er, I'm pretty sure that's what the other guy was describing, if there's something else, I don't know.

e: There is a list of tabs if you click the Vivaldi icon and go down to "Window" though.

Polygynous fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Oct 13, 2016

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Polygynous posted:

oh whoops I got confused somewhere, sorry. :)

er, I'm pretty sure that's what the other guy was describing, if there's something else, I don't know.

e: There is a list of tabs if you click the Vivaldi icon and go down to "Window" though.

Ah, odd place to have it but thanks.

Hexaemeron
Oct 19, 2003

Florence Henderson's hand-jobs have Wesonality!

Ape Agitator posted:

Checking in: have they added in a highlight text -> Search With to Vivaldi? Or, barring that, is there an extension that can that draws from Vivaldi's search engines?

It's really fundamental to how I browse and it's forced me to use Chromopera precisely because they have it. I've found extensions but they all seem to have their own search engine list and I add and customize them too often to keep two lists.

This was added in the latest snapshot. It uses the list of enabled search engines you have in the search bar, so you can add or remove as you like.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Vivaldi is trying very hard to copy O12's featureset as well as make the experience better.

They're almost there but REALLY need a sync feature. I have it installed everywhere but I loathe loading and importing my profile like I live in 2005.

down1nit fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Oct 21, 2016

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Hexaemeron posted:

This was added in the latest snapshot. It uses the list of enabled search engines you have in the search bar, so you can add or remove as you like.

Updating Vivaldi right now! Thanks!

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Vivaldi 1.5 has been a little buggy for me. 1.4 using https://chrome.google.com/webstore/...her-info-dialog that extension has duplicated the function nicely.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Chrome's been acting like rear end lately and I finally got sick of it. Vivaldi seems pretty sweet! I've been playing around with it for like 20min and I am happy so far :) Looking forward to chatting it up in this thread.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I noticed a thing where vivaldi will get kinda sluggish, put 100% load on its scratch disk containing the temporary and profile folders and refuse to shut down properly - it closes all windows but a few background processes will continue to perpetually (re?)write the Profile/Top-Sites and Profile/Top-Sites-Journal files (which apparently contain site thumbnails in an sqlite db). I noticed that the former file had become pretty bloated (>100MB) and deleting it fixed all issues, it got recreated empty on restarting. Now Vivaldi runs smoother and shuts down pretty much instantly.

Google seems to indicate i wasn't the only one having the issues, though it can be a bit tricky to spot.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

https://twitter.com/opvard/status/794650425773424641

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Wasn't that pretty much a done deal half a year ago? Or is this just about whatever was left from last time?

I switched of Opera mobile browsers when that news went around last time, and am using mostly Vivaldi+ 12.18 (+ various chromes as fallbacks), so i guess whatever dark direction poo poo goes down next isn't going to hit me too hard. I've made my peace a long time ago.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Nov 5, 2016

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Wasn't that pretty much a done deal half a year ago? Or is this just about whatever was left from last time?
Things changed a little because originally they wanted to buy Chromera browser and Opera ASA (mobile advertising network piggy-backing off the Opera brand name).

For various reasons that wasn't allowed, so the chinese bought just the Chromera browser and the ad stuff gets to rename itself and stay a norway company.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

They just fired the last few technical people in Norway, apparently - the only people left in Oslo are HR, legal and executives.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Wait how are they maintaining the ad system than?

Also, they sold the browser bits, but not the browser people?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I don't know and I asked the same question. Most of the recent browser programming was done in Wroclaw (Poland), and apparently those offices are now for sale. I'm beginning to wonder if all the Chinese got was a codebase, a trademark, and a domain.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

I wouldn't be surprised about that at all. Considering that qihoo only cares about the name, and that o15+ is just a chrome fork, it won't be hard for them to take over from there.

I wonder if qihoo also bought o12 source or whether that was already binned.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
drat, and I was starting to like the "new" Chromera. Although the latest builds messed up the inline find so that it sometimes won't highlight the found text.

And also I guess they added an optimized way to load the tabs of the previous session, and now (again) they load all the previously open tabs when you open the browser -- I think they overridden the option where they would load cached versions for the inactive tabs...

