Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Careful, updating from one of the previous 9.5x versions to this nuked my bookmarks. Good thing i only use them for 2 side panels. And the bookmarks.adr file is still there too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Double post, since it's 3 hours later and i have some questions:

Is anyone else experiencing high CPU activity when scrolling up and down with the mouse wheel, but NOT with the middle-click-drag scroll? I noticed it while scrolling through threads here on SA.

Similarly, is anyone experiencing input lag when holding backspace or cur-left/cur-right in input fields like the post fields here on SA? (Spell-checking on/off doesn't seem to matter.)

Edit: Whoa, since when is opera conservative with GDI objects? This is the first time I've seen it go below 3000 in normal use in half a year.

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Feb 12, 2009

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Doesn't do anything here.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

They will charge for it. It was originally only free for business customers, but either they actually listened to complaints, or they found out they needed a ton more of beta testers.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Try mouse-wheel-clicking. Many applications have that, but opera has by far the most comfortable algorithm for speed and movement.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Plorkyeran posted:

ctrl-alt-drag gives you hand-like scrolling

:aaaaa:

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

You can check that by entering opera:about in the address bar.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Hirez posted:

Did the highlighter thing stop working recently? (Your own posts, original posts, if you were quoted?)?

Stopped working for me and i'm fairly sure it's a forum change as suddenly all the quote and edit buttons are dimmed.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Aturaten posted:

For example, if I have:

http://www.ndesign-studio.com/

in my history, and type in "studio", I get no results, despite the page title clearly having "Studio" in it.
I just clicked your link, closed the tab, opened a new tab, entered "studio" and it offered me that URL. Sometimes if it's way back in the history you might need to wait a bit.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Sergeant Hobo posted:

So how often has the 10 beta crashed for you all?

Whenever i close Opera. That might be related to my 1.5 GB mail store though.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Fishmasher posted:

With Firefox I have an addon called Scrollbar Anywhere (Hold the right-mouse button and move the mouse to scroll). By default in Opera you can click the middle mouse button and it's similar, but feels floaty. With Scrollbar Anywhere it's like you're gripping the page and it's satisfying. Does anybody know what I'm talking about and how to create that in Opera with a mouse gesture or something?

You should be able to do that with ctrl+alt+drag. Honestly though, it'd be better to get used to opera's middle-click scroll since it really doesn't suck like firefox's.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Aw who am i kidding its probably just gonna be a built in twitter client. :(

Pretty much: http://twitter.com/Hicksdesign/status/2115660578

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

awd55 posted:

JIRA.
You have my goondolences.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

I actually think that if it's usable and simple enough it might gain some traction. One of the main problems nowadays with everyone being behind a router and two firewalls, with no idea how to configure either of them is that most people have no idea how to easily share files with other people, which leads to people using such horrible shitholes as rapidshare or megaupload. If this can circumvent that problem, it'd be really neat.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

I tried out Opera Turbo today and found out something neat: It allows me access to sites that are otherwise broken for me.

For example, i can never read perlgeek.de, because the site just plain won't load for me. However with Turbo on it works just fine.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

ufarn posted:

Colour me unamazed. Weird that they hyped it so much - albeit without any big campaigning, though, but they were pretty bold about it.
That's what marketing is about : How well and confidently you exaggerate. Just look at Safari or Firefox. They often flat out lie in their marketing poo poo.

Plus, the people reading here are very much geeks for whom this is very old news. However to the normal person the concept of "I can have my friend listen to a song on my computer without waiting ten minutes to upload it to somewhere?" will be pretty amazing.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

bt_escm posted:

I really don't understand who this is for. Do they think there are that many people with content that don't know how to post it somewhere?
How about people who do not want to post it somewhere but want to make sure it only goes to the recipient?

The point here is not the feature itself. It's already clear that it is available to everyone elsewhere already, the point is the simplicity and convenience coupled with the control it offers.

Besides, keep in mind that the average lay person makes up at least 60% of the populace. ;)

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

^^^^
As long as there's no search, it'll be pointless for that and even so, it's the responsibility of the users.

Zom Aur posted:

I'm really interested to see what kind of security they can enforce on this.

quote:

Access Control
Choose an access option for these files and save it:

• Public: Allow anyone to access these files.
  • Limited: Limit access to only those with the full URL. Send your friends the URL above, which includes a unique password that you can edit.
  • Private: Only you can access these files. (Requires you to be logged in to your my.opera.com account.)
You can set this per service and you can set up multiple services with unique settings. For example, right now i have a file sharing service with my web dev stuff that's private, and a public one with random files for irc.

Something I'm missing is the ability to restrict access to other my.opera.com accounts.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

^^^^
Out of the range? In what manner? If you mean experience and know-how, yes.

ufarn posted:

Are they making two separate versions to make using Unite optional?
It's like Turbo or Link or IRC or Mail. By default disabled, enabled by the user.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

I just realized something else interesting: As far as i know Mozilla can not put this feature-set into firefox. Unite is based around the already existing proxy infrastructure Opera built and maintains around their Mobile and Turbo offerings. This means there is a lot of code in there as well as a constant cash drain server maintenance and bandwidth. I doubt Mozilla has the capabilities to provide that. And if they do not have that, then any kind of web server they integrate with FF will be useless in comparison as it doesn't automatically go through firewall/NAT.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

timb posted:

However, the average consumer has a 256/512k upload cap, if that. If they're streaming music to a friend, doing anything else on the internet will be painfully, painfully slow.

