Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
11.01 final is out (build 1190). whee.

Includes "some mouse gesture tweaking" for those who were interested. And crash fixes are always good.

(efb)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

TwystNeko posted:

Okay, I've finally gotten annoyed with FF4 again - when the drat thing takes up 2G of memory and lags the system, there's a problem.

Anyways, I'm getting Opera 11.10 set up pretty close to how I like it, but I have one major roadblock: Mouse Gestures. I miss SALR for Firefox. I can use gestures to go forward in a thread or forum, but only if there's no "history" in front of it - if I've used the back button, forward means basically javascript.history(+1). Can this be changed? I use Mouse 4/5 as forward/back, I don't need the gestures to do that. I'd prefer the smart next/prev page in the forums.

It looks like those are editable, in Preferences -> Advanced -> Shortcuts -> Mouse Setup - find the appropriate one under Application that's set to "Forward | Fast forward, 0" and delete the "Forward | " bit.

For the SA specific stuff I'm not so sure. There used to be a SALR script or just a menu script I think, maybe someone else knows.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Wheany posted:

Well, since this could also be one of those things, and I still have the problem myself after a year: Am I the only one whose Opera does not remember what links I have visited across sessions?

That is: I click a bunch of links on youtube or somewhere, they change color to let me know I've already visited them. I close the tabs of the links I just opened, but leave the tab for the original page. I quit and restart the browser. Now the links I just visited look like they're unvisited again.

Pretty sure it does that for everybody. If I remember right they said it was a security issue somehow. It would be nice if they could work around it some other way if that's the case.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
You could always save a session with those sites open. It's under "Tabs and Windows".

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Zpeef posted:

Does Opera have an extension like "CookieCuller" for firefox? Basically I want a cookie manager which deletes all cookies except the ones I whitelist.

Are you sure this isn't possible with the builtin cookie manager? You can set it to ask before accepting cookies, then you'll get a dialog where you can accept or refuse, optionally delete on exit, and remember settings for each domain. It'll be annoying at first while the list gets populated but I think it does what you want.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
eh. reposting from the opera forums:

opera becomes unresponsive, thrashing disk

I have an older laptop that I use sometimes (1.6ghz max, 512mb ram, and I'm assuming a rather slow hard drive) that I've installed Opera on, and it's been more usable than any other browser I've tried. For the most part anyway. Occasionally the disk use led comes on continuously and Opera (and the whole system, really) becomes unresponsive. It doesn't seem to be swapping since task manager (once I get it to come up) shows Opera only using about 50mb of ram, and once I end the Opera task the system returns to normal. I have a hunch that the problem is Opera not managing its cache particularly intelligently - on my main linux system Opera never seems to limit the disk cache regardless of the setting and only seems to clean it either on exit or startup. It's possible that on this computer it at least tries to cleanup the cache, but doing so only occasionally and rendering it unusable in the process. Has anyone had a similar experience, and was there anything that could be done to prevent it? Or does anyone think turning off the disk cache would help? It's only at 20mb now, which is I guess the default, and I'd rather not turn it off entirely because the laptop only has the most basic 54mbps wireless.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
re: my problem earlier, someone on the Opera forums suggested defragging, and that seemed to help. At least Opera still hit the disk occasionally or was slow to respond, but nothing like I had before. I probably won't be testing further anytime soon though since I fixed my main system.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Weird. Opera on Linux has had the plugin wrapper for... a long time. Because Flash on Linux has always been a buggy piece of poo poo. Kind hosed up they pushed out a release that's blatantly broken like that. (Again.)

Definitely waiting for 12.01 or .02 or .23 myself.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Has anyone had any luck getting Google Play to work? I found some free music promo and I've tried various settings but when I click play nothing happens. 11.64 on linux here, do any of the 12.x builds work?

edit: It looks like just downloading may work, and the downloadable "music manager" seems to work but only gives the option of downloading *everything* which I'm not sure I want to do, though I was probably going to just download what I liked anyway.

edit2: still no luck with the new 12.01 build. :argh:

Polygynous fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jul 21, 2012

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Did 12.x change the typed address bar history... again? I used to be able to just hit "f" and get "forums.somethingawful.com" but now it's digging up things I can't even remember visiting.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Tesseraction posted:

Is Settings -> Preferences -> Search -> Enable search suggestions in the address field checked?

