Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magicmat
Aug 14, 2000

I've got the worst fucking attorneys
Opera 10.0 Alpha 1 has been released!

The news post is here.

New improvements include
  • Presto 2.2 Engine
  • Performance boost
  • 100/100 and pixel-perfect on the Acid3 test
  • Auto-update
  • Inline spelling checker
  • Opera Mail improvements, including rich text composition and delete after X days
    Widget Improvements on Linux
Inline spell-checking will probably be the big one for users in this one (plus the performance boost and auto-update, I suppose.)

Honestly, I'd be happy if they just instituted a feature freeze for one major version and just concentrated on bug fixes. Ever since 9.0 it seems there have been a pile of bugs that just accrue with every version and never get fixed. Things like pages that never finish loading, icons that go missing, random freezes, etc. all make using Opera slightly annoying these days. If things keep going like they're going, I may jump ship to Firefox. Again.

But I do love Opera so :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magicmat
Aug 14, 2000

Trip report after spending a small bit of time with Opera 10: It's poo poo-fast. Like, really, really fast. Noticeably faster than even previous Opera releases, which were already fast. It also fixes most (but not all) major bugs I've been experiencing -- though, caveat that some of the bigs hit randomly or only after the browser has been open a while, so they may still rear their heads yet. We'll see.

Inline spell-checking is nice. I don't know if they changed from Aspell or not, but I hope they haven't -- Aspell is by far the best spell checker out there, beating Word by miles. The spell checker didn't know "inline", though, so I'm a bit worried.

Install went nice, too. Opera has always had some of the best graphic designs around, I've found, and their installers always look swank for it. They made a special graphic for just the 10.0 Alphas, with a number '10' laid out as a blueprint and the various major features incorporated into the design. It also, by default, installs into a separate program directory and profile directory, so you can easily run 10 and 9.6 side-by-side.

All-in-all, a big improvement and something I'd recommend for all Opera users, even at this alpha state. (Though I've only used it for about a half hour now, so there may still be major bugs I haven't seen yet.)

Edit: Two bugs have popped back up: The disappearing favicons on the personal bar, and the never-ending loading of certain webpages, though this last one in a milder form. At least I haven't gotten any mixed-up graphics so far, or webpages that refuse to load past their background. Also, there seems to be a bug that causes a weird page-wide graphic to pop-up on certain pages when you scroll or move the mouse. Since this same graphic appears on multiple sites, I can only assume it's some internal diagnostic graphic in the rendering engine (maybe signaling redraw areas?) that didn't get turned off for release.

Magicmat fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 4, 2008

Magicmat
Aug 14, 2000

Is anybody else having trouble with Google Maps? Ever since about two weeks ago Maps will never finish loading. The graphics will load, but the UI that is overlaid won't, and at the top of the screen the yellow bar stays on "Loading . . . " and then, after about 10 seconds, changed to "Still loading. Slow? Try the HTML version." And it just stays that way forever.

I didn't change anything on my end when it started happening, unless Opera updated itself silently in the background (I'm running build 1229.)

Magicmat
Aug 14, 2000

iGoon posted:

I tried using Google Maps, but it can never find my location.

I'm using US Cellular and a Moto Q9C.
Uh, OK. Are you using Opera to do that? Because, afaik, the cell phone version of Google Maps is completely unrelated to Opera.

I'm talking about Google Maps

Edit: And just as mysteriously as it stopped working, it now seems to be working. Huh.

Magicmat fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 30, 2009

Magicmat
Aug 14, 2000

AquaVita posted:

Has anyone's google calendar gotten messed up the last few days? Now mine is all squished to the side. I tried updating to version 10 and it's doing the same thing. Other browsers show it fine.

Blah.
Yeah, that happened to me, too. Hopefully someone fixes that with the quickness.

Magicmat
Aug 14, 2000

God damned, I thought they had fixed this, but ever since the latest alpha Opera has been mixing up images again. Like in Facebook, it will mix up the icon for a photo with the icon for a status update, or try to use the photo icon as the border of a box or something stupid like that.

I had this same problem with 9.x, but the first two 10.0 alphas fixed it. Now, it's back. I thought it was maybe because in the latest alpha they hosed up the side-by-side install process*, but even uninstalling all versions of Opera, wiping out all of its data, and reinstalling leaves the problem. The only thing I carried over from the old install my my cookies4.dat and whatever Opera Link brought over.

This is annoying. I never know if an image on the page is the right image or what. Like, sometimes it switches around user pictures on Facebook, so Bob may get Sarah's picture; I can't trust what's on the page. It's just about converted me back to Firefox.

*The side-by-side install problem in the latest alpha is this: In the first 10.0 alpha opera not only created a new program files folder, but a new folder for your personal data in your user folder called "Opera 10" (as opposed to just "Opera".) The latest alpha ignored this new folder and somehow started using both the old folder and new one together, picking and choosing data from each data store in whatever random way it wanted. Really weird.

Magicmat
Aug 14, 2000

Lakitu7 posted:

Check the paths in opera:about to ensure that a) you did remove everything b) it's not looking somewhere else for the cache?

Otherwise, you've got me. I've never seen that since the early 9 alphas.
Nope, I cleared out both C:\Users\[myname]\Appdata\Local\Opera and C:\Users\[myname]\Appdata\Roaming\Opera. opera:about also shows it's not looking anywhere wacky for the path.

Magicmat fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Mar 6, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magicmat
Aug 14, 2000

Zom Aur posted:

Clean out your settings. There's an option somewhere of how often it should look for updates on images set to a default value of 5 hours. Set this to "Always".
Nope, doesn't work. Changing the default value of when to check for new images to "always" just makes pages load really slow, but images are still mixed up on some pages.

The problem wasn't that there were old images, it's that there were the wrong image. Like Susy has Bob's avatar as hers on Facebook.