The Opera video acts like servers are supercomputers or something, but that's not it at all. They're servers because they're well connected.

Actually, MANY people i know are upgrading and often also are GETTING upgraded. Three year ago 1mbit lines were the norm, nowadays 5-6 MBit lines are the norm. Plus, from my testing it, the music sharing app actually limits itself to only 90% of the max upload, which can be derived from ping tests.

Granted, I'm in Yurp, situation in the USA might be different.

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 16, 2009

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Okay, yeah, now you're dumbshitting. If you really need to understand what Opera is and does, keep in mind that their browser is most comparable with Apple computers and that they, financially, are an extremely successful company due to their mobile brand. The Desktop browser at this point is pretty much only their experimentation ground where they gently caress around with stuff they deem neat and think up new features that everyone else gets to copy then.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

ufarn: It has stuff for geeks too. I mean, what other website do you know which is globally accessible and where you can just stream your own music from with absolutely zero hassle or setup involved? Plus, there's the whole infrastructure that allows you to write your own services.

Edit: They're probably also expecting interest to spread as it's used. When you link your photo directory to people there's a small blurb in the top right that explains what this is in two sentences and invites people to try it out for themselves. So once the geeks start using it it'll advertise itself to everyone else.

Greenfield posted:

When Opera is streaming to your friends or whatever, is it traffic from port 80? Wouldn't your ISP be mad about running a web server?
First off, they have no reason to be mad. You pay for the bandwidth and its yours to use as you please. Any ISP that complains about that is nothing more and nothing less than a band of frauds.

Either way, i just tried it and it streams through ports 5400+ for me.

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 16, 2009

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

For those who don't want to wade through the Opera documentation, here's a small run-down:

Every web service is a single web server application hosted inside the Opera task. The application itself is written in Javascript, so you basically set up your global variables for the application and then a few event hooks that define which url path calls which javascript function. I'm not sure exactly how the global variables are handled, but it looks like they are stored indefinitely as the application state.

Additionally you can make use of a "sandboxed" File IO system which allows you to both read and write to HDD from what I've seen so far; as well as a simple templating library.

As such, while you don't have access to SQL niceties or the usual scripting languages, you have a language that's powerful and fast at your disposal and passable storage possibilities for even medium-sized tasks.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Just enter it in the address bar. opera:config gives you all options of Opera, whether they're in the config dialogue or not.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Casao posted:

Report a site problem and see if it gets fixed, my completely out there guess is that it's not being supported because of the <b> tag in the fall back text, because otherwise I don't see why it wouldn't be working.

Even when you completely edit out the fallback text and reload from cache it doesn't work. My guess is that the feature only worked in that one labs preview version.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Make a backup of your Opera stuff and install the latest beta version. On one of the updates it told me it needed to do some maintenance on my mail stores and spent 10 minutes working. Maybe that'll help you too.

Alternatively you could maybe try importing the emails manually into a fresh installation via the file>export/import menu.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Great to hear it worked out. Also gives me more incentive to play around a bit with removing parts of my email store to backup, as it gets pretty old to have it handle as much mail as i have all the time.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Here you go then: http://help.opera.com/Windows/9.60/en/keyboard.html

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Duct Tape posted:

I know this feature has been in Firefox for a while, but can Opera use wildcards in bookmarks? For instance, if I bookmark http://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&username=%s with the Nickname "goon" and type "goon Duct Tape" into my address bar, can I get Opera to send me to http://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&username=Duct Tape?

This site explains the Firefox feature a bit better.

I would kill for a feature like this.

Opera has had that for ages. To get a quick demo, go to google, right-click the search field and click "Create Search". Then click "Details>>>" and you'll see it with all relevant value pre-filled, from where you can then modify to how you like it.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Link to those scripts and I'll see if i can globalize them.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

You can also access that menu by hitting Alt, making the huge button there unnecessary.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Uh, not here. In fact, i have no idea how a popup menu would even resize stuff.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Many people have simply put, utterly retarded firewall/router mixes. When trying to fix poo poo for people using sites of mine I often got told they run 2+ firewalls, or have paranoid settings enabled just to be sure, which even strips referrer headers from http packets.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

It happens very rarely to me due to Opera just plain overloading. For that purpose i have a little batch file in my quick launch menu that copies the contents of the session folder elsewhere as soon as Opera does crash. That way i can usually restore a good state from one of the .bak files even if it does eat the session file.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Just run the installer again and tell it to install in the proper directory.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

The font size is ok, the icon is too big. Try unpacking the theme, making the icon a bit smaller, packing it again and loading it, then restarting opera.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Wheany posted:

Except if I want to go back a dozen or so pages.

Just hold your right mouse button and click the left one a bunch of times. :)

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

This list has always served me well: http://pgl.yoyo.org/as/

That aside, we could help you a lot better if you could just ask how you can do XYZ instead of dropping some very vague complaints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Sometimes Opera gets confused with iframe and such. When something like that happens, try switching to another tab, back, then left-click some empty space near the input field, right-click to bring up the context menu, left-click again at empty space to close it. After that the input field should work.