Otherwise, what about these settings?
opera:config#UserPrefs|Addressfield:mixsearchenginesuggestionswithhistory
opera:config#UserPrefs|ShowSearchSuggestionsInAddressfieldDropdown

Turned all those off and restarted, still happening. gently caress.

edit: lots of whining about this and related things on the opera forums, no fixes. :argh:

Polygynous fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 22, 2012

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Random whine of the day: It would be nice if there were a way to disable tab stacking. I've never found it useful and once a week or so I accidentally stack two tabs together and have to take time and a dozen clicks figuring out how to undo it.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Yummers posted:

Well, I'm happy to report Opera 12.01 (build 1520) is a more stable for me.

edit: and I was just auto-updated to build 1532 today so let's take her for a spin!

That's apparently 12.01 final.

Not seeing anything interesting in the changelog really. Something about the address bar though, maybe they actually fixed something?

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Not sure if it's an Opera bug or just Flash or what, but while youtube like stuff works fine, older flash-based stuff seems to be broke. Such as.

edit: works in 11.64. goddammit opera.

Polygynous fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 6, 2012

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
What the hell is wrong with tumblr... or opera, or both I guess. I've had this page open for like a week and for no real reason I just looked at opera:cpu and that seemingly short static page has been chewing 10% cpu the whole time.

(Plus a couple other things I wanted to complain about but forgot.)

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Looks like 12.02 RC1 was just released.

Really short changelog, a couple bugfixes. Not many comments yet, but like half are already complaining about poo poo still not being fixed (but they don't care, only report regressions). Opera. :allears:

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
I think it's actually Preferences -> Content -> Javascipt Options -> User Javascript Folder

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Heresiarch posted:

Also, there's a new 12.50 build with some interesting bits in it. Out-of-process Flash is still a bit wonky but it's wonky in a different way now.

Hey, a new build, let's see what...

quote:

Known Issues
  • Speed Dial shows up blank after autoupdate
  • All plugins crash on Linux/FreeBSD
oh. :ughh:

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Hey cool, Flash just somehow stopped working on all versions of 12 I still have lying around. Back to 11.64. Awesome.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Yeah, maybe. I know they've been messing around with the plugin handling, but in my experience in 12 (when it worked) it would stutter and sometimes take 30 seconds to recognize a click.

Anyway, they released a 12.10 build yesterday*, which claims to have fixed the plugin crash, so we'll see how that goes**.

* if you're using 12.50 they say you'll have to install this one manually because of the version number change

** ...and NOTHING. gently caress.

Polygynous fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Sep 13, 2012

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
New Opera Next build (1624)

Rather long changelog, though it's too bad their bug tracker isn't public because I would love to know more about this one:

quote:

DSK-366405 Opera makes the system clock run fast in extreme cases

trip report:
Still getting "Other" spiking the cpu occasionally, killing flash seemed to fix it sometimes but I'm not sure that always works.
Same 12.x being broken with old flash animations not getting clicks.
Fast Forward seems flaky, getting the wrong link, or show image from some other tab?

edit: a second build in two days! which apparently segfaults all over the place so I'm not going to bother.

Polygynous fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 16, 2012

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

mike12345 posted:

I'd like to rebind right click+mouse wheel up/down to zoom/unzoom the page.

Looked into Mouse Gestures, but don't understand what exactly I should look for.

I did some searching and poking around* and couldn't find a way to do that exactly. It's possible someone on the Opera forums knows for sure. One thing that did come up was this help page, which says holding ctrl + scrolling does what you want.

* more info than you wanted to know: most of this stuff is configured with plain text files and oddly this doesn't seem to show up anywhere so I can only conclude it's hard coded like that.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
New build - 1633

I think my fast forward problem fixed itself. Hopefully other stuff too.

edit: spoke too soon. after a while some "show image" gets stuck in the ff button.

Polygynous fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Oct 23, 2012

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Have another build (1639)

Some bugfixes, including the Linux crash one supposedly fixed if you were having that problem.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
New build (1644). Supposedly they're getting close to final. Again I'd love to see their bug tracker. (For instance, flash disappeared again...)

edit: flash works sometimes. I have to go to opera:plugins and hit refresh a few times. wtf.

edit for Oct 31: 1646 is out. Supposedly fixed things. Not any of the half-dozen things I care about. No flash at all again for one.