Anyway, I guess I'm trying Vivaldi now.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

AbstractNapper posted:

latest builds messed up the inline find so that it sometimes won't highlight the found text.
Might be a chrome issue. It fails to highlight dom loaded in after the search was started.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Holy hell does the new UI for Opera mobile (android) suck! I don't think I ever actively hated so much a UI change, but this one takes the cake.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

AbstractNapper posted:

Holy hell does the new UI for Opera mobile (android) suck! I don't think I ever actively hated so much a UI change, but this one takes the cake.
What did they do to it? And what version? Haven't noticed anything changed yet on my phone.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Ět's version 41.0.2246.somethingelse, and they redesigned the UI, seemingly entirely.
The most annoying thing is you are now given the option to choose between one of two layouts (previously it was 3), and they are both terrible.

The one is more suited for tablets (it is named "tablet"), because it adds an actual tab bar on top. It's still is the better of the two, as far intuitive design goes, but you can't quick-view or quick manage all your tabs any more.

The other, suited for mobiles is a hot pile of trash. It has a bar on top and a bar on the bottom; the top one has the address, refresh and a "more" menu which hides features that were previously more readily available at one click from the top bar. The bottom bar has the back and forward buttons, a tab manager, a "home" button and a "sign in" button.

Of course it is retarded to have this bottom bar on top of the actual android three button system toolbar, and icons so loving similar to the three button ones, and it consistently results in me pushing the wrong button. And add to that, that the home button takes you to the speed dial screen, but the [+] button in the tab manager takes you to another speed dial screen with common destinations(?) like firefox or chrome tend to do, I think.

Jesus, why go and ruin something like that.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Huh interesting. I'm way back on 37.something from June.

Leshy
Jun 21, 2004

AbstractNapper posted:

Ět's version 41.0.2246.somethingelse, and they redesigned the UI, seemingly entirely.
Of course it is retarded to have this bottom bar on top of the actual android three button system toolbar, and icons so loving similar to the three button ones, and it consistently results in me pushing the wrong button.
Oh thank god, I'm not the only one continually switching between apps instead of between tabs.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
OK, Vivaldi has been annoying me lately with a few changes that aren't modifiable.

First, the "typed" history in the address bar that I can't find a way to disable - I have no interest in polluting my address bar drop down with random google queries, so I activated the split search (search field in address bar) and just tab over when I want to run a search.

Now they've added a button in the address bar that toggles "reader view", which happens to take tab focus (so two tabs to get to the split search field). OK fine, two tabs it is. But it's completely inconsistent when it appears - sometimes it appears other times it's not. So now half the time I'm not focused in the search field and and end up hitting navigating to somewhere completely random (whatever last had focus when I hit enter basically).

/rant of the get of my lawn geezer I appear to be developing into

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

AbstractNapper posted:

Yah, that update made me uninstall Opera on my phone. Which means I'm now completely Opera free. RIP, just RIP

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Turns out that yeah, Opera can do that

:smith:

Mr. Sickos
May 22, 2011

I have a problem in both Vivaldi and Opera where it doesn't remember any previous log-ins. I have to log in manually on Twitter every time I open it. In Firefox it works fine. Anyone know anything about this?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Alcatrash posted:

I have a problem in both Vivaldi and Opera where it doesn't remember any previous log-ins. I have to log in manually on Twitter every time I open it. In Firefox it works fine. Anyone know anything about this?

I had a similar problem with Firefox (after the browser has been on for a long time). Twitter sets a cookie for every profile page you visit and with Firefox there is some maximum number, like 100 or 200 or whatever maximum per domain. When you go over that, the at some point the login cookies will be pushed off the other end and deleted. It could be the same issue.

Unless it happens like "start browser, go to twitter, log in, close browser, open browser, (have to login again)"

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Every once in a blue moon it seems like opera just flushes its cookie login cache and I have to log into everything again. Doesn't happen at the same time across multiple computers either. :iiam:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Good news everyone! Apparently the source code for Presto was leaked to Github and Bitbucket, so if somebody out there (or here) is brave enough to start a browser project based on stolen IP, we'll be finally saved from this Chrome oppression!

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/software/opera-presto-source-code-leaks-online/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Here's a link to one of the remaining working mirrors: :filez:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 19, 2017