Polygynous fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Oct 31, 2012

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2012/11/01/opera-12-10-rc1

RC1 is out. Was anything fixed? Who knows?

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
And RC2 is out already.

Says it fixes one of my major problems (DSK-376406 High CPU usage when Downloads list not empty) so maybe I won't have to resort to ridiculous hacks to make Opera usable. :v:

edit: also it's available as a "next" build if you either don't want it overwriting your stable settings or want to keep using your settings from earlier next builds.

edit: and RC3 now as well.

Polygynous fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 2, 2012

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Pyroclastic posted:

(zoom problems)
I haven't been able to find a setting to fix this, and the Opera forums appear to be silent on it. Anyone else have/solve this?

It came up (a lot) on the dev blog and I think it's fixed in the 12.11 build, check the post above yours.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
12.11 RC2 was released today.

You've got all weekend to rediscover unfixed bugs! :getin:

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Yeah, some build or another I noticed that most of the tabs in my session got set to images off. I don't remember anything being said about it on the blog so I don't know if it's an intentional feature or some weird bug only a few people get.

edit: I mean I can kind of see the point if it was intentional since if you've got 40 tabs and don't want to murder your connection anytime opera starts but it apparently only slipped into one build without notice and removed the same so who knows? v:v:v

Polygynous fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Nov 22, 2012

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
I think I managed to get it to work:
quit opera
find fastforward.ini and copy it to your profile dir (/usr/share/opera/ui/fastforward.ini to ~/.opera/ on linux, you can open opera:config and search for "fast" to see where it's looking for it)
copy & paste the little › thing
I put it right after the ";Special ones" line like so, don't know if it will work elsewhere
code:
›=150

Polygynous fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 1, 2013

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Are you using the latest version with updates enabled? Specifically have a look at http://www.opera.com/docs/browserjs/. Problems with gmail seem to pop up now and then and that's Opera's bit of voodoo to make fixes (mostly site-specific) between releases.

There were problems with 12.10 or so but those seem to have been resolved and I'm not seeing anything more recent on their forums. edit: Found some stuff about gmail being "slow" but that's about it.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
woo, a new build! with a "new new auto-update mechanism"! And probably other things! :v:

Yeah, I'm getting the thing with the breadcrumbs too, anything other than just left clicking doesn't work. I just assumed it was the magic javascript poo poo messing up.

edit: greetings from eXpl0dngR0botz! :catstare:

Polygynous fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jan 18, 2013

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
No linux build? t('.'t)

Maybe if I'm feeling masochistic later I'll see how broken it is in wine.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
I was about to say something about how long it's been since the last build and how the natives were getting restless but it turns out it wasn't quite two months. Or ages in internet time I guess. :v:

But yeah, I'll be fine with it as long as they actually pay attention to user feedback and fix bugs and implement missing features. And push out a linux build as promised.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
huh, yeah. I'm in that 90% and my reaction was still YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON FEATURES, YOU WILL REGRET THIS for some reason. Then again I'm still using 12 and wishing there was a way to disable tab stacking.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

AbstractNapper posted:

I can't find such setting in opera:config, or the UI Settings->Preferences->Advanced
Like Cuntpunch said, there's also no option about tab grouping at all. I don't actually mind the manual tab grouping. I've used it extensively. Though, there have been a few occasions when a tab unintentionally ends up in a group (eg. while reordering the tab bar)

Right, it wouldn't be so annoying if it didn't seem like another halfway finished feature. It's just there, it's not configurable when almost everything else in Opera is... and one of the largest threads on their forums is begging them to make it optional but it's apparently random whether they pay attention to user feedback. And yeah, it's easier to accidentally group a couple tabs when you have like 50 open and they're only 1/4 inch wide and then your OCD kicks in and it takes 30 seconds to remember how to ungroup them. A minor annoyance, but still.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Neat. Also you can't browse to /tmp unless you delete the two sockets it creates first, and plugins stop working after either 24.9 or 49.7 days due to some counter overflowing. Still can't overcome my inertia to switch to chrome or firefox though. :smith:

Polygynous fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Nov 5, 2013

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Does anything other than Opera 12 have functional gestures at this point? That's like 90% of what I care about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
why would you want to read youtube comments